OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 03:59 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I'm close to deciding on using a TSP 6.5 Balsa blade. A friend has currently loaned me one at 75g. I've paired it with Andro Rassant Power Sponge 1.9mm on my BH and Hurricane 8 Hard 2.15mm on my forehand.

Whilst I'm not a lover of soft sponges, the Andro Rassant is fine for my BH. The problem is the forehand and the weight. The TSP doesn't seem suited to hard sponged rubbers so I'm looking for a softer alternative that works with this blade but which isn't butter soft. The weight is also a problem. The set up as it is now is 179g and having played for years with SP's on my backhand I'm more comfortable with a set up nearer 160g but am realistic enough to recognise the extra weight will help with me being further away but I'd still like to keep it nearer 170g.

Typically I'm now having to move back a few feet from the table - not defending but not wreckless all out attack either (not fast enough / mobile enough to play up to the table SP attacking game anymore). If you play from close to the table to mid distance with a TSP balsa 6.5 what:

- rubbers do you currently use on your forehand
-sponge hardness (if known) and
- what thickness.

Thanks

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 07:36 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I don't play close to the table nor do i play with a balsa blade anymore. What I noticed for me was that hard tacky chinese rubbers tend to be strange on balsa. Had you considered a harder tensor or modern rubber like Omega V Asia, Tenergy, or MX-P, MX-S? I actually liked T05 on the Hallmark Aurora blade.

Only thing, harder almost always means denser and thus heavier.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 07:56 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Tenergy has always felt like playing with plasticine to me - soggy.

On the TSP Balsa 6.5 I tried Rakza 7 (which I like on non balsa blades), MX-P (don't like that rubber on any blade - and can't understand why the fuss about it), both Mid and Hard versions of Hurricane 8, Xiom Vega Asia DF and just for the other extreme Donic F3 Big Slam 1.8mm (very soft sponge). The nearest thing I found that was half decent was the Gewo Hype EL but that was quite slow by comparison.

I have a Hallmark Enigma and I used that for a couple of seasons many years ago. I'm trying to remember what I had on the forehand (it was 802-40 on the backhand). I think it was Spintech Dynasty, but that's no longer ITTF authorised. The only realistic option I have left from used rubbers I have left is the Xiom Vega Pro which I've got on my Andro SuperCore Carbon light off+ blade but I really want to leave it there.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 09:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think hard sponged (especially Chinese) rubbers can work very well on a fast balsa blade, but you need to use a thinner sponge like 1.8mm (which also reduces the weight). The rubber will actually feel more lively and faster with the thinner sponge, as the bounciness of Balsa kicks in even on relatively low impact.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 12:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Maybe Batwings, then, since it's available in 2.2, 2.0, 1.8 and 1.5mm sponge. Not much else is.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 14:35 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

haggisv wrote:
I think hard sponged (especially Chinese) rubbers can work very well on a fast balsa blade, but you need to use a thinner sponge like 1.8mm (which also reduces the weight). The rubber will actually feel more lively and faster with the thinner sponge, as the bounciness of Balsa kicks in even on relatively low impact.

Something like Stiga Calibre Tour H in 1.7mm - what's a thin hard sponge such as this like in the short game on a balsa blade and mid distance game. Want the drop to 1.7mm reduce the amount of spin that you can create which would hinder it a mid distance?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 14:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Debater wrote:
Something like Stiga Calibre Tour H in 1.7mm - what's a thin hard sponge such as this like in the short game on a balsa blade and mid distance game. Want the drop to 1.7mm reduce the amount of spin that you can create which would hinder it a mid distance?

I can't say I'm familiar with that rubber. Yes in general you'll lose spin once you start hitting harder (mid distance), and for a thinner sponge this effect will kick in earlier. However Balsa are far from ideal if you want to spin from mid-distance anyway (you'll really need to brush to reduce the kick of the balsa), so if this is a big part of your game, than this blade may not be the best choice.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 19:26 

Blade: Re-Impact Chevalier
FH: Victas V22 double extra
BH: Friendship Bloom Spin 1.5
I think its better to play with thin sponge(not soft) medium or hard on a balsa blade.
I like the Rasant Grip 1.7mm or 1.9mm. They give a lot of spin even in 1.7mm. Smashing and pushing is easier with thin sponge.

Tried it and u will love it. :-)

Greetings

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 07:55 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Thanks for peoples input.

I'm sticking with Andro Rassant Power Sponge (Red 1.9) on my BH and a sheet of 1.8mm Rakza 7 Soft on my forehand.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 07:52 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Played with my new setup. My TSP Balsa weighed 72-73g depending on whether I breathed on the scales or not :oops:

Total weight with the Hurricane 8 on the FH was 176g. Total weight replacing the Hurricane 8 with the Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm is 158g. That's a nice reduction in weight and much better for me. Although I typically have preferred a harder sponge on my forehand, with this balsa blade I definitely think the softer thinner rubber is the way to go for me. Ironically, it's also the first time ever that I've played with a thinner sponge on my forehand than backhand and truth be known I'm happy with it that way. Could this be the "light bulb moment" that I finally realise that thicker sponge doesn't not = forehand use and the thicker the better. Perhaps I can't get passed the "bargain" mentality that paying the same price for more sponge is a better bargain! :)

Thanks for all the help and input folks. :rock:

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 09:24 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
The first time that I used a Tenergy 05 was on a TSP 6.5 and compared to what I had at the time which was a Donic Oct something I thought it was amazing.
Went out and ordered the setup and ended up with a TSP 6.0 because the 6.5 was dis-continued. The 6.0 played nothing like the 6.5 and got rid of it more or less immediately.
Still use the T05 and unfortunately have not managed to get away from it.

Are you still able to get the 6.5 and if it is in limited supply would it be worthwhile getting a backup ?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 09:35 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

It's easy to get hold of in the UK. I ordered mine from Bribar because I rang them and they had them in stock - unfortuanately they sent me a flared handled blade instead of straight but I need it for Wednesday so have kept it.

Just to clarify, this is the blade I'm referring to

https://bribartt.co.uk/product/tsp-balsa-6-5-offense/

I rang Bill Thornton first and he could get it but didn't have it in stock. Custom Table Tennis also didn't have it in stock but could order it for me. I've yet to find a supplier that doesn't sell the TSP Balsa 6.5 - whether they have it in stock or not is another question. I did ask about he graphics on the blade as some show it as having red graphics like a tower and others yellow graphics like a chart.

I've had two issue with the blade so far.
1. the edges are sharp so I've had to use some fine wet and dry paper to round them where my fingers/thumb grip the blade and
2. at the base of the handle the balsa seems to shrink back a little either due to compression of being held or moisure from my hand and that leave a hair like exposure of what I think is the fibreglass vaneer. It's a bit like having a splinter rub against the edge of the palm of my hand. I'll need to sand that back too.

Those two problems aside so far, I like the blade. It's lively for sure but it still has good feel for me and excels at blocks and hits.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 10:24 

Blade: Yinhe 980XX
FH: Yinhe 9000D
BH: Yinhe 955 0.7mm
haggisv wrote:

What about on a slow 10mm ALL Balsa Blade? I tried 2.15mm Hurricane 3 on my blade. It doesn't feel right, it feels that the blade is imbalanced with 1.0 LP on BH. The speed is slow and the spin isn't that great either because the ball bounces back immediately. It has no feel at all. So I put back my old 1.5mm 802-40 on FH. It feels way better. But now I want to ditch my LP BH and place my SP on my BH. With this I'm looking for a inverted rubber with great feel, medium speed but good spin (like Chinese rubbers). Good for close the table allround game. I was thinking of XIOM Tau, Donic Barracuda, Andro Plaxon 450/525...the list goes on. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Update: I just read your article about balsa blades. Thanks a lot! Now I'm thinking of what rubber combinations to put my blade (SP/LP, SP/SP, INV/SP, or INV/LP). I'm more of a hitter/blocker/counter with the occasional chopping. Anyways, thanks again! I learned a lot!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 19:15 

Blade: Yinhe T 11+
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z1
BH: Stiga Mantra H
Debater wrote:
Played with my new setup. My TSP Balsa weighed 72-73g depending on whether I breathed on the scales or not :oops:

Total weight with the Hurricane 8 on the FH was 176g. Total weight replacing the Hurricane 8 with the Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm is 158g. That's a nice reduction in weight and much better for me. Although I typically have preferred a harder sponge on my forehand, with this balsa blade I definitely think the softer thinner rubber is the way to go for me. Ironically, it's also the first time ever that I've played with a thinner sponge on my forehand than backhand and truth be known I'm happy with it that way. Could this be the "light bulb moment" that I finally realise that thicker sponge doesn't not = forehand use and the thicker the better. Perhaps I can't get passed the "bargain" mentality that paying the same price for more sponge is a better bargain! :)

Please provide update after 1 month or so of playing, especially in relation to various techniques, blocking, chopping, looping, mid-distance etc... Like to know more about performances of balsa blades and rakza 7. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 21:42 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

lionto wrote:
[
Please provide update after 1 month or so of playing, especially in relation to various techniques, blocking, chopping, looping, mid-distance etc... Like to know more about performances of balsa blades and rakza 7. Thanks in advance.

OK. After one nights practice, all I can say is my shots are a lot more compact on my forehand side and I'm tending to stroke, direct the ball more than swing at it hard and long. Regarding the difference between Rakza, that's easy. I've had two custom made bats made for testing the difference. Both have the same hard vaneer on one side and a softer vaneer on the other. The only difference between the two bats is the core - one has 6mm balsa core the other doesn't. I have the full details of what Peter made up for me saved somewhere. Eventually I'll get round to filming a proper comparison of the two blades using different types of rubbers. In the mean time I'll do a very brief video for you with a simple bounce test to demonstrate. Give me a couple of days to get that set up please.

Bear in mind, I don't chop. Tomorrow I'll be playing a forum member with my balsa blade and I'll put a sheet of Rakza 7 max on my old setup - Andro SuperCore carbon light off+. I'll ask him to feedback what difference he found playing against the two setups. Often you get more from feedback from other players as they are on the receiving end of the speed and spin.