OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Reasonably priced table
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 11:42 

Hello all, I was looking to buy a table for my home, Does any one know of
any place to buy it from in Perth, I was looking if possible to not spend more than $350 Aud or there abouts. I was also looking for atleast 16m(or better About tt says get 19mm yikes pricey) table top with a consistant bounce, I wish I lived in melbourne or sydney cuz it seems there is so much available there for the price, but if I try and get it here Its gonna cost me a 110 to 150 extra for a decent table (yikes again). I know you can get stuff from ebay does any one know any reliable ebay sellers I dont want to end up with a bad table of course in my attempt to stick to budget. Any help greatly appriciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 12:35 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Rebel sports has Stiga tables which are pretty good quality, though with a thinner top. I reckon these are probably better than the ones off ebay.

I'm not sure where you can get a 19mm table for under 350. Shipping it in is a bit of a killer. Rob has a 16mm that is 250, but that's out of Melb.

Geoff may have higher end stiga tables available in Perth - you'll have to contact him and see what he has though. Again, I don't think you're going to get a 19mm under 350.

If you're not serious about tabletennis, a 16mm table should be fine. If you get serious and start training, it's probably easier just to go to a club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008, 00:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Rob supplied my TT Club with a table with an 18mm top and its very nice to play on. Nice bounce. As Silver says though, he is in Melbourne. Shipping to Perth is pretty pricey, but then its a long way! I would go to a sport store like Rebel and see if you can try one with a thinner top and see if you really are bothered by its bounce. I play at a mates place on a Stiga Triumph which I think has a 16mm top. The bounce is slightly less than those at the club, but for practicing its fine.

Has anyone ever tried gluing mdf sheeting to the bottom side of a cheaper table? You can get 12mm thick sheets from Bunnings for about $8. I think about 8 sheets would do the entire undersides with glue for about $70. Considering the diff in price between a 12mm table and a 24mm table might be worth a go. Unless someone has tried and found it doesn't work, but in theory I see no reason why it shouldn't.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 01:25 

thanks for the post guys, Do you reckon the dawei table would be better or stiga , I went to rebel seems like they are selling it for about the same it would cost me to get the dawei shipped to perth
roughly 350 all up, and yes its a stiga triumph 16mm

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 01:31 

regarding gluing a 12mm underside to a table , I would assume you would get better results if you got a 20 or 22mm mdf and painted it yourself wouldnt you. Has any one made a table or knows of one hand made/home made that turned out as good as a bought one? One would save a fair bit on
the cost of wood for sure , leaving a fair bit for the painting , multiple layers that it might require. Any thoughts; What would be the problems one might encounter?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 01:44 

Hah! I am going to sound like a retard and answer my own question.
I quote from about TT
"in my own opinion, it is likely that the cheapest of any decent brand name table (such as Stiga, Butterfly, Donic, DHS, Kettler etc) will still be an order of magnitude better than anything you can construct, unless you are a master craftsman. So if you would like to build your own table just for the fun of the experience, go ahead. If you are hoping to build a competition quality table and save a few bucks along the way, think again, and then buy a cheap brand name table and save yourself the frustration. You can check out my guide to choosing a ping-pong table here."

Hah looks like attaching an underside to the table is a more desireable option. That is if it works