OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 10:08 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

The inability to adapt and change to the market and "what people want" within local, state, and national levels, particuarly here in australia.

Definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 10:12 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
The inability to adapt and change to the market and "what people want" within local, state, and national levels, particuarly here in australia.

Definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

I know that OP asked for a single sentence responses, but: would you mind to elaborate a bit? I'm just interested in the 'state of TT' in other places, no matter how far from where I live. New thread is fine too. :)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 10:23 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

pgpg wrote:
I know that OP asked for a single sentence responses, but: would you mind to elaborate a bit? I'm just interested in the 'state of TT' in other places, no matter how far from where I live. New thread is fine too. :)

Here in AUS, we're very behind UK and USA with things like SPiN and making Table tennis more popular for Millenials/Younger people. I and some of my friends who play have been huge advocates for marketing and potentially working clubs in a way to promote the true social aspect of the game and have only ever been met by stonewalling committees, saying that the current membership would not approve so they wouldn't be interested.

Makes me wish I had a few hundred k $ to invest of my own and just go out on a limb :-)

Above is just an example - I've been on committees myself to try to action change to promote the game and had minor success - the moment I left however, things went back to the way they were.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 10:51 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
pgpg wrote:

Here in AUS, we're very behind UK and USA with things like SPiN and making Table tennis more popular for Millenials/Younger people. I and some of my friends who play have been huge advocates for marketing and potentially working clubs in a way to promote the true social aspect of the game and have only ever been met by stonewalling committees, saying that the current membership would not approve so they wouldn't be interested.

Makes me wish I had a few hundred k $ to invest of my own and just go out on a limb :-)

Above is just an example - I've been on committees myself to try to action change to promote the game and had minor success - the moment I left however, things went back to the way they were.

Thanks - as a point of reference, there are only 7 Spin locations in the US, which probably is something, but not really a smashing success (heh, pun...). I think I've read somewhere that their original business model of 'charge high hourly rentals for bar patrons' did not really work that well, and they pivoted to more of a 'corporate outings' model, but whatever works, it's a business after all.

I would not hold it up as a really big success in making TT popular for Millennials, I think having TT table at company offices is much more influential, but perhaps I'm confusing chicken and egg here.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 11:32 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

pgpg wrote:
Thanks - as a point of reference, there are only 7 Spin locations in the US, which probably is something, but not really a smashing success (heh, pun...). I think I've read somewhere that their original business model of 'charge high hourly rentals for bar patrons' did not really work that well, and they pivoted to more of a 'corporate outings' model, but whatever works, it's a business after all.

I would not hold it up as a really big success in making TT popular for Millennials, I think having TT table at company offices is much more influential, but perhaps I'm confusing chicken and egg here.

Yep - The corporate space however is a part of the whole picture, chicken and egg is right ;) setting it up as a corporate based "bar" fun environment, it gives employment to former/semipro table tennis players plus brings new players, which is table tennis' biggest problem - attrition!

But we're hijacking now, I could ramble for days :rofl:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 13:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Don't get too popular or some people might make up fake stories about your table tennis joint and then some wacko with an assault rifle will shoot up the ceiling...

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/tech ... -site.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/busi ... ences.html

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 15:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

igorponger wrote:
People oftentimes refusing to play with cellulloid balls of mines. I do not like plastic.

I suppose they might say the same thing about you refusing to play with their plastic balls... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 20:46 

Blade: B-Fly Powerspin Hinoki
FH: DHS G666
BH: Qing Soft
People who don't seem to understand the concept of "knocking up" when you start playing with them and try to hit either an an outright winner or a really weird shot every single shot from the very first second of the knoockup. :@

Clubs that hold practices with a "multiball" situation where loads of different kinds of ball are in play around the hall and almost every rally you play starts with a different type of ball, including a mixture of old celluloid balls and new poly balls. How on earth are you suposed to learn anything when the ball spins/bounces/moves differently every point? :@

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 00:06 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I find old 1 star celluloid training balls don't play too differently from plastic balls.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 02:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The most saddening thing. The sport is getting too fast, and I'm getting too old, too lazy, and slackened.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 06:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

From a playing point of view:
Serves being such a dominate part of the game. On both sides. It can create a lopsided match in a big way. So many people resort to pips because of this. Beginners really struggle against this aspect of the game too and it makes it hard for them to get into it.

From a watching point of view:
Horrible viewing angles.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 01:41 

I would say it used to be playing against damm pips. But after I figured out how to play against them it doesn't bother me anymore. Now I would have to say it's the plastic ball. The only redeeming feature they have is that they last longer than celluloid. Other than that they suck...... :@

As a spectator of matches the worst thing is watching players run around chasing balls. Come on people. Ping Pong balls are cheap. Have at least 3 or 4 balls available during the match so there is very little interruption of play. Can you imagine Roger Federer running around chasing tennis balls after each point? The Chinese Super League does it and it is sooo much better to watch.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 03:29 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
wilkinru wrote:
From a playing point of view:
Serves being such a dominate part of the game. On both sides. It can create a lopsided match in a big way. So many people resort to pips because of this. Beginners really struggle against this aspect of the game too and it makes it hard for them to get into it.

From a watching point of view:
Horrible viewing angles.

On the flip side, I swapped to using anti on the backhand and man! It shuts down the serve game pretty hard. Especially for those players who try to do tricky serves, and really load up on the spin. It just works against them, and eliminates an element of their game that they usually rely on.

My like:

Blocking a powerful loop, having it bounce over the net super short and loaded with back spin, before rolling back into the net -- then watching the other player stare on in disgust, as they stand their primed to unleash another loop that isn't coming! :lol:

Dislike:

Not enough clubs and places to play at!

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 05:46 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

One really, really bad thing:
TT has changed too much since I started playing...well, by you know who. :(

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 14:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

shaolinTT wrote:
One really, really bad thing: