OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: butterfly diode v blade
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 00:56 

Blade: Victas Fire Fall FC
FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Spinlord Dornenglanz
Good morning, has anyone played with this blade? Could you comment on it?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 11:12 

It's a copy of the discontinued Joo se hyuk. 5 ply off- medium stiff oversized blade.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 13:13 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
No it's not copy of JSH.

Instagram: rokphishtt

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 14:28 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Sure looks like the same blade but with a different name. They are advertising it as “better for the plastic ball” just like everyone else.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Post subject: butterfly diode v blade
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 14:58 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Different thickness, different characteristics/specs, looks like thinner, lighter, faster, more vibration than JSH.

both show up at the same page at Butterfly catalog.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 20:47 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Tenergy 05 1.7
BH: Victas P1V 1.0
I got myself one for birthday. After 3 years of playing Defplay and Stratus Powerdefense, I have to concede that this blade is really well made, far superior craftmanship to the previous mentioned. Alas, BTY seems to economize on finish, I had to round all edges and smooth the handle with very fine sanding paper.

- weight: 96g
- flared handle

Coverings: Hurricane 3 2,1 + Curl P1R 1,0
Overall weight: 184g

Impressions after 3 full training sessions:

- Stiff and hard/medium hard blade, thickness 5,7mm. Quite lively compared to Stratus Powerdefense, which gives a little bit more dampening effect and has a somewhat dead feeling.
- due to higher weight and larger blade size this setup is more head-balanced, but still comfortable. Handling is more sluggish, especially when playing at the table.
- remarkable: this blade is slower on chops and passive strokes than Stratus Powerdefense with same rubbers. I'm netting quite some shots because of it, placement often is not deep enough.
- Service is easy to control, the ball can be placed well (no matter whether short or deep), spin is good (perhaps also due to new rubbers)
- when attacking with topspin, the ball flies longer and higher compared to Stratus Powerdefense, attacking backspin is easy.
- if hitting harder, it transforms to a veritable attacking blade. I feel sort of a kick, similar to Donic Defplay, but more controllable. Same as I remember JSH, but the effect comes earlier.
- control is very good.

Conclusion:
I like the design of the blade. If trying to describe the feeling when playing the words solid and stable fit well. It seems to offer a larger spectrum of speed compared to Defplay or Powerdefense with very good control. Chopping is safe, attacking powerful. It feels like a little slower brother of JSH

Despite not wanting to change equipment while season is running, I used this setup exclusively the last training sessions. No difference when doing drills, match results have been more or less the same as with my well-known Powerdefense-Setup, although I still have numerous easy misses. I'm looking forward to the weekend when next team encounter will be played.

Last edited by 0x556c69 on 18 Mar 2019, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 17:46 

Six weeks later...

Didn't return to the Powerdefense, even for match play. In the mean time I sold off all other blades (and rubbers!) I had, including my old trusted Powerdefense and got a spare Diode V. This one weighs 95g, I notice no difference in playing characteristics to the first one. The issue I had with netting touch balls and chops beeing not deep enough is gone.

In a little EJ-fit I tried a Victas V>15 2,0 as inverted rubber. In short words: topspin and block: wow, attacking backspin: hmm, pushing: yuck! Match results have been ok, but I soon returned to H3 - no boosting, no neo, simply the plain commercial version.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 23:32 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
0x556c69 wrote:
Six weeks later...

Didn't return to the Powerdefense, even for match play. In the mean time I sold off all other blades (and rubbers!) I had, including my old trusted Powerdefense and got a spare Diode V. This one weighs 95g, I notice no difference in playing characteristics to the first one. The issue I had with netting touch balls and chops beeing not deep enough is gone.

In a little EJ-fit I tried a Victas V>15 2,0 as inverted rubber. In short words: topspin and block: wow, attacking backspin: hmm, pushing: yuck! Match results have been ok, but I soon returned to H3 - no boosting, no neo, simply the plain commercial version.

Agreed. V>15 is not great for pushing, especially if you are used to H3. Interested in this blade, still seems a little too heavy at 96g.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 17:21 

Japsican wrote:
...still seems a little too heavy at 96g

Some thoughts on racket weight:
- If you are playing with short strokes, much wrist and sharply accelerated movements I agree. But if your technique tends to favour longer strokes the weight of the blade does not really matter.
- In my experience when playing from mid distance some mass really helps generating power and stabilizing your stroke. (Did I mention? I use defense/underspin to set up attacks. In my heart I am not a defender. I have to force myself taking a slow start to each rally...)
- Rationally it's more of a felt difference than a real existing one: a setup consisting of VKM, Innershield, VKMO, etc with same rubbers is 10g less at most - around 175g compared to 185g. Does this really matter?
- My first VKM had 97g, my first JSH 94g. Seems quite similar. And I had a VKM and two Defplay at ~80g that warped (is this the correct word for the survace not beeing flat anymore?). Didn't ever experience this with heavier and/or thicker blades.
Japsican wrote:
Interested in this blade...

Diode V is not so much different to VKM, VKMO, VKMS or a lightweight JSH as to make a real difference. Nobody will get a better player using it. My advice:
- don't read blade or rubber reviews. This is :devil:'s way to boost the TT suppliers.
- resist your EJ urge :angel:.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2019, 05:56 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
I have both the JSH and Diode V with the same FH rubber (Rozena 2,1mm). The weight is 97g each.

I’m no guru but the Diode V feels quite a bit faster with less dwell. The outer ply of the Diode is quite a bit thinner.

I’ve got different LP rubbers in BH so I can’t really compare that.

Edit: I’ve used Rozena for about 6 months on both the Korbel and ALC.S so it’s very familiar to me.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 19:36 

0x556c69 wrote:
- due to higher weight and larger blade size this setup is more head-balanced, but still comfortable. Handling is more sluggish, especially when playing at the table.

This issue is much better now. I reduced the blade's size to 160x153mm (shape: soulspin L) and feel very comfortable with the blade now. Speedwise I don't feel much difference, the blade is fast anyway. Control is even better now, probably due to better timing. Of course, this is based on my personal preference and other players might feel different.

As a sidekick I tried Stiga Defensive Pro, but this will not become my favourite. I am currently transforming to a more attacking style (caused by my SP project) and this blade is way slower than Diode V. Perhaps I come back to it when I'm getting older...

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 07:12 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
Here's an update on my thoughts about the Diode V as I've played with it a lot during the last couple of months.

A short presentation: Used to play with inverted in a club with some limited coaching when I was 9-12 and then paused competitive table tennis for about 27 years. Been training with a club for 1,5 years 8-10h/week with a tournament or league match pretty every week which probably adds up to 12h of TT / week. Switched to LP in mid March so I'm by no means an expert at the LP side of things but I've tried a lot of blades.

I'm getting really confused when reading peoples thoughts about defensive blades. Maybe I'm mainly focusing of the offensive qualities (i.e. looping) and missing the point. The Diode V is completely different to the JSH. You only need to listen to the sound when hitting a hard loop to realise this. The pitch is so much higher.

To me the JSH is a bit more like a 7 ply blade like a clipper and and the Diode is a bit more like a hardwood 5 ply like the Stiga Nostalgic. The Diode is much easier to loop with. The LP play (mainly chopping and countering backspin for me) is fairly similar. Blades like VKM and 980XX are completely different and I can't believe that people compare them with the JSH and Diode V. The VKM is fantastic but so much slower than the Diode V.

Just my amateur 0.02$.

(I'm using a combination of Rozena 2,1mm and Dtecs 0.5mm on all blades. I buy Butterfly as I play for a club that is Butterfly sponsored so we get nice discounts.)

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 21:40 

Blade: homemade
FH: 729FX SuperSoft
BH: 729FX SuperSoft
mart1nandersson wrote:
Blades like VKM and 980XX are completely different and I can't believe that people compare them with the JSH and Diode V. The VKM is fantastic but so much slower than the Diode V.

Had anyone measured the frequency of these blades?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 03:52 
Super User

anyone knows what wood plys are used for this blade?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019, 18:03 

Blade: homemade
FH: 729FX SuperSoft
BH: 729FX SuperSoft
fazer227 wrote:
anyone knows what wood plys are used for this blade?

I am searching for that too.
As I have found, Butterfly JSH structure is this: planconella/poplar/kiri/poplar/planchonella

Butterfly Diode V: to me, the outer layer looks like Anegre.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!