OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 14:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 00:01 

Which rubber in your opinion guys is better for generate strong backspin in mid distance ?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 00:05 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
SuperSpinPips is grippier and it's structure also helps to impart more spin (it's conical), so the latter can create more spin.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 20:56 
Super User

However, they’re both good SP’s to chop with; either one would be good.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 04:27 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Apparently spectol 1.8 chops much better than 1.5 or thinner. I have used the latter recently and for a short pip it does chop ok away from the table as not too fast.
Spinlord degu 2 is another non boosted short pip that is designed for more defensive play in particular chopping.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 05:14 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Spinpips has zero 'deceptiveness' or sinking ability, from what I have seen. There is no weirdness to it at all, just a slightly less spinny inverted style rubber.

Spectol (both in 1.4-1.7mm) has great sinking effect. I was greatly surprised by this as well, seeing the strange ball path and slight wobble. Opponents noticed it right away as well, and their timing suffered as a result.

For spin generation, spinpips is the clear winning. But the double edge sword always applies there, more spin capability... more spin sensitivity. I personally prefer the spectol, since the spinpips is so inverted like I may as well just put back on a tackiness chop or reflectoid rubber.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 06:06 

Thanks guys for response. I will tell my friend that he should buy spectol with sponge 1.8 mm

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 10:21 
Super User

I honestly think that everything you guys have said is pretty subjective; 1.8 being "better" than 1.5? Someone else could say the complete opposite; technique can also be a factor in that say. I think that your friend would find out best what he wants by trying out Spectol/SSP in person.

Last edited by Danthespearton HQ on 30 Nov 2017, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 10:28 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
Spinpips has zero 'deceptiveness' or sinking ability, from what I have seen. There is no weirdness to it at all, just a slightly less spinny inverted style rubber.

Spectol (both in 1.4-1.7mm) has great sinking effect. I was greatly surprised by this as well, seeing the strange ball path and slight wobble. Opponents noticed it right away as well, and their timing suffered as a result.

For spin generation, spinpips is the clear winning. But the double edge sword always applies there, more spin capability... more spin sensitivity. I personally prefer the spectol, since the spinpips is so inverted like I may as well just put back on a tackiness chop or reflectoid rubber.

:lol: I'm pretty sure SP's aren't supposed to be "deceptive"
For one thing, the word "deception" could mean more than one thing. To some, it might mean spin reversal; to others, it could be wobbly effects. To me, it mostly means spin manipulation. When it comes to chopping, if you're looking for weirdness and spin reversal, SP's are the wrong place to look; they're mainly for being able to change up spin very well and being able to incorporate SP backhand attacks more often. You don't really see many professional LP defenders attack with there BH as much as, say, Yuto Muramatsu. As for sink effect (correct me if I'm wrong), don't you look for that in SP's that are used for offense? I'm pretty sure sink effect is the last thing a defender looks for in a chopping SP. And to be honest, even the slowest of SP's can generate a lot of pace when attacking.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 10:30 
Super User

For all we know, he might choose a Butterfly SP to chop with :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2017, 13:51 
Super User

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
I honestly think that everything you guys have said is pretty subjective; 1.8 being "better" than 1.5? Someone else could say the complete opposite; technique can also be a factor in that say. I think that your friend would find out best what he wants by trying out Spectol/SSP in person.

Well, of course all equipment is subjective. Though not everyone wants to buy 3-10 rubbers experimenting -- so getting the general consensus is the safest bet to start with.

And for weirdness in SP and wanting it or not, comes back to what the player is looking for. A lot of pro choppers use spectol, and a lot of attacking players used spectol. It has much different blocks compared to inverted, and as a result, less spin sensitivity when chopping.

But I think at the amateur level, choppers don't get into the same kind of rallies as the pros -- they can loop everything back. So over the table play might matter more to the amateur player, where the "weirdness" effects and whatnot will play a bigger role. Just something to consider. Whereas the spinpips 2 is like a mushy, slow, less spinny inverted rubber.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2017, 03:20 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
Danthespearton HQ wrote:

Well, of course all equipment is subjective. Though not everyone wants to buy 3-10 rubbers experimenting -- so getting the general consensus is the safest bet to start with.

And for weirdness in SP and wanting it or not, comes back to what the player is looking for. A lot of pro choppers use spectol, and a lot of attacking players used spectol. It has much different blocks compared to inverted, and as a result, less spin sensitivity when chopping.

But I think at the amateur level, choppers don't get into the same kind of rallies as the pros -- they can loop everything back. So over the table play might matter more to the amateur player, where the "weirdness" effects and whatnot will play a bigger role. Just something to consider. Whereas the spinpips 2 is like a mushy, slow, less spinny inverted rubber.

I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about SSPC1, not SSPC2. lol
For me personally, I use SSPC2 1.9mm and I find that it is still much less spin-sensitive compared to my old Butterfly premade. Receiving serves are so much easier imho.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2017, 06:47 
Super User

Yeah, I've used the spinpips in ox (removed from sponge), .3-.6 and all the way up to the 1.9 on different sponges.

The basic thing is if you want to add more spin, use the spinpips. If you want to ignore more spin, the spectol. Sponges and thicknesses will play a role, but that's your money to spend! :lol: Smart option is to just pick one and stay with it. Same class of rubber with a few differences here and there. Now, why is it I can give that advice but can't take it myself :headbang: :cash: :cash: