OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: A newbie penhold chopper
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 04:10 

-Hi. My name Is Julind, but feel free to call me Balamea (its just a random name that I chose to use on the internet :) )
-I am a teenager (somewhere 13-17) I've been playing for half a year now, but started really getting into playing the sport since a month
-I still haven't chosen a playing style because Im quite new to the sport. I like the penhold grip A LOT, I was playing shakehand until February somewhere, but after watching people play penhold on youtube I was inspired to try it out and absolutely love it. It feels so comfortable. Lately I've been mostly playing aggressively, not because I like to play that way. but its the easiest way to play in my opinion. I plan on learning how to chop because of watching Zhang Xielin play, he is probably the biggest reason why I have changed to PH. Maybe his style isnt the most effective one out there, but in my opinion is the most satisfying to watch
-My other hobbies are music,arts,video games and I play other sports too. the one that I probably like as much as ping pong is volleyball.
-I've stumbled upon this forum while searching for help on how to play with PHgrip better and finally today chose to register

P.S: ohh and another thing. If anybody has any more footage of Zhang Xielin playing that isnt from the "the magical chopper" or "ping pong deplomacy" or any other good penhold player chopping please pm me
if you have any advice on playing a defensive penhold style please tell me below

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 12:26 

Blade: Yinhe 980XX
FH: Yinhe 9000D
BH: Yinhe 955 0.7mm
I tried that style once but I didn't like it, too many disadvantages. (E.g. reach, fingers on the RPB side constantly being hit by the ball when chopping, TPB chopping is only good over the table but away from the table it's extremely awkward and difficult, and the advantage of PH over SH is power so playing as chopper with PH doesn't make any sense.)

I understand that ZX is amazing but you have to remember during his era the game is slower. Today such style will have no chance, if SH chopper is slowly fading in the modrn game what more it is to PH chopper?

Sorry to discourage you but if you're having fun with it do it.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 22:21 

genrel001 wrote:
I tried that style once but I didn't like it, too many disadvantages. (E.g. reach, fingers on the RPB side constantly being hit by the ball when chopping, TPB chopping is only good over the table but away from the table it's extremely awkward and difficult, and the advantage of PH over SH is power so playing as chopper with PH doesn't make any sense.)

I understand that ZX is amazing but you have to remember during his era the game is slower. Today such style will have no chance, if SH chopper is slowly fading in the modrn game what more it is to PH chopper?

Sorry to discourage you but if you're having fun with it do it.

In the last two days I've been solely playing the style. Its not really effective but Its quite fun, but I wont say its terrible. with some practice I think it could work way better :D .

Chopping away from the table is quite difficult but still very doable. The backhand chop is what Im struggling with, but It doesnt feel like its not working because of the stroke but because I myself am too sloppy to execute it

I play PH chopping not because I think its superior to the modern chopper or SH chopper but just because I like PH, it feels comfortable :) . Im not trying to get this style to top level, just play with friends and maybe one day join a tournament with it for fun

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 00:13 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
You'd have to be very flexible and fit to be able to play like ZX :lol: :lol: :lol:
He is quite amazing to watch! I have no idea how people are even able to chop with PH in the first place!

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 01:45 

Blade: Yinhe 980XX
FH: Yinhe 9000D
BH: Yinhe 955 0.7mm
A piece of advice. Use your wrist a lot. The advantage of PH over SH in chopping is wrist movement. Due to it the spin variations are wider than of the SH chopping.

Have fun! :up:

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 03:34 

genrel001 wrote:
A piece of advice. Use your wrist a lot. The advantage of PH over SH in chopping is wrist movement. Due to it the spin variations are wider than of the SH chopping.

Have fun! :up:

thanks a lot. Im going to keep that in mind while playing

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 13:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you watch closely you'll see he doesn't just use one grip.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 21:41 

To be honest Penhold chopping doesn't seem to make much sense.
I play traditional single sided Penhold and whilst push/chopping over the table is easy enough and it is easy to add a component of sides-pin to such shots. However defending from a distance chops are awkward and accurate. Fishing with lobs may be preferable.

If for a moment you think about serving. The advantage of the PH grip is it is easy to do side spin serves. This is because the blade is naturally in the vertical plan and the wrist movement is side to side. Of course you can do pendulum serves with shake hand grip but it usually requires a grip modification.

It of course quite easy to do a backspin serve with PH but the blade must be moves to the horizontal plane. This isn't very natural for body mechanics. Serves are produced close to the table and any difficulty can be overcome with serving practice..

Generally PH is good for side-spins and top-spins with back-spins being more awkward.

Just my opinion for playing and watching penhold.

PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 23:03 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

There was a PH chopper named Wang Jun who was in the 1977 Chinese Mens team. It was back in the same colour days but he still must have been pretty good because the Chinese team that year was very strong. Maybe zzzuppp can provide some more info on him.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 04:17 

carbonman wrote:
There was a PH chopper named Wang Jun who was in the 1977 Chinese Mens team. It was back in the same colour days but he still must have been pretty good because the Chinese team that year was very strong. Maybe zzzuppp can provide some more info on him.

what really. I've searched soooo much for penhold chopper content on the internet and have never stumbled over that name. Id be more than happy to read something about his style or watch him play

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 05:15 
Super User

hey, give it a try. wonder if you are playing with the new poly ball yet at you club

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 20:22 

Blade: Prasidha Premade CPEN
FH: Globe 999 Commercial
BH: Moon
Balamea wrote:
...because of watching Zhang Xielin play...

To be completely honest I think you're being inspired by the wrong person.
I know the feeling. I used watch Ryu Seungmin, He Zhi Wen and Wang Zheng Yi thinking their styles are nice.
But truth be told you should really be looking more into Wang Hao and Ma Lin's playstyles (I'd say Liu Guoliang too but his style is obsolete) because they're the ones who've really gotten somewhere in their respective careers.

Choose the right heroes while you're young.

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 03:47 

HuLimei wrote:
Balamea wrote:
...because of watching Zhang Xielin play...

To be completely honest I think you're being inspired by the wrong person.
I know the feeling. I used watch Ryu Seungmin, He Zhi Wen and Wang Zheng Yi thinking their styles are nice.
But truth be told you should really be looking more into Wang Hao and Ma Lin's playstyles (I'd say Liu Guoliang too but his style is obsolete) because they're the ones who've really gotten somewhere in their respective careers.

Choose the right heroes while you're young.

Im not trying to get "somewhere" with this style like I mentioned. Ill try and do as much as I can, zhang xielin is a big inspiration but if it was only because I like looking at how he plays it will probably get boring when I try it out myself.
I really enjoy playing this way and thats why I play this way

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 10:52 

Zhang Xielin used long pips yeah?

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 23:18 

benc6190 wrote:
Zhang Xielin used long pips yeah?

as much as I remember. yes, he was one of the first LP players that got quite far

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!