OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 01:27 

I'm a right hander serving underspin + sidespin towards opponent backhand using pendulum motion. Opponent push the ball back drifting to my left side of the table, which type of spin is on the ball?
I'm thinking backspin and left sidespin (same sidespin I apply to the ball) but couldn't verify during match.
Thanks,

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 01:41 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Do that serve to a friend and ask them to return it - they could top spin it back and return it with some top and side or push it back with bottom and side. But the spin returned depends to a degree on which type of shot they choose to play.

Easiest way to judge is to not play their return, simply hold your bat perpendicular to the table and square on to the direction their return is coming from. Let the ball hit your bat at the top of the bounce and watch how the ball reacts. If it goes down it has backspin on, if it kicks upwards it has top spin and if it moves to the - either right or left, it has side spin on. And if it does a combination of those things, it has a combination of side and top or side and bottom.

Once you've figured out what spin is on the ball, repeat the exercise and this time watch their bat angle at contact.

Their bat angle and the reaction of the ball will tell you what you need to know.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 12:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Debater wrote:
Do that serve to a friend and ask them to return it - they could top spin it back and return it with some top and side or push it back with bottom and side. But the spin returned depends to a degree on which type of shot they choose to play.

Most players at my level can't return backspin serves with topspin (unless it's high and loose enough to kill). Most will push it back because they're afraid of the return going into the net. Let's see - right hand, pendulum - seen from above, the ball is rotating clockwise. It travels over the net. To compensate (so that the return doesn't end up going over the side of the table), the receiver will angle the bat to his/her left (your right). The ball will, in reaction to the spin, come back to your left (backhand) anyway. The spin? If he push/blocks it back, it will have reversed in direction and the ball is now spinning (as seen from above) counterclockwise. If you return it with a flat bat it will shoot off to your left and you should angle your bat to send it to the right instead. Things get confusing after two or three push-returns, so much that someone will almost inevitably push it off the table due to accumulated sidespin (and losing track of which way the sidespin is going). Higher level players won't have this problem, someone would have attacked the ball by this point.

Now, of course, if the receiver is using long pips - the opposite is true. The spin coming back isn't reflected spin, it's an attenuated version of the same spin you sent, so the ball coming back will still be rotating clockwise. This is what fools most low level players of my level. Fortunately for most of us (here at least), low level players rarely use long pips.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 23:28 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
and u gotta see whether ur opponent is lh or rh kinda guy sweats*. lefthander killed me with any forms of pendulum or reverse pendulum, im way too used going against rh opponents, the natural reaction was only formed against them.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 23:56 

Quote:
The spin? If he push/blocks it back, it will have reversed in direction and the ball is now spinning (as seen from above) counterclockwise.

Thanks, that makes sense. I have difficult time to loop these returns because of the sidespin, i will make adjustment then.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 12:12 

You can always try pushing straight forward and seeing which way it goes and adjust accordingly.
If you're looping,,then often your topspin will overpower most of their spin until it contact the other side of the table.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2017, 13:49 

My trouble is my service returns are too much in the middle of the table so I have to remind myself to concentrate on better placement

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!