OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Long Pip Training notes
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016, 10:21 

Blade: Yinhe LQ1
FH: Tibhar Evolution MXP
BH: Yasaka phantom 7
Coach MacAfee wrote:
Lift against backspin:

This stroke is executed with a slightly open paddle. The stroke itself is very simple. At contact, push forward and slightly up. Use mostly the forearm and little or no wrist action. This stroke, when executed with long pips, allows you to use your opponent’s backspin to produce a controlled topspin attack. This is the only stroke in which you can produce enough topspin to hit with speed.

Sidespin attack against backspin:

This is an unusual looking stroke to most inverted players. The stroke is executed much like the straight lift against backspin, but at contact, the racket is pushed forward and pulled to the right (for right-handed players). Depending on the racket angle this return will produce a wide range of no-spin, sidespin, or light topspin returns, all with some degree of sidespin. This stroke can force many errors from your opponents.
Attacking backspin by pushing:

Pushing with long pips can be very aggressive. While pushing, if light contact with the ping pong ball is made, the return will be a dead ball (no-spin). If harder racket contact is made (more force), a light topspin can be produced. This leads to a lot of high and very attackable returns from your opponent.
Controlled counter attacks: The key to attacking with long pips against topspin is to remember that controlling the speed of your returns is the key to success. Do not over-hit. Your returns will carry some backspin, so there will always be a limit on the amount of speed you can produce. Generally speaking, if you are using long pips without sponge this stroke will be quite slow and carry heavier backspin. If you are using long pips with sponge, this return will be faster but without as much spin. Once again, keep the stroke simple using only a forward pushing motion, with the forearm. Remember, when counter attacking with long pips, let the racket do the work for you. It is the ever-changing spin on your returns that will force errors from your opponent, not the speed of your returns.
Defensive chop blocks:

This stroke looks just like its name suggests—a block with a downward chopping motion. When used against heavy topspin, this stroke can produce heavy chop returns. Often your opponent will be forced into pushing this return back, which will allow you to attack.

Pullback block:

Once again, the name says it all. Against a topspin attack, you simply pull your racket slightly back at contact, thereby taking almost all of the pace off the ball. This can be used to produce a very short return making it impossible for your opponent to continue an attack. This technique works best with long pips without sponge.

Source: https://www.newgy.com/TTCommunity/Archi ... cle_2.html

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016, 14:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Very nice summary! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 01:49 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Yes, it's a nice summary ... and one that was suspiciously familiar to me when I read it, so suspiciously familiar, in fact, that I'd remembered where I'd come across it the first time: https://www.newgy.com/TTCommunity/Archi ... cle_2.html

Seriously, when you quote someone else, you should make that clear. Coach McAfee posts on this forum sometimes, and although he's always been generous with his advice, he might be a bit surprised to find his words quoted without attribution.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 14:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Fixed ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 21:48 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Fixed ;)

By a moderator, I guess? Or did OP actually do that?

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 22:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Moderator :up:

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 23:23 

Yep, I wrote that article for the Newgy Website quite a few years ago. Glad to know that players still find it useful.
;)

Joola Badman OX
Joola Ultra Express 2.0

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2016, 00:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
pgpg wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Fixed ;)

By a moderator, I guess? Or did OP actually do that?

Oops, sorry. Perhaps I should have written "Fixed by Me ;) " :lol:

Hey Coach M...nice to see you!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.