OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Mima Ito!
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 06:10 

Loved watching her performance at the Sweden Open! Quite an accomplishment against the main force of the Chinese women's team.

So...I threw a sheet of Friendship 804-40 on my backhand (I chop with inverted anyway) and would like to learn that puch backhand she plays. I have no illusions of playing like her, I would just like to combine a short pips chop, and then come up to the table and punch then away in a similar manner as she does.

How do I get started learning this stroke? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Mima Ito!
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 15:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

1) Watch her videos.
2) Have someone feed you balls to your backhand.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 00:13 

I will do that! Thanks!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 00:45 
Super User

To Bobv:
I share your enthusiasm but I'm penhold and play different rubbers.
The first time I studied videos (in slow-mo and even frame-by-frame) as iskandar taib suggests, it was with a different player and style, but coincidentally the biggest thing I learned and still remember was the surprising flatness of so many strokes (I mean the flatness of the swing), like Mima Ito: with the angle of the blade already set right, a flatter swing keeps the blade in the flight path of the ball for a longer time prior to contact (instead of passing through that flight path so quickly and spending so much less time in front of the ball). Just a thought. There's a time for brushing too.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 08:02 

Thank you, and I will work to keep the flight path of the swing directly at and through the ball. In looking at her, it does appear as though she uses a bit of wrist in her punches. The paddle is still on the same plane as the ball, but she looks as though she applies a small flick with the wrist while extending her arm.

Also, I am assuming this shot comes straight off the middle of the bat? I do not want the ball to move up the front of the rubber and spin off the top (imparting backspin) as I push through the ball?

Thanks for any help and if you have other videos, that would be great.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 08:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Let me tell you a story. About three years ago I started playing again and started watching games on YouTube. I thought I'd give Fukuhara Ai's style a try. So I stuck on a sheet of 563 and thought I'd stick with it for a while. I gave it up after a week. Not only did it ruin my backhand, because I had to stand so close to the table, it ruined my forehand as well! :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 09:50 
Super User

Maybe we can't tell before we try sometimes. He Zhiwen (single sided short pips) did not work for me because I could not come anywhere near duplicating that (and so I knew that it would remain a little ridiculous for me to try). Next, Gao Jun (also single sided short pips) was a good model for me because I could approximate it with some expectation of gradually improving. Wanting a rubber on the other side, I moved to Zhou Xintong (lp/sp) and Wang Qiuyi (lp/inv), and have stayed there for years now. (With Lay Jianfang, Ni Xialian, Li Jiao and Ma Lin always lurking in the back of my mind too.)

I joked in the other thread that I was going to show a Mima Ito video to someone here but would have to slow it down as otherwise it would be too scary. Funny, I did play it at half speed to give the person a look. Then when I turned it to full speed the person's mouth literally fell open. "Do they really play that fast?" "Yes". So, what I'm saying is, it might be discouraging to try to duplicate that directly. A lot of other people you could study play in that style at a much lower level; or, Mima Ito could be your Platonic Ideal, a Form which you approach asymptotically (i.e. never getting there). But no need to get discouraged if you can "approximate it with a reasonable expectation of gradual improvement".

Yes, she has a wrist of steel. I don't doubt that at all. Yeah, the other wrist is probably steel too. And the ankles. :-) Unimaginable amount of hard work behind the elegant performance that we see. Good luck!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 00:20 

Thank you for your response, and I will work on it. I have used short pips before, but mostly for chopping away from the table, so I though this might give me a bit of versatility on the backhand when I get the chance to come into the table and put away a higher shot. I chop and loop on the forehand, although I love her flat forehand shot as well. My son has a nice forehand loop but can flat hit the ball when needed and a local coach told him to work on the loop but never lose that shot. BTW, he took some lessons from Gao Jun when he was younger. She is such a nice person and we enjoyed our time with her!

Thanks again!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 02:00 
Super User

Hey, if you stick with Mima Ito you could let this thread be like a blog about it, just as I unashamedly took over one of the Zhou Xintong threads.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 03:45 

Yes, I will try to get back here about my journey of putting this all together. I have been watching a lot of videos about her attacking style, but Im also combing this with defense too!

What fun though!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 21:58 

Moin,

I was totally astonished by Ito´s performance in Sweden.
I try to play fast attack style with short pips on fh (Waran 2.0) and medium pips on bh (563-1, 1.8mm).
Maybe you want to take a look on Miao Miao Videos on youtube who has a very offensive style as well.

Does anybody know what sponge thickness Ito uses on bh?

Greetings Claus

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2019, 04:29 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
A collection of Mima Ito's serve receives and BH shots:

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 06:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Mima Ito’s No touch: https://youtu.be/fC8cb4q6T3o

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 16:07 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Damn it! Every time I watch vidz of her I want to start try to play like her. That style is soo cool. Not to say difficult...

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 03:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

No touch. No touch???? Huh?? Aa.. so ka na... :lol:

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!