OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 64  Next
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2016, 07:37 
Super User

mac33 wrote:
The horizon is always flat - across water anyway.
So you're basically saying that every time I fly in an aeroplane I'm not seeing a curve? Interesting theory. But quite stupid.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 02:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mac33 wrote:
The horizon is always flat - across water anyway.

Awesome song!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LYIRoGB3pUU

Love the "Red Hot" song Mac, and I could be convinced the moon-landing of 1969 could have been made in a movie studio...but that's about as far as I can take it seriously. There have been too many people circum-navigate the globe by air and sea for the earth to be flat. I think that one was well proven long before our generation lol. And there is enough evidence of rockets being fired into space not to believe they could take pictures of the earth from out there. In fact, I think they probably have landed on the moon at some point, even if 1969 was a fake just so the USA could claim to have gotten there before the USSR. And I mean the fact that there are so many satellites and a space station out there (which you can see passing around the earth about every 90 minutes if you're under part of its flight path) would make pictures of the earth very viable. I'm not sure how you could explain that away with any great logic.

So I think the flat-looking pics of the horizon at sea can be explained with some basic physics, and if the 1969 pics/vids were fake...it doesn't mean they never got around to it, as there are post-1969 moon landings documented up to 1972 with Apollo 17. So I reckon they probably did end up landing there. And once they did all the tests on the moon they needed, what advantage would there be in returning there? Telescopes have become strong enough to see it clearly for anything else, and indeed see further out into space now. Have they put a rover on Mars? Who knows? What are the realities of anything that is reported in the news that hasn't been witnessed by hundreds or thousands of average joe citizens? Who knows? Let the conspiracy theories roll-on. I'm sure some have truth to them, and some do not. Picking the real from the fake is always difficult :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 16:34 
Super User

On a flat disc you can circumnavigate the earth as many times as you like - as you are NOT travelling to the ice shelf perimeter that holds the water in.

Admitting that possibly NASA lied about the moon landing and then to still be trusting of their other 'facts'- well that I don't get.

I do not believe any side of any debate - based on trust - I do my own research and come to my own conclusions.

Spend a good 10-20 hours looking at the evidence from the other side and get back to me :whew:

Explain how the base of the Chicago skyline can be seen from the 60 miles across Michigan Bay.

At a distance of 60 miles the earth should curve based on a globe model of 2400 ft or 730 metres.

3 minute video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLlNKy5j_O8

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 17:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xClWgidZU

Ok, so I took a look at this which presumes to explain a lot of questions, although I think it conveniently ignores some of the facts of our world.

Without our own private space-craft or at least our own long-range jet, its tough to be categoric about the truth.

I've read a lot of your theories over the years Mac, and some of them I'm incline to agree...but this one takes the cake. Maybe there's truth in it. Who are we to say? If there is truth, it would be our conditioning that is designed to deny it. The longer I live in this world, the less I trust the things we have all been taught to accept without question. Social media is either getting us to open our eyes to it a little, or its allowing crackpots to drive us crazy with doubts :lol: :@ :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 18:33 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
The Fox TV idea that the 1969 Moon landing was a hoax has been comprehensively debunked here: http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 10:22 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

mac33 wrote:
On a flat disc you can circumnavigate the earth as many times as you like - as you are NOT travelling to the ice shelf perimeter that holds the water in.

Heh... which makes you wonder what happens when you fly across this "ice shelf", and why no one's done it. Once you bring back photos of the turtles I'll believe you.

mac33 wrote:
Explain how the base of the Chicago skyline can be seen from the 60 miles across Michigan Bay.

Refraction, refraction, you can use the latest toothpaste...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 14:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Had a good hard think about all of this, and realised the answer lay in my old Navy days when I learnt Astro-navigaton. The stars out there are all named by Astronomers from around the world over centuries. This is plotted on a globe with the earth as its centre so each star has a bearing from the earth in direction and altitude. In order to navigate accurately by this you must use a sextant at particular times of the evening and morning (evening and morning civil twilight is used where its dark enough to see the stars, but light enough to see the horizon), or use the Sun at midday (which is 90 degrees to the earth at that time). The sextant is a delicate piece of equipment that is like a telescope with mirrors in it and it has a swing arm on the bottom. When you identify a star (from its direction and altitude on the globe), you bring it into view directly with the sextants eyepiece, and then swing the arm so as to bring the star down to the horizon (which is done via the mirrors). You then get a reading of degrees the star is off the horizon. You have to do this with 8 different stars to get an accurate "cross-fix", where the lines you plot on a chart will all meet at a point. The chart has no land on it, which is when you navigate using this method, because you are out of sight of land (and yes these days the Navy has GPS), but this was the old way of global positioning. I believe its still taught to new Naval Navigators today so they learn these first principles. Anyway, after you have applied some mathematics to each star's result you get lattitude and longitude lines to draw onto a chart marked with just lines of lattitude and longitude. The intersection of these lines is your position on the earth in terms of lattitude and longitude and from there you know the direction you need to head (your bearing) to go where you want to go. Now the crux of this is if the earth were not spherical in shape, none of this would hold true because you can only see a portion of the stars that are out there for any position you are on the earth, and a flat earth wouldn't have the horizon and angle created by it (between the imaginary line from the star to the horizon and back to you) to the star to make it work.

Now, I've read and watched a lot of this Flat Earth stuff on youtube Mac and yes there are some convenient theories put forward that seem to make sense. And I've read people trying to refute it with facts and theories about our planet, and I can see where its easy to be swayed to believe that neither is overwhelmingly convincing. But do some hard research into how Astro-navigation works, and I think you should be convinced the earth is indeed a globe.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 16:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I think the simple fact that the time of local noon varies according to longitude is plain enough evidence that the Earth is a spinning sphere. This has been known as long as people have been sailing and seagoing clocks have been in existence.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 16:41 
Super User

Good grief. This flat earth stuff has so many holes in it Swiss cheese would be jealous.

If the earth is a flat disc (no, stop laughing and pay attention) then there must a single point north and a single point south. (What's that, you say? All of our compasses are lying to us?) If there are a north and a south, then on a flat disc there must also be a single point east and a single point west. Just where are these two immovable points?

If there's a single point east, then it must be impossible to fly any further in that direction. How is it possible that planes routinely fly in both directions between all points on the disc earth?

There's an ice barrier completely circling the flat earth? What's it called? How come the ice at the north pole has limits? And the ice at the south pole has limits? And the two don't join?

As has already been pointed out, noon happens at different times in different places. Why is it that when I skype my friends on the other side of the flat earth, that it's night there when it's day here and vice versa? On a flat surface, it has to be daylight everywhere or dark everywhere.

And, by the way, how come there's no answer to my previous question? When I'm at 30,000 feet in an aeroplane, I can see the curvature of the earth. Or are all the windows on the plane conveniently organised to lie to the passengers?

Flat earth? Seriously? This is either insanity or stupidity.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 01:44 
Super User

On a flat earth you can still have night and day.

Look at clouds directly above your head. As they move away from you they appear to be getting lower - till eventually they disappear over the horizon,its perspective.

Look I'm new to this stuff - but if you can see the base of the Chicago skyline from the other side of Michigan Bay - a distance of approx 60 miles you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out we've been lied to.

Here is another good flat earth song from rap singer B.O.B

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4Vg_3jRQE

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 01:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

So wait a second. Where exactly does the sun go at night on a flat Earth? What exactly would the sun BE? How big is it? Is it flat as well?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 01:54 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

iskandar taib wrote:
So wait a second. Where exactly does the sun go at night on a flat Earth? What exactly would the sun BE? How big is it? Is it flat as well?

Iskandar

Isk, take a look at the youtube link I put up on it. It explains the Flat Earther's theory about it...not that it makes a lot of sense :lol:

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 02:01 
Super User

The sun doesn't go anywhere - its out of range of sight and therefore light as it circumnavigates the flat plain we live on.

Remember flat earthers mantain the earth is stationary and that its the sun that every 24hours moves around the earth at an approx distance of 3100 miles away.

You can see the suns rays thru broken cloud on certain days - the angle of the rays would be nearly completely parallel were the sun 93 million miles away - instead they are quite wide apart showing the sun to be quite close to the earth.

Do your own research as I'm new to this stuff.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 02:05 
Super User

Reborn TT - there is one thing I agree with you - Gergely blade is he best - especially for the backhand loop.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 02:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

mac33 wrote:
Reborn TT - there is one thing I agree with you - Gergely blade is he best - especially for the backhand loop.

Glad we agree on something Mac :lol: Its probably cos the Gergely is like a flat disc (with handle attached) that hurtles through space at 66 million miles per hour and hits a globe (the ball) even faster back over the net to another unexplored flat surface (ie. the opponents side) :P :lol:

Iskandar...its about the 4 min mark of that video.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 64  Next