OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 22:09 
Super User

After about 8 years of using OX....I recently switched from OX to sponge. I've found it actually HELPS "passive" blocking. Nothing "reverses" like it used to but the balls seem to be just as disruptive....only faster. (or because of the speed)
After the ball change the spin continuation was minimized and my OX play wasn't as effective. After switching to sponge I keep more balls on the table.

But everyone's mileage may (will) vary.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2018, 06:39 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
treetop wrote:
After about 8 years of using OX....I recently switched from OX to sponge. I've found it actually HELPS "passive" blocking. Nothing "reverses" like it used to but the balls seem to be just as disruptive....only faster. (or because of the speed)
After the ball change the spin continuation was minimized and my OX play wasn't as effective. After switching to sponge I keep more balls on the table.

But everyone's mileage may (will) vary.

I noticed the same thing when new balls came and since than I have been using sponged pips (never before). Blocking goes well with Dtecs 0.5 as the balls don't pop up. Sponge gives also active options with vertical or horizontal blade face.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2018, 21:24 
Super User

I'm planning on using another LP rubber (Currently its Pogo Ox) with my XVT Balsa Hinoki Carbon... Pogo suited me well, initially, but now, I want to try something different...

One of the aspects of my of LP game, that I've come to realise is that I passive block quite a bit, and although, when passive blocking, I manage to get the ball back on the table, they're high enough, and lacking spin, for decent players to easily put away/kill.. ..

I'm looking for a rubber for passive-blocking, and more than decent reversal....

I'd like to know, If I should get one in OX or with a thin sponge (.5mm - .6mm)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2018, 23:03 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
I use OX on a XVT Balsa Carbon, do a lot of passive blocking intermixed with active blocking, don't have an trouble keeping the ball low. Get on a robot, practice until you have the technique down.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2018, 04:01 
Super User

LOOPOVER wrote:
I use OX on a XVT Balsa Carbon, do a lot of passive blocking intermixed with active blocking, don't have an trouble keeping the ball low. Get on a robot, practice until you have the technique down.

You misunderstand ... I'm not blaming the XVT ... I'm pretty certain it's mostly me, and not just the setup..

I'm just trying to provide some insight to play-style, so that you guys can provide me with recommendations.. .

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2018, 06:33 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
IME passive blocking is best with soft, slow spin insensitive pimples. Try Yinhe Qing Soft 0.5. It’s cheap! But remember any sponge will reduce reversal.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2018, 08:32 
Super User

ootbs wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:

You misunderstand ... I'm not blaming the XVT ... I'm pretty certain it's mostly me, and not just the setup..

I'm just trying to provide some insight to play-style, so that you guys can provide me with recommendations.. .

My recommendation is to get on a robot, practice until you can keep the ball low when passive blocking, using your current rubber.

New rubber OX ideas: Dawei 388d-1 , Palio CK531A , Giant Dragon Talon but hard to control.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 16:59 
Super User

I'm considering the Palio CK531A, as one of the options..

Infact, to be a bit more specific .. I think I'd like a setup that has a decent combination of reversal,shock-absorb, and that "braking-effect" ...

I hear D.tecs, is the rubber for the above, and I will certainly buy it, in the future... But, for now, spending almost $40, is beyond my reach... On the other hand, at around $25, Talon is cheaper, but not easily available to me...

Any other alternatives ? Also, OX or sponge ?

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 23:33 
Super User

I read that Palio CK531A is $4 in OX at Eacheng.net

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 14:58 
Super User

I visited the Palio Official store on AliExpress.... I noticed that there were 2 listings for the CK531A : One in a Yellow packaging, and the other in a Blue/white packaging.... What's the difference, and which one should I opt for...

Also, irrespective of the rubber I get, what's recommended ? OX or thin sponge ?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 15:03 
Super User

LOOPOVER wrote:

Saw.. Never ordered from Eacheng... I know they have multiple stores, under different names, on AliExpress...

What's your take on Globe 979 ?

Also, I'm thinking of getting another XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon (HBC), but for double inverted... Have you tried the HBC with Double-Inverted ?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 15:54 
Super User

ootbs wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:

Saw.. Never ordered from Eacheng... I know they have multiple stores, under different names, on AliExpress...

What's your take on Globe 979 ?

Also, I'm thinking of getting another XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon (HBC), but for double inverted... Have you tried the HBC with Double-Inverted ?

I bought 2 sheets of CK531A OX from them, haven't tried it yet, bounce feels good on my XVT.

Globe 979 OX is a good solid defensive rubber that gets better with age.

Haven't tried my XVT with double inverted yet, been curious about that too.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2018, 17:30 
Super User

LOOPOVER wrote:

Globe 979 OX is a good solid defensive rubber that gets better with age.

Oh... I got the impression that it's a decent Blocking rubber, rather than a Defensive rubber ?

LOOPOVER wrote:
Haven't tried my XVT with double inverted yet, been curious about that too.

What makes me want to try double-inverted is how my current XVT+Focus 3 Snipe plays, on both FH, and on the BH (When I twiddle) ... It's seems to offer a decent amount of control on blocks. Has a dampening effect too.. What stands-out is flat hitting, on both FH & BH - For me, it has that Can't Miss factor... Looping, requires a stroke adjustment, though...

The variant of the Focus 3 Snipe, I have, on the XVT, is the 40° sponge.... So this, coupled with a stiff'ish blade, makes for a loud cracking sort of sound, when hitting - which I quite like. :D

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2018, 18:49 
Super User

Regarding: Globe 979 OX

ootbs said
Oh... I got the impression that it's a decent Blocking rubber, rather than a Defensive rubber

It is very strong at chop blocking. I beat guys using Dtecs, other long pips, anti. I don't hit with it.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 04:46 

I just put a sheet of Spinlord BS ox on an Andro Defcon. There’s a feeling that you can’t miss on blocks. Everything goes back short and low. I’m liking it a lot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next