OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Shakehand Grip Query
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 16:07 

Blade: Stiga
FH: Yasaka Mark 5
BH: Yaska Mark 5
Hello All,

So when I started playing table tennis, I did start off with a tight shakehadn grip and once I got better at the game, I started playing more with technique rather than casual recreational play.

My current grip is a perfect shake-hand grip, however I still feel I hold the bat a little stiffly, so from the past 2 months, I have been researching online and have found many videos, where its adviced to hold the bat with just the index finger and thumb and this allows for more wrist movement. I have been following this, at first it felt very wield, as I felt I didn't have much control over then paddle, but over 10 sessions my other three finger gradually started griping the paddle loosely and I love the amount of wrist movement and spin I'm able to generate.

The Problem : I feel now, for forehand topspins, I'm generating 80% straight topspin and 20% side spin. I feel i need to change my playing style and hit the ball much late, to generate 100% topspin. Is it normal to genrate sidespin ?
I have a constant need to generate more topspin and 0 sidespin, which allows me to hit the ball much harder

Last edited by rahulsteel on 28 Feb 2019, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Shakehand Grip Query
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 17:36 
Super User

As far as I know, sidespin is normal. Are you squatting to the right height? Before changing contact time, maybe change your stance. I find lower to be better (to a certain extent).

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2019, 15:59 

Yes, intuitively, I have been squatting more than usual to get direct topspin, and my bat angle has reduced more, however i feel with a lower bat angle there is absolutely no room for error, for any part of the shot, right from arm movement, elbow and wrist, even a slight error is not forgiving.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2019, 18:22 
Super User

Just my opinion, but 100% topspin is not that important. As long as you are able to generate enough power and control placement, the 80/20 is perfectly fine. I don't think any pro is worried about 100% topspin.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2019, 20:54 

lasta wrote:
Just my opinion, but 100% topspin is not that important. As long as you are able to generate enough power and control placement, the 80/20 is perfectly fine. I don't think any pro is worried about 100% topspin.

Agreed, howeevr when the ball overshoots, because of the lack of that extra 20% topspin (due to side spin), its very irritating. I just wish there's an easy way to change stance and timing to ensure 100% topspin

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 18:33 
Super User

rahulsteel wrote:
I have a constant need to generate more topspin and 0 sidespin, which allows me to hit the ball much harder

...and here, I am practicing, to generate more side-spin on my topspins ....

I'm also working on relaxing my grip, and also fore-arm, so that I can get that so-called snap... I've realised, that the more relaxed my arm is, the better the quality of top-spin..

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 16:08 

Hello guys,

Sorry for reviving this thread; have a small question for all the shake-hand grip players out there.

While holding the paddle are you using the mainly the thumb and index finger for control or the other 3 fingers. On youtube, there are some training videos which suggest holding the paddle mainly with the thumb and index finger, while some videos suggest its better to hold the paddle with the other 3 fingers, keeping the thumb and index finger pretty loose.

Regards,
Rahul

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2019, 03:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

YMMV.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2019, 07:51 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

A Chinese coach taught me the penhold grip and the shakehand grip in the mid-late 1970's. I was told to use the last 3 fingers for SH. The game was quite different compared to today's game. The ball was 38 mm, attacking style was closer to the table, and there was no "banana backhand". Backhand service was also common.
What I am trying to say is, it depends on the style of play. Ask the choppers in this forum and they will likely tell you they use the last 3 fingers to grip SH.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2019, 21:01 

If you look at the below video, its clearly indicated to use last three fingers, however as per the video posted by iskandar taib, its instructed to use the index and thumb. This is so contradictory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi27l74iE10

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2019, 12:07 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
rahulsteel wrote:
If you look at the below video, its clearly indicated to use last three fingers, however as per the video posted by iskandar taib, its instructed to use the index and thumb. This is so contradictory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi27l74iE10

I think you need to understand that TT is not an exact science and no one true answer works.

Thumb and index finger squeezing makes the wrist inflexible. Some people generate tons of speed / power from knee flexing, hip rotating, shoulder snapping, arm whipping, etc. This helps those people get consistency of stroke.

Other people prefer squeezing middle, ring and small finger around the handle ( only when playing the stroke ) which makes the wrist very flexible. Some people have a very wristy stroke and use forearm + wrist a lot more.

C-pen / J-pen have a differing mechanics for their strokes.

Your own judgement is needed with a pinch of salt on what you read or hear anywhere. Only when you get to the table can you decide, or let a coach decide for you.

So YMMV ---> your mileage may vary .... means for you none of this might work ...

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!