OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 00:17 
Super User

Where does Curl P1r fit in terms of generating its own spin (both against no spin and heavy spin balls)? For example, is it roughly in between Feint Long 2 and 3?

My major concern with this rubber (coming from short pip background and now using Feint Long 3 1.1mm) is that it wouldn't be able to generate enough of its own spin against no spin balls or give the ability to float and chop while chopping loops. I wasn't satisfied with the spin against no spin balls when I tried Feint Long 2 1.1mm(and Dtechs), so I'm wondering if this high status rubber would be much of the same. If I try it, it will be in 1.4-1.7mm.

I'm in the process of eliminating rubbers for both my backhand and forehand, so I don't want to leave stones unturned so to speak. I've been planning on getting it anyway, but if I'm convinced not to get it I might be able to save myself some time and money :).

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX

PostPosted: 14 May 2018, 11:42 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Just got a sheet of p1r in 1.0 to 1.3. Less spin than feint 3, feint soft, and less than p4. These were tested just on servers for me, seeing which one could do a ghost serve and how much spin was on the ball. When chopping it will vary, but as far as creating their own spin... I'd put p1r behind all the ones I've listed. It's still a grippy pip, though not as grippy.

It's also less grippy than donic spike p2. And probably less than joola octopus.

PostPosted: 14 May 2018, 18:59 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
Just got a sheet of p1r in 1.0 to 1.3. Less spin than feint 3, feint soft, and less than p4. These were tested just on servers for me, seeing which one could do a ghost serve and how much spin was on the ball. When chopping it will vary, but as far as creating their own spin... I'd put p1r behind all the ones I've listed. It's still a grippy pip, though not as grippy.

It's also less grippy than donic spike p2. And probably less than joola octopus.

I was curious simply because of the status of the rubber. I'd also heard it was spinny (especially in 1.4-1.7mm, which I'd be most interested in), so even if it had 50-70% of the spin potential of dead balls that FL3 has, it would have been worth a try. Reading between the lines, and what you've outright said, that doesn't seem to be the case though. It's probably safe to say it won't suit my active chopping style.

For me to use something like P1r, it would probably require a complete change of approach when it comes to everything basically on my backhand. I assume I'd have to lure my opponent in to looping multiple times in a row to my backhand till the build up of spin is insane, either forcing them to net it or give me a loose push to put away. I'd also have to find another way of stopping my opponent from blasting the first or second shot (because I wouldn't be able to put much backspin on a dead ball or the first few shots). Swipes and punch blocks might be the answer to that, but I haven't learned such strokes coming from a SP background. It would probably take a while to 'relearn the game' so to speak before I could use it effectively.

However, I don't see a valid reason for me to change my game to play with a rubber where I can't apply much or any of my own spin. This approach has worked well for me. What I need to determine next then is if FL3 and Curl P4 truly give me what I want next to SPs. So far with FL3 1.1mm, I think so, but Curl P4 1.5mm will tell me more, as it will be a tad closer to SPs (I assume because of the extra variation with the thicker sponge).

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX

PostPosted: 15 May 2018, 08:15 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I dont think the sponge beyond .5 or 1.0 makes a tremendous difference. I've got fl3 in .5 and 1.3, the spin generation is only slightly better with the thicker sponge. I think the increased thickness has more to do with control and dampening effects for hard shots. With the top sheet being identical, even the classical defenders only use 1.0 for their inverted side! If the spin was so much greater at 2.0 they'd probably move up to that. O dont think you'll see a massive difference, but who knows. I've got some long pops in 1.7 as well and those feel about the same also.

PostPosted: 15 May 2018, 09:40 
Super User

[quote="Snowman89"]Where does Curl P1r fit in terms of generating its own spin (both against no spin and heavy spin balls)? For example, is it roughly in between Feint Long 2 and 3?

I don't know where P1r fits in terms of generating its own spin (both against no spin and heavy spin balls)..and I can say that I am able to produce the highest backspin against loops with P1r...The ball it sends is difficult to read also...the most ''deceptive'' lp ...
Yes, with FL3 I can produce the most spin against no spin balls ...but I find these balls are easy to read after a while...but not with P1r...opponents make the most mistakes when they play against P1r..
and I recommend 1.0 and 1.5 mm. P1r for chopping.
All of these depend on you....depend on the way you play...for me best is P1r.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 11:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes I was thinking the same... there seems to be some confusion here about
(1) How much spin a long pimple can generate, and
(2) How much spin is returned when you chop a loop
These two are quite different...I would agree with the others above, that Curl p-1r is not the best for (1), but I think it's one of the best (if not THE best) for (2).

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 12:44 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
I posted a lengthy p1r vs p4 (fl3) comparison a couple months back. WHen comparing rubbers my method of measuring spin is based on: 1) my coach/training partner feedback, i.e this was heavy and this was not 2) spin on the ball when I chop into the net. the ball rushes toward me and you can kind of see how much spin was on the ball.

For me I find that P4 0.5 produces more spin than P1r 0.5, everything else being equal. I also really like that with P4 the spin on chops builds up fast, and can reach serious backspin on the 2nd chop.

If you go thicker than 0.5, P1r produces comparable or (some people would argue) even greater spin on chop but imho at the expense of control. Once you reach a certain level the spin will be high no matter which LP you end up with. It's all about which LP you can control and which one allows you to land more balls back on the table (in match and training situations).

For me and for my level P4 on a thin sponge > P1r on a thin sponge and I can't control P1r on a thick sponge thus I am playing with a P4 0.5