OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Road to top 500
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 07:29 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Rawr wrote:
Well, the seller I found did not have the blade anymore. I'm back to square one. I found a listing on the japanese version of ebay, but the auction had ended in 2015. There has to be somewhere I can get it.

Just get a Stiga Allround or similar to start with (or perhaps the more stiffer Stiga NCT Allround). Victas 401 in 1,8 mm is a great rubber for that purpose. I would also think that the new inverted from der Materialspezialist (turtle something) would work. But that one I haven't tried. LKT Pro XT is a cheap rubber that also could work. Or a thin Mark V. There are also Friendship rubbers in 1.0 - 1.5 mm that might work.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 07:49 

Blade: VKMD
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: SSPC 2, 1.5
The setup I have been using while trying it out is a VKMO with two cheap chinese rubbers. I feel like it has been going well, but both rubbers are max thickness and the backhand chops are good but inconsistent. I have actually found the biggest problem to be when I'm at the table and I sometimes try to hit the ball as if I had LP. I am the kind of person who usually doesn't change rubbers, and I really dislike changing blade, but I guess I'll have to try.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 18:43 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Rawr wrote:
The setup I have been using while trying it out is a VKMO with two cheap chinese rubbers. I feel like it has been going well, but both rubbers are max thickness and the backhand chops are good but inconsistent. I have actually found the biggest problem to be when I'm at the table and I sometimes try to hit the ball as if I had LP. I am the kind of person who usually doesn't change rubbers, and I really dislike changing blade, but I guess I'll have to try.

If you already have a blade you like and it is within the rangenof what would be suitable for your game you should not change it. Keep it and keep going with cheap rubbers for awhile. It will take some 3-6 months to re-program your brain and muscle memory to ignore LP-strokes completely. I had to struggle first 5 months to not back away from the table when I decided to change from modern defensive to playing close to the table.

Post subject: Road to top 500
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 18:50 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

If you want a really slow, cheap and good chopping-rubber to start with (not good for attacking) you should try Gambler Reflectoid (used to be available at wookiesports.se).

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 01:57 

My plan right now is to stick with the setup I have now until I am more used to playing with an inverted backhand. I think using the VS > 401 is the best, because I have used that rubber on my forehand when I was learning to chop on that side. I don't think changing forehand rubber is needed, although I did get some suggestions when I was at the camp. One of the female coaches, former top 100 and with a sister who is a chopper, told me that I should not use a hard and tacky rubber. The chinese coach I had didn't think there was anything wrong with it though, so I'm not sure I want to change.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 08:14 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Rawr wrote:
My plan right now is to stick with the setup I have now until I am more used to playing with an inverted backhand. I think using the VS > 401 is the best, because I have used that rubber on my forehand when I was learning to chop on that side. I don't think changing forehand rubber is needed, although I did get some suggestions when I was at the camp. One of the female coaches, former top 100 and with a sister who is a chopper, told me that I should not use a hard and tacky rubber. The chinese coach I had didn't think there was anything wrong with it though, so I'm not sure I want to change.

Soft for chopping can be good but also hard and sticky. Use what feels right. There are choppers with H3 on FH who chops good with that and then there Joo who uses T64, very fast. I have tried both, very different feeling and tou can do different chops with them. But chopping might not be what you do most, perhaps pushing over the table, blocking, serving, returning serves, etc, is more important?

I gave my son a Rasant Beat, very soft and very controlled, good for blocking. Stiga Boost TC in let's say 1,8 mm is also good.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2017, 02:24 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Hey, I just wanted to ask; how's double-inverted defense going? You haven't posted in a LONG time :o

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 09:37 

Playing double inverted was the most fun I've had while playing table tennis, but I had to switch back to lp in the end. I lost a lot of ranking points at first, then I was more or less finding my footing and working back up to my old level. But at the same time I started training at another club because of school related stuff and trying to make practice sessions line up with new work times. I got a new coach there, who is really good at training choppers and loves the defensive style. He insisted that I switch back to lp, plus I had to perform at a good level in the league season. It was taking too long to get back to my original level before the switch I think. I still want to play that style, but I feel like you have to do that from the start if you want to be effective with it. I will probably end up trying it again in the future.

Some other good news, thanks to the new coach I have. I feel like I am really playing like a chopper now. My matches against good loopers are better and I get to train with really good players. I am able to chop on both sides and get into good rallies. I think my play is much nicer to look at now. My forehand is actually a dangerous weapon and my opponents can no longer just push without thinking, I have a good record in our league and I might get to move up to division three next year. My ranking points are not back to where they were, but I'm rising quite fast right now, although I don't really think about that a lot. The results in the league is the most important part to me.

I have been considering playing with sp instead of lp, as a sort of compromise between inverted and lp. I talked about it with my coach a little bit, but I haven't decided on anything. I won't switch until the league season is over at least, but if I'm moving up a division next season, then maybe trying to switch around again is not the right thing to do. We'll see I guess.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 12:57 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Rawr wrote:
Playing double inverted was the most fun I've had while playing table tennis, but I had to switch back to lp in the end. I lost a lot of ranking points at first, then I was more or less finding my footing and working back up to my old level. But at the same time I started training at another club because of school related stuff and trying to make practice sessions line up with new work times. I got a new coach there, who is really good at training choppers and loves the defensive style. He insisted that I switch back to lp, plus I had to perform at a good level in the league season. It was taking too long to get back to my original level before the switch I think. I still want to play that style, but I feel like you have to do that from the start if you want to be effective with it. I will probably end up trying it again in the future.

Some other good news, thanks to the new coach I have. I feel like I am really playing like a chopper now. My matches against good loopers are better and I get to train with really good players. I am able to chop on both sides and get into good rallies. I think my play is much nicer to look at now. My forehand is actually a dangerous weapon and my opponents can no longer just push without thinking, I have a good record in our league and I might get to move up to division three next year. My ranking points are not back to where they were, but I'm rising quite fast right now, although I don't really think about that a lot. The results in the league is the most important part to me.

I have been considering playing with sp instead of lp, as a sort of compromise between inverted and lp. I talked about it with my coach a little bit, but I haven't decided on anything. I won't switch until the league season is over at least, but if I'm moving up a division next season, then maybe trying to switch around again is not the right thing to do. We'll see I guess.

Well, there was that time where you used SSPC2 (which I am using); I know you said that it helped you to really think about spin more, but otherwise, how was it? I'm pretty curious to know what you think about it. I'm using it, and for slow loops, it is very enjoyable and easy to chop with it. Very low loops are very hard to chop though, and sidespin loops that kick when they bounce are also hard to deal with for me. I also found that with SSPC2, it's true what they say about how chopping back power-loops is nearly impossible. Luckily, my chops seem to have enough backspin to avoid that when I get a good one in.
EDIT: Just about everything else is pretty easy to chop back though, but I haven’t played for a month since December until yesterday so and I did get a bit worse at chopping :(

Rating: Recreational Player

Last edited by Danthespearton HQ on 04 Jan 2018, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 22:23 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

You could try a mp like TSP Millitall. Normal mp’s are not good for chopping, they are more for blocking, but this one is rather good. It gan genrerate quite a lot of spin but is still very safe and controlled. But my advice is to stay with a grippy LP and keep practicing, and get to know your equipment really well. When you have stayed with the same setup 6 months you start winning matches just because you feel safe. I had this feeling when we met, I had used almost the same setup for 6 or 7 months and it worked very well with the old plastic ball (what happend after that is another story).

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 22:58 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Def-attack wrote:
You could try a mp like TSP Millitall. Normal mp’s are not good for chopping, they are more for blocking, but this one is rather good. It gan genrerate quite a lot of spin but is still very safe and controlled. But my advice is to stay with a grippy LP and keep practicing, and get to know your equipment really well. When you have stayed with the same setup 6 months you start winning matches just because you feel safe. I had this feeling when we met, I had used almost the same setup for 6 or 7 months and it worked very well with the old plastic ball (what happend after that is another story).

I agree that most MPs are not good for chopping, but I was surprised when I lost to a good underrated junior chopper using 563 in 1.0mm on a JSH blade. He had lots of spin, control, and variation. Goes to show anyone can use anything if they get used to it.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions