OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 15:57 

Greetings!

I've got a question concerning Chinese table tennis players. Why are there so few in the ranking?

At first, I thought they could only enter a limited set of players per nation in world tour competitions, but China only enters with the (only) top 7 players they have.

Their lowest ranking player is on rank #41? What am I missing? There must be hundreds of Chinese players who can enter the world ranking, Japan and Hong Kong have a lot more.

Happy table tennising!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 11:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

BeaverPong wrote:
At first, I thought they could only enter a limited set of players per nation in world tour competitions, but China only enters with the (only) top 7 players they have.

They DO want to win as much as possible.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 12:25 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I believe that this is deliberate policy of the people that run table tennis at the national level in China. To play in an Open tournament overseas one needs the entry signed or authorised by one's national table tennis body. To play in an Open event in China, the Chinese players are more or less told who is allowed to enter.

No play in ITTF tournaments = no opportunity to gain ranking points = no ranking.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 02:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It has been said the top 100 in the world are all Chinese.

Not very good for TT. China knows this and has even been working with other countries to help them out.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 04:27 

Haha, some great replies.

I'd like to see these "unknown" Chinese players against the likes of Ovtcharov and Samsonov, how good are these European players really ... I guess we'll never know

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 04:39 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BeaverPong wrote:

I'd like to see these "unknown" Chinese players against the likes of Ovtcharov and Samsonov, how good are these European players really ... I guess we'll never know

The top European players, at least Boll and Ovtcharov, have played in China's Super League. Most of the Chinese players in the Super League aren't ITTF ranked/rated or at least not very high. There are a few videos on youtube.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 05:07 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
BeaverPong wrote:

yeah, I doubt that. I think there are plenty of Japanese, Korean, European players that are legitimately in the top 100.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 18:54 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
wilkinru wrote:
It has been said the top 100 in the world are all Chinese.

Not very good for TT. China knows this and has even been working with other countries to help them out.

I highly doubt that this is the case. I'm assuming they have their top players playing. If Boll can take MaLong deep and Zhang Jike gets knocked out early it shows the rest of the world is competitive. I'd agree that perhaps they could have a lot more in the top 100, perhaps dominate it in fact, but to have the top 100 to themselves... I don't think so.

I'd assume these players played Chinese super league? How was the Europeans records? That's probably the best indicator.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 12:45 
Super User

when Wang Hao retired he could easily have been 6 in the world but this wasn't allow by the cttf. It is surprising that they allow Xu Xin to continue but they have a weakness for penhold players or at least Liu Guoliang did.

if one can't be top 3 or 4 your aren't allowed to play
a child starts at age 4 or 5. Basically they do things other countries wouldn't do.
and time one in late 20 your career is over. If you have injuries or psych problem and can't win anymore there are many other stars coming up.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 14:49 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I think if you search records you'll find it hard to find any imports into the super league winning much higher than 50% of their matches. Though apparently Timo Bill went 8-2 in 2013. That's a pretty hot spot in his career.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 21:28 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
There is the recent case of Sun Yingsha. 16 year old Chinese female, playing in her first international senior event at the Japanese Open, has to go through qualifying rounds and wins the title. Then the next week, again through the qualifiers, ends up in the final against Ding Ning, having beaten Liu Shiwen 4-0 on the way. I think she shadows the future for the Japanese youngsters.

The shock is if an unknown Chinese couldn't beat the best of the rest of the world. (Zhang Rui v Feng Tianwei, but not sure if Zhang came up though the China system).

That being said, I think it is quite clear that Ma Long and Ding Ning are exceptional, even amongst their compatriots.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 22:09 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
TableTennisDoc wrote:
when Wang Hao retired he could easily have been 6 in the world but this wasn't allow by the cttf. It is surprising that they allow Xu Xin to continue but they have a weakness for penhold players or at least Liu Guoliang did.

Xu Xin has about 200 more ranking points than JZK. If anybody were due to get the boot it would be the latter.

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 09:00 
Super User

kaesees wrote:
TableTennisDoc wrote:

Xu Xin has about 200 more ranking points than JZK. If anybody were due to get the boot it would be the latter.

I agree. Jzk is so injury pron now. But after what just transpired in the China open jzk may be the only one left.