OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 00:02 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
That is Park Hyun Mi... she has a club in central northeast Seoul... very good club. Great place to visit if you are in the area.

She has a number of lp vids out there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 00:05 

pgpg wrote:
Der_Echte wrote:
See you in under 2 weeks, if Jay Lee doesn't have hiz water, I'll bring some. Bring the cell phone camera and your bats.

Cool, I'll clear my Saturday night (November 3rd) schedule then for an extended TT session.

P.S. What do you need my bats for? :)
Ur bats might come in handy to batter opponents. :)

It sounds random and cooler if you ask a friend to bring two unrelated things.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 00:52 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Der_Echte wrote:
That is Park Hyun Mi... she has a club in central northeast Seoul... very good club. Great place to visit if you are in the area.

She has a number of lp vids out there.

Yes, that's her - started a combined thread for her here:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=33529

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2018, 13:02 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

From the department of "things that are obvious in retrospect": if while waiting to receive serve you actually shift a bit to BH corner (for the righty opponent) and adopt a more FH-oriented stance by rotating 20-30 degrees clockwise, then a) it becomes easier to attack long serves, b) stepping in for short receive on FH is more natural somehow, and c) it feels like there are fewer surprises with long serves to BH as well, since you are more or less there already.

As a side benefit, 'chicken wing' receive with LP is now becoming awkward and thus less likely to happen, or at least instincts make it easier to go for FH attack instead.

Wonder if it is just a fluke or there is indeed some truth to this.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 05:19 

Looks like I will be at the club Saterday afternoon around 1pm or 2... then leave but 4:30 dinner appointment with daughter... but who says I can't make it to the club after dinner for round two?

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 05:31 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Der_Echte wrote:
Looks like I will be at the club Saterday afternoon around 1pm or 2... then leave but 4:30 dinner appointment with daughter... but who says I can't make it to the club after dinner for round two?

That's a very early dinner, are you aiming for AARP special? :rofl:

So, what are the chances of you making it there in the evening as well? I suspect I can't be there for both afternoon and evening 'missions' - but there should be plenty of Korean troublemakers in the afternoon, Jay Lee included. I'm tempted to show up in the evening.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 05:35 

ETA at club 5pm local tonite.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 09:39 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Der_Echte made an appearance at Boston TTC club tonight and we played a couple of matches and then just practiced points for another 30 min or so.

As usual, it took me a while to get used to his serves and re-learn the simple rule of 'avoid his BH as much as possible'.
Much to my surprise I scratched out a 3:1 win in the first match, mostly by luck - all of his nets went out and 95% of mine went/dribbled in, which disturbed him a bit :devil:. He also had some trouble with LP hits/bumps to his FH, perhaps due to different timing. Second match was much easier 3:0 win for him.

Both of us were using our spare setups, I think - I was messing around with Defplay/Dtecs OX/Palio AK47 Blue again, that thing has the best control on BH for me somehow.

Attachment:
DerEchte_1103sm.jpg
DerEchte_1103sm.jpg [ 825.92 KiB | Viewed 2333 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 16:03 

Yup it went down like he said, I had game points and couldn't cash them in. I couldn't get used to the timing to counter his pips BH. Wasn't such an issue in second match. I ended up playing almost 7 hours Everyone wanted a hit Russian chopper Leo was sad he only had two cracks at me. Jay Lee's daughter has some serious 2 wing game.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 09:52 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Der_Echte wrote:
Yup it went down like he said, I had game points and couldn't cash them in. I couldn't get used to the timing to counter his pips BH. Wasn't such an issue in second match. I ended up playing almost 7 hours Everyone wanted a hit Russian chopper Leo was sad he only had two cracks at me. Jay Lee's daughter has some serious 2 wing game.

Glad you had good time. Don't think I've met Jay's daughter...

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 02:00 

She showed up when Jay came back. She is a better player than me. I got a match at deuce in 5th and she got me 3-1 in tight games. I played well vs ay, being patient and attacking the right chances. Jay's daughter cut her father's hair at the club after we all got done with my 2 matches vs Leo. I say, Leo REALLY wanted to play some more.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 12:56 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

One more 'obvious' thing I wish someone pointed out earlier (unless its an illusion): when chopping, and probably doing other LP shots, it helps to have thumb on the rubber, which I guess means modifying grip to be more BH-oriented. I kind of saw it in videos by Jian Li etc., but never actually did it in practice or match play.

Tried it a few times and it appears to help with shot consistency. One more bad habit to get rid of, if true...

Trying to decide whether to stay with Barricade combo or move to something faster. So far Barricade is leading, but barely, with Defplay mounting a strong comeback.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 01:28 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
pgpg wrote:
One more 'obvious' thing I wish someone pointed out earlier (unless its an illusion): when chopping, and probably doing other LP shots, it helps to have thumb on the rubber, which I guess means modifying grip to be more BH-oriented. I kind of saw it in videos by Jian Li etc., but never actually did it in practice or match play.

Tried it a few times and it appears to help with shot consistency. One more bad habit to get rid of, if true...
comeback.

Grip is a touchy subject for me. I pay very close attention to grips in general, both my grip and my son's grip who's a lefty attacker and has a lot of trouble switching FH-BH-FH-BH efficiently. I had a lot of discussions with our local coaches on this subject. The grip also very much derives from one's style. One of our coaches (former 2800+) has a very loose European grip vs another coach (also former 2800) prefers a more traditional CNT grip. There is no right or wrong.

When it comes to choppers - it's pretty much the same thing. Look at Ruwen Filush - his thumb often (always?) rests on the rubber when he BH chops. You can see it in his videos. We have a chopper girl at our club who puts her thumb parallel to the handle. Coaches don't say a thing. :o

Personally I favor JSH's and Ma Te's classic grip in which your thumb rests on the handle and touches the rubber just a tiny bit. IMHO this allows you to have more flexibility in your wrist and add slight sidespin to your chops when you're reaching for a deep ball. I think my coach does the same, at least, I have never seen him extend his thumb when chopping.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2018, 06:29 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

I guess the bottom line as far as grips are concerned then: it's worth to try slight modifications and see if it helps :)

Played a non-sanctioned local tournament today: team format, so a good 'warm up' for JOOLA Teams. Things looked 'dim' (pardon the pun) early on, with the light being rather low and severe glare. 30 min into warm up (before matches started) someone flipped the switch somewhere and light got MUCH better - entire gym (18 tables) almost broke into applause.

First time I played a tourney where corrugated cardboard was used for barriers - was worried for a bit that they would keep falling down, as they did during setup, but it was not an issue. Since they are setup in a wave pattern so that they can stand on their own, they catch the ball really well!

Our team ended up in the Open division somehow, which was quite a reach, but not a big deal. Format was SSDSS, again first time for me. I thought I played OK, given the level of opposition, with matches being close, and we even won one doubles game :).

Going to JOOLA with Defplay/AK47/Dtecs combo, feels very good right now (LP blocks are better than chops, though).

Edit: forgot to mention - tournament actually had 4-5 sponsors lined up (hospitals, bank, insurance agency(?)...) , with their names on the giant banner and on T-shirts, so it's possible to find sponsors for TT even in US. Mayor of the city also made an appearance before the start and said a few words. Tournament was run by a local Chinese Culture organization, so I guess it was smart for the mayor to be there and connect with constituents :up: . Also - tournament had a lunch break, the first for me! Not a bad deal after all: 25$ per person in a 4-player team gets you a T-shirt, lunch, and a some TT matches :party: Almost as good as some Korean tournaments Der_Echte describes.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 05:50 

Good stuff pgpg.

Carboard is much higher than normal barriers, stops the ball better. You have to be careful to make a foot or so vertical in each direction to keep it up... it is a plus as ball hit the curve and mostly stay there, they don't rebound 2-3 tables down. So, overall, a tourney with these has fewer lets, not zero, but fewer.

Great story, FIGHT !!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 70  Next