OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 12:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Hi guys. I took a break from playing after early July and the US Open tourney. This might be more of a blog post but this is also the thread I usually talk in and I have some input about the current topic.

Hey Russ, sorry to hear about the injury. If you are going to get injured though, it's always best to do it when going around the net. Thanks for the update/blog post and I look forward to seeing your progress from here.

I think it's great that you recognize that your colleagues are all trying to progress as well. Some players just expect that they'll start beating the people around them without considering the time and effort everyone puts in. Being match tough matters a lot and it's difficult to beat someone who has been competing on a regular basis.

Your injury clearly isn't an RSI however repetitive injuries are the most common in TT, so I'll talk a little about it.

I go to the gym every 2-3 days because I don't want to get injured, even though I'm only coaching these days. It takes me about 45 minutes to complete a few exercises and I'm done. The irony is that I never consistently went to the gym when I played and I was constantly injured.

If you want to read about the importance of strength, I recommend this book. https://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strengt ... B006XJR5ZA . Starting Strength is enlightening and, imo, is one of the most important books ever written. The knowledge may help you to stay out of a nursing home in your old age, so it's worth a read for that alone.

The exercise I do include:
- Squats
- Bench Presses (or Push ups)
- Bent Over Rows
- Lat Pull Downs
- Bicep Curls

I should do more. I'm sure Dead Lifts are very relevant as well as Lunges etc. Anything that looks like a forehand topspin in reverse is important, hence the Lat and Row stuff.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 14:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
What is the technically correct way to serve down the line? I occasionally realized that my diagonal pendulum serve can stay low rather easily, but the parallel one bounces too high, especially when going for extra spin.

Can I see what you are doing?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 12:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Here is what my serving game currently consists of:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 22:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have started a new series call "Playing Table Tennis Points" or PTTP. PTTP01 is already available on ttEDGE.com

In the series, I will analyze real table tennis points and look them from both a technical and tactical standpoint. Members have been asking for tactical content for some time, so this is my compromise. PTTP01 is an example of how each video will look. There will only be one or two points per video and the analysis will often refer you to videos in the LTT or ETTS series.

If you have some of your own match footage, and you are comfortable with me making videos of you, feel free to get it to me and I'll include some points.

I'm also working on content for LTT and ETTS. There are quite a few videos in the pipeline, so we are looking at a solid few months of ttEDGE content.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 23:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Here is what my serving game currently consists of:

I like what you are doing on the Pendulum. I can see that you've grasped the concept of body rotation.

The only obvious thing I can see is the ball is too far away from your chest and you chase the ball a little. The further away from your chest the ball is, the harder it is to serve down the line with control. This should make sense to you, if you think about it.

You have the same issue on the Reverse serve. It's too far away. The problem is amplified on the Reverse because now you have to lean towards the ball and you can't reverse rotate the torso when you are so busy leaning after the ball.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 00:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes, I also see that the ball is to far away. Gotta change my toss.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 00:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It seems that some posts were lost during the forum's downtime. Lately I was experimenting with different contacts in my loop strokes, as in A04. Do you agree that with the plastic ball it is better to loop thicker on average? I am not talking about a totally flat smash, just a loop against a standard block. And how to find the right balance with the contact in general?

When I was in Russia, a guy encouraged me to brush more/thinner. I tried to do so and liked the feeling at first. But it appears like it messed me up: brushing too thin against topspin requires way too much finesse and barely improves the quality. At the same time, after the first opening shot the return does jump high enough to be hit downwards in 90% of the cases.

I will try to make a vid where I loop with different contacts. Below is a two months-old video where I hit very thick (at least I think so). Is it too flat?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 01:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
It seems that some posts were lost during the forum's downtime. Lately I was experimenting with different contacts in my loop strokes, as in A04. Do you agree that with the plastic ball it is better to loop thicker on average? I am not talking about a totally flat smash, just a loop against a standard block. And how to find the right balance with the contact in general?

When I was in Russia, a guy encouraged me to brush more/thinner. I tried to do so and liked the feeling at first. But it appears like it messed me up: brushing too thin against topspin requires way too much finesse and barely improves the quality. At the same time, after the first opening shot the return does jump high enough to be hit downwards in 90% of the cases.

I will try to make a vid where I loop with different contacts. Below is a two months-old video where I hit very thick (at least I think so). Is it too flat?

OOAK only lost one day of posts, which is a pretty fair outcome for a disaster recovery scenario.

A04 is a good video. William was a master of thin contacts.

I'd say you are on the boundary of striking the ball too thick in your video. A good way to think about it is imagine the outcome you are looking for and then trying to make that happen somehow. You want a fairly high loop or arc on the ball's trajectory. Imagine the flight path you want and then make it happen. You'll achieve the correct thickness by aiming for the right arc. I think you didn't have a high enough loop on the ball.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2018, 11:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT101 is now available on ttEDGE.com It's a look at whether or not you should twist on the backhand. As I go around to different clubs, I see coaches teaching players to twist. The video is my view on the topic.

I have been working on lots of stuff I like. There are already 5 scripted parts of PTTP. Again, if anyone wants to send me some matches, I will include them. I want PTTP to be another 100 part series if possible.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2018, 15:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

This is why you should use the Table Tennis Edge App https://soundcloud.com/youarenotsosmart ... ebroadcast

Download links:
https://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/table-t ... mpt=uo%3D4
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... edge.test4

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2018, 11:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Speaking about contacts, are there any situations where hitting too thin is harmful, apart from hitting against a very high ball? Like if I loop against a block, should I still try to hit it thin?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2018, 11:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Speaking about contacts, are there any situations where hitting too thin is harmful, apart from hitting against a very high ball? Like if I loop against a block, should I still try to hit it thin?

You should play with a good balance.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 02:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I had a revelation recently. A year ago or so, I used to play slow spinny forehand topspin on the 3rd ball against push most of the time simply because I was too slow to get to the ball at the top of the bounce. But then my anticipation improved and I started to move faster, so I started to hit the ball earlier and straighter. And some people are really good at blocking those back. They just casually get their racket (I don't know how) into the ball's way and gets back in an awkward position. I got so sick of it, so recently I forced myself to spin up the falling ball even though I was in position to hit it straight, and then lo and behold, my opponent missed 80% of the blocks. I know that LTT46 is all about this, but it was so funny to realize that improving my skills messed up my tactics.

I just saw a match posted on TTD, the Dan's opponent played a few of those heavy shots in it, one at 1:52, second at 4:42. I guess this is how I should play most of my openings.

Last edited by Dr.Pivot on 03 Oct 2018, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 05:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Shouldn't you still take the ball early, since you are ready, and spin it forward instead of up? That would make a lower ball, and possibly give it the elusive 'kick' that really good players get.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 05:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Shouldn't you still take the ball early, since you are ready, and spin it forward instead of up? That would make a lower ball, and possibly give it the elusive 'kick' that really good players get.

I know the kick you are talking about: even when those guys hit pretty fast loops, the balls still shoot off the opponent's bats upwards. I experienced it myself when had a chance to play some good players, like 2300 or so.

The problem is that my "fast" loop has no kick, and I conclude this from the fact that my straight loops are too easy to block even by 1300-1600 crowd. It is actually one of the reasons why I am trying to tweak the contact of my forehand. Maybe it is H3 that messes things up and I am using it wrong. Gotta make a video where I hit both slow & spinny and fast loops against push, maybe you will see something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226 ... 568  Next