OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 22:25 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Simple questions.

1. Does your league / club require members to only use rubbers on the latest ITTF LARC - list of ITTF authorised racket coverings

If yes:

2. Do you check your opponents rubbers to make sure they are on the latest LARC - simply checking there's an ITTF logo and number doesn't guarantee the rubber is still authorised

3. Does your league / competition officals carry out random checks to make sure members use rubbers from the latest LARC

3. What would you do if you are in a competition which requires rubbers to be on the latest LARC and you find out
i) before the match starts you notice your opponent not using a rubber on the latest LARC
ii) after the match has finished - but the competition is still on going - that your opponent is not using a rubber on the latest LARC
iii) you find out a few days after the competition / match someone you played is not using rubbers on the latest LARC

Thank you

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 23:02 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Isn't a larc a bird?

Our club would have no idea. Having said that its only a small club of 70 members in the country so i'd expect most other small clubs to be similar.

We did ban a custom bat recently. That was an obvious one though. Come to think of it we've also taken a bat off a beginner that had green pimple rubbers on it from Kmart or similar. Gave him a club bat to play with.

So I guess we pick up the obvious but if someone came in with a bat that looked like any other bat we wouldn't know and to be honest, we've all got better things to do than run around checking everyone's bat is compliant.

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 09:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Official ETTA Rulings regarding LARC applicability as enacted in 2009.

http://www.sportfocus.com/reguser/dynab ... mber=17763
========

The general attitude is much the same here in Russia.
While playing in provincial events, very few people would check out your rubber against the ITTF Rubber Sheet, none scrutiny of your racket at all.
However, some "proficient" guys do insist that the pimpled rubbers should be examined properly, and those found illegal should be disallowed from a match.

Be happy.

Last edited by igorponger on 11 Dec 2018, 04:02, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 10:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

How long has the LARC itself been around? I wonder if they started it in 1959.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 11:52 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Nobody cares. Most people will look at opponents paddle before the match starts, just to see if there are pips or anti there, but that's about it. At best may be it's something to talk about later - "Hey, I've heard about this rubber, how do you like it?"

I don't think I'd be able to take advantage of the knowledge that my opponent has Rakza 7 vs. XIom Omega 1 on her FH, so even if the latter is apparently not approved anymore, what difference does it make to me?

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 12:20 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
Its the wild west of table tennis. Anything goes, no one really cares. We all know the rules for the most part and the better players tend to stay within them. But as far as the Larc people are just checking for pips or anti.

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 12:43 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
ditto in SNDTTA as no-one has complained.

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 15:47 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Local league I've never known anything be checked. In the national leagues...at least the divisions I play...the bat gets checked for the ittf stamps only, not against the list.

185g

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 17:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've never seen any umpire/referee with the actual latest LARC. They just check if the rubber is intact and looks legal. To be honest, that's usually all that's important anyway. Should it really matter if a rubber is removed from the LARC because someone did not pay the ITTF their fees? Only for long pimples I would expect anyone to bother checking (still rare since hardly anyone uses them), since most people are aware that some long pimples are banned.

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 19:34 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

igorponger wrote:
Official ETTA Rulings regarding LARC applicability as enacted in 2009.

http://www.sportfocus.com/reguser/dynab ... mber=17763
========

The general practice is much the same here in Russia.
At a provincial event, very few people would wish your racket to survey and check before a match.
However, some proficient/learned guys do insist that the pimpled rubbers should be examined properly, and those illegal should be disallowed from a match.

Yours Cordially .

igorponger, the link you provide is to a document from 2009. Within it Alex Murdoch, then ETTA Chairman, says:

"A League can make its own additional rules in respect of matters not covered in the Laws, such as intervals, practice, clothing and playing conditions, but it cannot enforce any rule which would modify the Laws, such as requiring particular brands of table, net or racket covering to be used or altering the basis on which points are scored."

and then goes on to say:

"I know that some leagues over the years have adopted in their own rules a requirement for players to use only racket coverings that are of types authorised by the ITTF. Players in league matches cannot be compelled to observe such a rule and it should be regarded as a recommendation or request."

However this is taken from the ETTA's Approved Laws of Table Tennis 2013/14 says: ( I cannot access Table Tennis England's website at the moment for some reason)

"2.4.9 The racket covering shall be of a brand and type currently authorised by the ITTF."

So in 2013/14 at least, it was an ETTA law that only authorised racket coverings be used and therefore it would appear the flexibility Alex Murdoch referred to in 2009 no longer exists.

I think I'll contact table tennis England to clarify this as we're trying to give advice to our members about what they should or shouldn't be using in competitive local league play.

Edit - this is taken directly from Table Tennis England's website:

"the ball and also the covering material on the side of a racket blade used for striking the ball shall be of a type and brand currently authorised by ITTF."

Last edited by Debater on 22 May 2015, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 19:38 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

haggisv wrote:
Should it really matter if a rubber is removed from the LARC because someone did not pay the ITTF their fees? Only for long pimples I would expect anyone to bother checking (still rare since hardly anyone uses them), since most people are aware that some long pimples are banned.

There is one player I know for sure in our league who uses "Triumph" rubbers which are very old. They don't even have the ITTF logo on to suggest they were ever authorised - the same with some pre made setups and starter training bats from Sunflex.

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 11:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Debater wrote:
There is one player I know for sure in our league who uses "Triumph" rubbers which are very old. They don't even have the ITTF logo on to suggest they were ever authorised - the same with some pre made setups and starter training bats from Sunflex.

One wonders how many old rubber brands belonging to (mainly British) tire or auto companies have gone by the wayside. Leyland made trucks (and classic hard rubber), Triumph made motorcycles and sports cars (and bras :lol: ). Dunlop makes tires (and still sells table tennis rubber, I think). Armstrong (the Japanese table tennis company) got it's name from a brand of tires they were importing or manufacturing after WWII.

Was there ever Morris rubber? Or Rolls Royce? Or Michelin, or Pirelli, or Bridgestone, one wonders...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 08:42 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
Michelin are helping Cornillieu i believe.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 13:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This made me curious. Had a look at the Cornilleau rubbers on ITTF.org. Indeed - about half the rubbers have the "Michelin Performance" emblem on them! This, curiously, includes rubbers made in Japan and in Germany. Are ALL rubbers made in Germany ESN Tensors? The two Tensors I have (Palio Macro Pro and Rasant) have the Tensor logo next to "Made in Germany", but I notice a lot of German rubbers of many brands do not have Tensor logos - maybe there is another company making rubber in Germany.

The Cornilleau 1star through 6 star rubbers (I suspect these are for pre-mades, like Stiga's) are made in China, incidentally. And there's Performa 1 and Performa 2 which are "Made in Europe". :lol: I remember many years ago Carrefour (the French supermarket chain) was selling film (for cameras) here under their own brand, it said "Made in Europe". Camera hobbyists at the time knew that if film was "Made in Germany" it came from Agfa and was excellent, if it said "Made in Italy" it came from Ferrania (often sold as "3M", "Scotch", "KMart" and "Wal-Mart" film in the US) and was somewhat inferior. I'll bet the "Made in Europe" film was Ferrania (since Agfa had quit making film at the time).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 13:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
iskandar taib wrote:
Are ALL rubbers made in Germany ESN Tensors? The two Tensors I have (Palio Macro Pro and Rasant) have the Tensor logo next to "Made in Germany", but I notice a lot of German rubbers of many brands do not have Tensor logos - maybe there is another company making rubber in Germany.

Not all rubbers made by ESN are Tensors, they make plenty of other non-Tensors. Tensor is a Trademark of ESN for the 'glue effect' rubbers only. Some of the manufacturers use their own logo/trademark to indicate the same technology, presumable to make it sound like it's their own technology. I'm sure they would pay ESN for this privilege. ;)