OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 00:27 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
pgpg wrote:
I manufactured at least 7 (!) non-returnable net dribbles. Must be my personal record.

The guy on the other side of that must've been considering flipping the table at the end :headbang:

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 00:31 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
kaesees wrote:
pgpg wrote:
I manufactured at least 7 (!) non-returnable net dribbles. Must be my personal record.

The guy on the other side of that must've been considering flipping the table at the end :headbang:

He was a pretty good sport about it - both of us were laughing in the end.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2019, 23:02 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Played a 2-day tournament over the weekend and pretty happy with the way it turned out :rock: .

On Saturday went 7:2 in U2000 and U2000 O40, losing in QF both times, to the #1 seed and eventual winner in the former and my club mate in the latter (in 5 games...). Was undefeated in RR, but interestingly enough lost at least one game in every match, or at least it felt that way. I guess focus was off somewhat.

For the first time I think I 'chopped down' someone at my level in a tournament: what I mean is that I did not really stay close to the table, but instead was trying to induce loop-chop rallies and won because of that. It's a rarity these days for me (chopping), but it was nice to know it was there when I needed it.

On Sunday I had 10-1 record: won U1900 and lost in the semis of U2050 (to the same club mate in 5 again...). Managed to win a few tight games and thought I did the right in-game adjustments more often than not, mostly switching to shorter or slower game to mess up attack-happy opponents, especially younger ones. Once or twice it was literally "hey, she plays just like L. from my club, I should do the same tactics here".

Edit: portion of the U2050 match on Sunday (I'm rocking OOAK shirt here, by the way):
Edit 2: I actually watched it and noticed something strange - in the final game we do change sides at 5-1 or so mid-game, but I thought that's the 4th game, at least according to official result! I guess we forgot to write down results correctly on the match sheet and it was in fact 5-game match... Oops.

Last edited by pgpg on 27 Feb 2019, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019, 12:14 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
Congrats on winning U1900! A few folks from my home club were at the same tournament - looking at the results page, one won the U2200, and two others made it to the SF in the U2200 and U2350 respectively.

I didn't realize there were OOAK forum shirts available. I wonder how much shipping to the states costs...

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 01:51 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
pgpg wrote:
Played a 2-day tournament over the weekend and pretty happy with the way it turned out :rock: .

Wow, looks like it's been a great tournament for you!
Congrats on winning and career-high rating! ;)

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 01:58 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

ziv wrote:
pgpg wrote:

Wow, looks like it's been a great tournament for you!
Congrats on winning and career-high rating! ;)

Thanks! Did not expect to gain that many points, looks like several folks I beat got adjusted up as well. Winning always feels nice. :party:

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 02:19 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

kaesees wrote:
Congrats on winning U1900! A few folks from my home club were at the same tournament - looking at the results page, one won the U2200, and two others made it to the SF in the U2200 and U2350 respectively.

I didn't realize there were OOAK forum shirts available. I wonder how much shipping to the states costs...

Shirt is/was on clearance sale for 10$, and shipping is obviously not free, but all-in price was still quite decent:

https://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.ph ... cts_id=668

As a heads up, sizes run a bit small - I have XL and it's not loose.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 05:46 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
pgpg wrote:

On Saturday went 7:2 in U2000 and U2000 O40, losing in QF both times, to the #1 seed and eventual winner in the former and my club mate in the latter (in 5 games...). Was undefeated in RR, but interestingly enough lost at least one game in every match, or at least it felt that way. I guess focus was off somewhat.

For the first time I think I 'chopped down' someone at my level in a tournament: what I mean is that I did not really stay close to the table, but instead was trying to induce loop-chop rallies and won because of that. It's a rarity these days for me (chopping), but it was nice to know it was there when I needed it.

On Sunday I had 10-1 record: won U1900 and lost in the semis of U2050 (to the same club mate in 5 again...). Managed to win a few tight games and thought I did the right in-game adjustments more often than not, mostly switching to shorter or slower game to mess up attack-happy opponents, especially younger ones. Once or twice it was literally "hey, she plays just like L. from my club, I should do the same tactics here".

Edit: portion of the U2050 match on Sunday (I'm rocking OOAK shirt here, by the way):

Nice play, nice match! Nice shirt! Thanks for sharing...first thing I noticed without readying your post was how much you were chopping.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 05:51 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
pgpg wrote:
kaesees wrote:

Shirt is/was on clearance sale for 10$, and shipping is obviously not free, but all-in price was still quite decent:

https://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.ph ... cts_id=668

As a heads up, sizes run a bit small - I have XL and it's not loose.

So, I wear a large, should I buy a XL or a XXL? What do you usually wear in American sizes?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 05:58 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Japsican wrote:
pgpg wrote:

Nice play, nice match! Nice shirt! Thanks for sharing...first thing I noticed without readying your post was how much you were chopping.

Thanks! Actually, in my post I was referring to a different match, where I was chopping even more, I guess. Need to watch my own video too (and thanks to NextLevel for recording, by the way!).

I think it's much easier to play chopping defense at Westchester - there is actual space there.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 06:10 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Japsican wrote:
So, I wear a large, should I buy a XL or a XXL? What do you usually wear in American sizes?

XL should be fine, I think: that's what I have and I usually get L in US. Don't think they have XXL in stock, though. If they do and you prefer a loose fit, then get XXL.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 06:18 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
Nice advertisement, just picked one up as well. Now that I am back playing local tourneys and leagues - will represent OOAK :D

Congrats on your new rating! I knew you were much higher than your 1800s rating when you played the Teams. BTW, are you going to the Nationals this year?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 06:21 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

One interesting observation during this tournament: for the first time I saw 'strategic' defaulting right in front of me. One guy in my RR group was contemplating out loud not playing opponent because "he already played him earlier in another event". That was a bit unusual (and he indeed end up not playing him once it was obvious match was meaningless for advancement purposes).

Then in another event in my RR group C player also decided to default to D player because he felt like he had a real chance of losing and having ~30 points deducted from his ~1500+ rating. He probably was right, but then it was also obvious kid was going to be adjusted, so we were talking about at most 8-10 points loss perhaps. And yes, rating was THE main reason to default.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 06:29 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

notfound123 wrote:
Nice advertisement, just picked one up as well. Now that I am back playing local tourneys and leagues - will represent OOAK :D

Congrats on your new rating! I knew you were much higher than your 1800s rating when you played the Teams. BTW, are you going to the Nationals this year?

Represent! I'm still not convinced I should be that high, 'impostor syndrome' at its best, I guess.

No Nationals, vacation time is already spoken for. Will do Teams again, though ;) .

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2019, 00:38 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

For the first time tried a proper 'serve' grip, the one where you are holding blade by two fingers more or less, to free up the wrist. There is something to it - it was easier to keep serves short and looked like there was more spin on it. Even had an 'ace' short serve which triple bounced on opponent's side for a game point :rock: . Recovery was not an issue, I felt. Need to experiment more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 70  Next