OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 19:31 

Update - current version :

Hi all!
My name is Sergey, I am from Ukraine, and I'm a big fan of table tennis. Few years ago I started to develop my own programmable table tennis robot. Let me show, what I've created since now

The robot has many parameters, which provide fine-tuning of all hardware – you can configure each part of robot from an Android application
    Motors speed limits
    Servo motor limits
    You can use bipolar stepper motor or geared DC motor for ball feeding with controlling of motors parameters
    You can setup sound beep before shoot
    Self-learning system for use any IR remote
    An optical sensor used for detecting ball near motors. You also can setup sensor level from Android device

The robot can work in different modes:
    One preset mode with real-time controlling of parameters
    One out of five programs, which you can create and save in robots memory. It allows you to start them just with IR remote without any smartphone

The robot is controlled via Android application with Bluetooth LE (app was written with Xamarin Forms framework). You can setup tons presets and create a program based on them - up to 200 presets for one program. After that you can run a program from IR remote even without a smartphone.

Also, you can use any IR remote, because robot can learn commands from any IR remote and save them for the future.
My robot is still under construction.

Now I am a participant of "ST Embedded World 2017 Contest" with this video https://community.st.com/videos/1284-table-tennis-robot.
If you enjoy my project, please support me - please like this video at st.com (registration is required, it takes 2-3 minutes). This will help me to win 3D printer, so it will give me ablility to continue my work. Thank you.

Last edited by vedroitt on 13 Sep 2019, 15:11, edited 4 times in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 19:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Very cool! :clap: :clap: :clap:

So it looks like it has 2 wheels, which can be controller independently, right?

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 19:56 

haggisv wrote:
So it looks like it has 2 wheels, which can be controller independently, right?

Yes, you are absolutly right. Step of speed change is 50rpm, speed range of each wheel is 700-7000rpm (can be extended up to 8000rpm). And any of them can be reversed.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 20:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I love the idea of making everything programmable. :up: In theory you should be able to produce any type of spin and speed independently. Unfortunately, it's very hard to make them truly independent, even the top robots have trouble with this.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 20:06 

I think with 50rpm speed step you really can do any spin. This is real precisely speed, which measured by system - not approximation.
But you also must have a patience for creating programs for yourself (then you can simply save them in your smartphone)

P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my native language

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 04:48 

Hi all!
I have finished with developing of Android app for my robot, here is result (sorry, the video with Russian language, but it has English subtitles)

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 13:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Wow that looks fantastic, great effort! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 16:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

He's obviously got access to a nice workshop with some tools.. :lol: Actually, these days, a great deal of stuff you'd need is available through the likes of banggood.com - stepper motors, controllers, gears, even aluminum extrusions and microprocessor-based stuff like Arduino. People make things like robots and 3D printers out of it. Of course, you need the skills to put it together, and I'm in awe.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 17:02 

Actually, I have a lot of tools (I'm a developer for bravekit.com), so it's not problem for me :)

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 15:27 

Yesterday we tested my table tennis robot at "Meteorit" tennis club in Kharkiv. Here is a short video with some robot's abilities :D

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 04:57 

Nice robot & smart phone controller! I wonder when the robot manufacturers will get with the times and have something similar.

Have you thought about some kind of net? Even if the current version doesn't automatically recycle, collecting balls all around the room is not fun. The newstar has a design that lets you move the robot up to 2 m away from the table and still have the net attached to both the robot and the table http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=27169

Also, have you thought about having rotating heads so you can impart side spin?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 05:05 

YohanC wrote:
Nice robot & smart phone controller! I wonder when the robot manufacturers will get with the times and have something similar.?

Thank you! I don't know what are manufacturers going to do, but I already have it ;)

YohanC wrote:
Have you thought about some kind of net? Even if the current version doesn't automatically recycle, collecting balls all around the room is not fun. The newstar has a design that lets you move the robot up to 2 m away from the table and still have the net attached to both the robot and the table http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=27169

It's not simple question. My opinion is, Yes, it would be useful, but:
If you use any robot at home, it's not problem to mount any grid around your table - you have to do it only once, and then you can use it everyday.
But if you have no own tennis table (or a place where you can mount it), probably you will use robot in gym or in the tennis club. In this case you have to setup your robot near the table again and again, each day. I think additional grid can be a problem in this situation.
I have thought about creating the compact robot, which can be used in any place and will have small weight - like a Trainerbot, but it has container only for 30 balls, for me it's too small quantity. My robot has basket for 100 balls, and I suppose my robot is more powerful and can create much faster balls with precise spin.
Newstar is a big robot, so it can be hard to bring it to gym every day :whew:

YohanC wrote:
Also, have you thought about having rotating heads so you can impart side spin?

Yes, I thought about this, but again - it is going to increase head's weight and cost. Maybe later :-)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 04:05 

When will you take orders for the robot? :)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 04:31 

tt-jim wrote:
When will you take orders for the robot? :)

Maybe this autumn :)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 04:51 

About catch net, you could use something like the ipong catch net (they have two versions), and devise some sort of automatic collector that would feed the balls into the bucket.... voila you have an automatic ball recycling system. Such a system would be really great.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!