OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 13:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Oh What A Feeling.....
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 00:01 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Well tonights TT produced a match for me to be proud of! I turned up a bit late as we did a re-enactment of the last supper at my church in celebration of Easter before hand (perhaps God thought I deserved a break for being good, haha). So anyway, I turn up to see my teammate being slaughtered by a 16 year old kid who is one of the very up and coming juniors of the club that is playing div 1 as well as div 3. My mate went down 4-0 and I thought oh oh. Their other player hadn't turned up yet, so this kid was eager to have another feed...on me! Now I can't even remember being 16, but the energy in his shots against my mate had me rather concerned that I would be lamb to slaughter.

So we had a quick warm up and I tried to adjust my eyes to the lighting. Then we got underway. Now to say I was thankful for the pips against this kids serve is an understatement. Even with them I had to work out how to return them so I didn't send them over the end or the edge or whereever his spin lead them. I managed to adjust well enough to win the first game 11-9! My mate was gasping that I'd taken a game.

We got into the second game and he took some control early with the first 3 points and I finally got on the board on the 4th point. We then exchanged shots and his smashes were deadly. Not the fastest I've seen, but well paced with speed enough, not to mention how low he kept them, to be unreturnable. However, he had enough of them going into the net or sending them over the end to start worrying him. I think having lost the first game, when he expected to trounce me, was also playing on his mind. Of course it was the neptune pips doing their job that was upsetting him. But I don't think he cottoned onto this. So I took the second game 11-7.

In the third game he came out with guns blazing and his loop smashes were more effective, and I thought I was going to drop this one. I had said to myself after winning the first game I have a chance of taking out the match, but if I drop a set I'll have trouble containing his confidence. Well he got me to 9-4 and I thought here we go-oo. I got 9-5. He got 10-5, dammit. The next 5 points are like a distant memory, but yes I won them all. He then won to go 11-10. I evened to 11-11. I got to 12-11. It was tense. I thought I need to win the next point. We rallied a bit, and finally he popped one up on my BH pips about a foot out from the net - a bit of a stretch for a short guy, but my bat was there. Now I do fear flicking or smashing off the pips, but I thought this was worth the risk. Ooops! :oops:

What happened next was totally hilarious from my point of view, but not his :lol: . I flicked at the ball intending to swat it across to his BH side, which is of course where he went. I caught it on the top LH side of the blade and it flicked straight at the tables edge on his FH like a bullet! Yep, it hit the edge hard and pinged off much to his disbelief!! :D I heard him mutter "3 nil, you gotta be kidding me". I kinda had the same thoughts, but for a different reason :lol:

OK, so we got into the 4th set and I thought I have to keep pressing or I could still go down. To the kids merit, even though I could feel his seething from the other end, he kept his head pretty well. He started to stop going for smashes unless they were dead kills. But my serve had been catching him out a lot. The number of times he muttered "good serve" when he put the ball in the net I'd lost count of. So with him not smashing so much and playing a placement game I just had to hang in with him and try to force errors, and they came. His pushes eventually would miss the edge by an inch or so here, and a foot there. I got in a smash and a loop here and there and managed to push the score to 9-4. I breathed a bit, and on that 13th point where he smashed into the net out of pure frustration, I knew I had him (but there was this little voice that said it aint over yet, take care). Well was I ever right that I had him. The next 2 points were replicas of the 13th. Smashed into the net, although he did seem to think he had a real chance of getting the last smash as it wasn't quite as reckless. I almost couldn't believe it when he put that last ball down though.

This was my best victory for the season so far, as this kid was one of the players I really expected to be trounced by. So to beat him 4-0 was sweet. Equally, he was devestated by losing, so much that he went and sat in a corner (literally) for about an hour and had his head in his hands sulking. Did I feel sorry for him? Maybe a tinge, but it was well and truly drowned out by the feeling of euphoria I felt. Especially realising the other Junior I have to play next round, who also plays Div 1, had a 7 setter last week that went to 3 all and 17-15 in the last to beat the kid I just beat 4-0!

2 weeks break in that comp for Easter school holidays, so I have to wait to find out how I'll go with him (this kid is like No.2 U15 junior in Victoria or something, and the pro coaches nephew!).

Oh, and the other player never turned up in the end, so we missed out other singles each and the doubles, winning them by forfeit. I don't like winning games by forfeit, but if it had to be, it was best to be against this guy. He hasn't been beaten this season, so is the leading player. He also plays Div1 and has done for years as a 40-something player. Not to mention he is a Lefty AND a penholder. Now I KNOW I would have been trounced by him.

So I drove home in my Toyota with a double...oh what a feeling!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 00:15 
Super User

Lol, good story. WTG :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 00:20 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Great job, Reborn, proud of you. This is good for the boy in his games, so he will seek help from his uncle regarding how to play with your pips. So be careful the next time you play him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 00:28 
VaMP-ire Killer

pld mate, sounds like you realy had him confused by the dark side :P

I love the way you described it, made me feel like I was there at the match

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 00:38 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Great story, nice game you had there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 01:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thanks guys, it was an awesome feeling. Oh I forgot to say the guy that didn't show up...WAS the leading player LOL. Another guy who has only dropped a couple of sets is now top...and guess who now comes in second.... If you said me...you'd be absolutely correct :D .

Actually I've really surprised myself in this comp, having stepped up from the division below last season (my teammate and I are the only ones who are new in Div 3) to play against players who have ALL played div 3 before and many have advanced to div 1 (where the club has 3 of the top 10 Victorians playing according to the organiser). We have one round to go until everyone has played everyone once and I have lost 1 match and a total of 7 sets out of 31 (not including the 4 I got by default tonight, which would make it 35 lol).

Funny thing is at the new comp I started this season, I have won about 20% of my games. I can't work out if I play worse at the other place, or if the comp is just stronger...or both. I think there's probably a whole heap of factors for it actually, so I'll just be happy with how I'm going on individual level at one and team level at the other. The comp where I'm weak my teammates are strong and I have chipped in just enough to have us 3rd on the ladder (or possibly even 2nd after our win this week). We were 2nd bottom after week 4, but haven't lost a game since! Only the top 2 teams play off for the premiership, so if we don't finish second, we still miss out.

How amazing would it be though to win the premiership there, after winning the div 4 prem last season at the other club, LOL? Had never won, or even competed for a premiership trophy in TT before last year, and now there's a chance to add to one trophy with another. That would really BE the Feeling then

:lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 01:31 
Super User

Excellent one, Reb, I'm sure it was a great feeling! I hope your winning streak continues!

Visit my table tennis blog now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 07:08 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

i love reading your 1000+ word posts,
Thats the way to go! Put him in his place!
0great story!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 07:16 
Super User

Yes, I love the way you described this match. Excellently reported!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 09:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good on you Reb!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 12:26 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

metal monkey wrote:
0great story!.

Sorry MM, I get carried away some times with the word count. I hope you really do like it. I will try to cut them back if its annoying. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 16:53 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

i really enjoy all your posts,
i can feel the energy coming from you into your posts

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 18:04 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
metal monkey wrote:
0great story!.

Sorry MM, I get carried away some times with the word count. I hope you really do like it. I will try to cut them back if its annoying. :oops:

I don't think it's annoying. Infact, I think it's quite the opposite!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 23:04 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Oh good, I was just making sure, as I wouldn't like to be missing a message telling me to tone it down. I know some people don't like long posts. Trouble is I like to write as descriptively as I can because I don't have the picture to tell the 1000 words LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 23:16 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

it sounds like you are doing well this season reb. How are you guys doing so far?

As for my team and i we are up on 2 wins but have lost 3. We are currently on easter break and wont play again till earlier next month.law and i normally show up but the rest of the team dont show up so we grab in a reserve from the lower levels but we struggle to win the night. Im training hard in what time we have off plus i plan on going inverted bothsides from now on. I think we will be up against pinkie and k tran soon, but with fingers crossed i hope too not make a fool of myself.