OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 13:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I was in a match on Monday and had my opponent fishing at me and I was smashing his fishes. I love getting this guy into that position because I usually win...because he also has this attacking game that when he's rolling on, he usually wins. Anyway, I smashed on him and he mis-hit the ball from way back off the table and it rose up and looked like it wouldn't make it over the net. I came down the side of the table and to my surprise it landed on my side, but no worries I was there to cover it ;) Even more surprised it spun back to his side...but I still had it covered to smash as I was now past the net and on his side of the table. With bat raised and ready to smash I suddenly realised the spin wasn't just backspin but had some side-spin and was spinning away from me. He was back off the table about 6 feet, so I changed my mind as I wouldn't have reached the ball for a smash as I had to lean in farther than expected and just dropped it on the table. He could see this happening and ran in and with me caught out of place he just tapped it back over to win the point. I pondered later on what I could have done differently and decided if I'd turned my wrist and hit it sideways with the pips (across the table) he'd never have reached it...but of course this would have taken a much sharper presence of mind than what I eventually changed to. But I wonder if anyone else experienced such a thing. Oh, I did win the match at least lol

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 16:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think that's always the danger of a drop shot... yes we all make decisions in a split second... you just have to get most of them right. ;)

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 17:27 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Have seen so many drop shots gotten wrong...it usually comes down to spin misjudgment. I also find a change of mind in a shot so often brings about a mistake too (for most people, not just me). Try combining both things together and its frought with danger :headbang:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 20:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I also find a change of mind in a shot so often brings about a mistake too (for most people, not just me).

Simple, just don't change your mind. 8) :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 21:53 

Blade: Yasaka Extra Offensive
FH: Rakza Xs
BH: Mark V
I wish my foot work was good enough I could get to the net at the side of table to even attempt such a shot. :clap:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 23:18 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

sderyke2002 wrote:
I wish my foot work was good enough I could get to the net at the side of table to even attempt such a shot. :clap:

Thanks...I wish mine was all the time too :lol: The opponent needs to give me enough time to get around there LOL (which happens rarely). ;(

Here's a question for anyone with a current rulebook...if you hit the ball after it has spun back past the net onto the opponents side is it a legal shot, or must the ball be struck on your side of the net?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 23:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

haggisv wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I also find a change of mind in a shot so often brings about a mistake too (for most people, not just me).

Simple, just don't change your mind. 8) :lol:

Now you tell me...I'll try that in future...or maybe I won't...decisiveness is such a hard, umm I mean difficult, no I mean hard... skill to master. |-) :headbang: :?: |(

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 00:51 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Here's a question for anyone with a current rulebook...if you hit the ball after it has spun back past the net onto the opponents side is it a legal shot, or must the ball be struck on your side of the net?

yes, it's a legal shot - nothing in the rulebook prevents this

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 07:23 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Quote:

PRW wrote:
Quote:
yes, it's a legal shot - nothing in the rulebook prevents this

As long as you don't impede your opponent while on their side of the table.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 23:33 

Blade: Yasaka Extra Offensive
FH: Rakza Xs
BH: Mark V
There are a couple of players at our club who have a ghost serve which does just that goes over the net and then (when they hit it perfectly) bounces once and then goes back over the net to their side. Some people try (not me) and few succeed getting to the net on the correct side of the table to reach the ball and then hit it before it drops. Some of the taller people don't have to do anything but reach.

This is clearly a case of short-ism (prejudice and lack of accommodation for short people). I know, I am short. Does anyone know what can be done to right this injustice?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 01:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

sderyke2002 wrote:
There are a couple of players at our club who have a ghost serve which does just that goes over the net and then (when they hit it perfectly) bounces once and then goes back over the net to their side. Some people try (not me) and few succeed getting to the net on the correct side of the table to reach the ball and then hit it before it drops. Some of the taller people don't have to do anything but reach.

This is clearly a case of short-ism (prejudice and lack of accommodation for short people). I know, I am short. Does anyone know what can be done to right this injustice?

I can do that serve too sderyke2002, but it is very unreliable and inconsistent...so I never actually use it. Too easy to give points away by not making a good serve or making it too easy to attack (most people can reach it). I make my daughter laugh when we have a hit by doing the serve and she can't reach it, but she knows I'll mess it up and give her points too. If someone is good enough to do the serve low enough and consistently enough to make it worthwhile, they'll also be good enough to do it to either side of the table in an instant. So running down the table side to return it will just let them change direction to the opposite side and leave you stranded...so against them there is no answer. But I think for most, they will give you as many foul serves as "evil" successful ones.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 02:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

DAMNED TACTICS...

This "blacky" kid was told by his adviser-coach to play lobbing as oftentimes as possible.
So mean, damned tactics, indeed.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 16:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

sderyke2002 wrote:

Elevator shoes? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 09:44 

igorponger wrote:
DAMNED TACTICS...

This "blacky" kid was told by his adviser-coach to play lobbing as oftentimes as possible.
So mean, damned tactics, indeed.

At least he tossed the ball up on his serve :D