OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Storing used pips rubber
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 05:41 

Blade: DONIC Defplay Senso V3
FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm
BH: TSP SpinpipsChop II 1.4mm
A newbie question: I am thinking of changing the TSP Spinpips Chop2 from my blade to TSP Curl P1R. I found it very very difficult for my skill to use this rubber. I Know that is a good one but as I am a newbie I need something that will help me have more consistency. As the Spinpips is "almost" new I would like to store it in order to try it again in 5-6 months or maybe even more when my skills have been improved. So my questions are:
  • How to store it in order not to loose its properties
  • Do you thing that Curl P1R 1mm is an easier rubber or should I go for Curl P4? (Rest of the bat is Defplay Senso v3 and Rakza7 Soft)

At this moment I use the Yinhe 980 with Neptune and Mercury2 and I find this 30$ combo a lot easier for modern defence than the Defplay combo and help me improve my game and win matches that I couldn't with the Defplay combo.

@work setup: blade: Yinhe 980 | FH: Yinhe Mercury2 2.1mm | BH: Yinhe Neptune 0.7mm
to-be-used setup: blade: DONIC DefPlay Senso 3 | FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 soft 1.8mm | BH: TSP SpinPips Chop 2 1.4mm

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 15:45 
Super User

tzifos wrote:
A newbie question: I am thinking of changing the TSP Spinpips Chop2 from my blade to TSP Curl P1R. I found it very very difficult for my skill to use this rubber. I Know that is a good one but as I am a newbie I need something that will help me have more consistency. As the Spinpips is "almost" new I would like to store it in order to try it again in 5-6 months or maybe even more when my skills have been improved. So my questions are:
  • How to store it in order not to loose its properties
  • Do you thing that Curl P1R 1mm is an easier rubber or should I go for Curl P4? (Rest of the bat is Defplay Senso v3 and Rakza7 Soft)

At this moment I use the Yinhe 980 with Neptune and Mercury2 and I find this 30$ combo a lot easier for modern defence than the Defplay combo and help me improve my game and win matches that I couldn't with the Defplay combo.

DISCLAIMER : I've never played (only tried once/twice the P-1R 1mm odd on a Joo blade), with any of the rubbers ....

I do, however, own and play with a Defplay Senso V3; and in the past, I've used a grippy'er LP - namely, Dawei 388D-1 OX on it... I play a mixed style (close-to-the-table push+block, and away, mid-distance chop), and feel that the Defplay Senso V3 can be quite springy. This spingy'ness, coupled with a LP on the grippy'er side, made the ball pop-up quite a bit, or go long... On the other-hand, top-spinning with this blade is really nice... I now prefer to glue-on rubbers that're less springy, onto this blade... The AK-47 blue, on this blade, works quite well for me.

You've not mentioned, your style of play... based on the setups you've mentioned, I'm assuming you're a defender/chopper...

From the little I played with the P-1R + Joo, I remember it being quite fast for me.... Apart from that, I don't recollect any stand-out features...

Infact, I'm strongly considering getting a Yinhe 980 for myself ... From what I hear, it seems to be around the same speed and weight as the Defplay V3, but stiffer and less springy.

Since you're playing with both - How does the 980 compare to the Defplay V3 ?

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 17:00 

ootbs wrote:
DISCLAIMER : I've never played (only tried once/twice the P-1R 1mm odd on a Joo blade), with any of the rubbers ....

I do, however, own and play with a Defplay Senso V3; and in the past, I've used a grippy'er LP - namely, Dawei 388D-1 OX on it... I play a mixed style (close-to-the-table push+block, and away, mid-distance chop), and feel that the Defplay Senso V3 can be quite springy. This spingy'ness, coupled with a LP on the grippy'er side, made the ball pop-up quite a bit, or go long... On the other-hand, top-spinning with this blade is really nice... I now prefer to glue-on rubbers that're less springy, onto this blade... The AK-47 blue, on this blade, works quite well for me.

You've not mentioned, your style of play... based on the setups you've mentioned, I'm assuming you're a defender/chopper...

From the little I played with the P-1R + Joo, I remember it being quite fast for me.... Apart from that, I don't recollect any stand-out features...

Infact, I'm strongly considering getting a Yinhe 980 for myself ... From what I hear, it seems to be around the same speed and weight as the Defplay V3, but stiffer and less springy.

Since you're playing with both - How does the 980 compare to the Defplay V3 ?

I like 980, yes it is a bit stiffer and much less springy, the downside is that this blade is a bit heavier than Defplay Senso. I am thinking of modifying a bit the 980's handle and change Mercury2 to AK47 Blue in order to bring down the weight. I like it more than Defplay bat. Maybe because the Defplay combo is for more advanced players.

My style of play is, I loop a lot with FH and chop mid & far with BH. I also block a lot near the table twiddling the blade so the opponent do not know what to expect; a very soft block with pimps or a fast counter block. I also push a lot FH & BH, twiddling too for the same reason. Yes they hate me, and with 980bat even more. I never attack with BH, I haven't learn this and here is where Spinpips Chop2 is far better than Neptune LP so I cannot utilize this rubber at the moment.

So how do I store a slightly used pip rubber for later?

@work setup: blade: Yinhe 980 | FH: Yinhe Mercury2 2.1mm | BH: Yinhe Neptune 0.7mm
to-be-used setup: blade: DONIC DefPlay Senso 3 | FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 soft 1.8mm | BH: TSP SpinPips Chop 2 1.4mm

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 18:27 

I see that I have post this in the wrong section... Sorry for this. Can any moderator fix this please?

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 19:33 
Super User

tzifos wrote:

So how do I store a slightly used pip rubber for later?

I never throw away the factory packaging... I simply store all my rubbers in the same factory packaging, that it came in, away from sun-light ... I have some rubbers stored this way, for well over a year ... no problem (so far)... However, I do suspect that after sometime, the sponge (if any) may get hard/brittle ... I have, just 7-8 rubbers, of various types, stored-away... I will, however, take them out, once every month or so... just for a few minutes..

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2019, 17:59 

Thank you! Good thing that I never throw anything away, I have kept the rubber packages! :)

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2019, 18:39 
Super User

tzifos wrote:
I like 980, yes it is a bit stiffer and much less springy, the downside is that this blade is a bit heavier than Defplay Senso.

I prefer playing with lighter setup, due to issues with my shoulder and elbow...

My Defplay Senso V3, weighed-in at around 85gms, bare ... The entire Setup 1 (In my signature) weighs-in at around 158gms...

From what I've read, the 980 weighs around 85gms, which is the same as my Defplay V3...

tzifos wrote:
I am thinking of modifying a bit the 980's handle and change Mercury2 to AK47 Blue, in order to bring down the weight

The AK-47 Blue, is one of the lightest inverted rubbers I've played with....Switching to it, should bring down the over-all weight of your setup ...

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 02:14 

ootbs wrote:
tzifos wrote:
I like 980, yes it is a bit stiffer and much less springy, the downside is that this blade is a bit heavier than Defplay Senso.

I prefer playing with lighter setup, due to issues with my shoulder and elbow...

My Defplay Senso V3, weighed-in at around 85gms, bare ... The entire Setup 1 (In my signature) weighs-in at around 158gms...

From what I've read, the 980 weighs around 85gms, which is the same as my Defplay V3...

tzifos wrote:
I am thinking of modifying a bit the 980's handle and change Mercury2 to AK47 Blue, in order to bring down the weight

The AK-47 Blue, is one of the lightest inverted rubbers I've played with....Switching to it, should bring down the over-all weight of your setup ...

I was SO wrong regarding the weight. Of course I cannot remove the rubbers and weight just the bat, but the Yinhe 980 combo is about 7 grams less than the Defplay combo:
blade: Yinhe 980 | FH: Yinhe Mercury2 2.1mm | BH: Yinhe Neptune 0.7mm = 164.64 grams (no-sealed blade)
blade: DONIC DefPlay Senso 3 | FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 soft 1.8mm | BH: TSP SpinPips Chop 2 1.4mm = 171.17 grams (blade is sealed by TT11.com)
both came pre-assembled, from TT11.com and from an aliexpress store.

But as the handle of the Defplay is so hollow and light it gives me the impression of being lighter than 980 which is not true!! Is Yinhe Mercury 2 rubber lighter than AK47 blue?? I hope not as I have ordered it already.

I am still thinking of modifying the 980 handle as it is Flaired, not Straight so I will earn 2-3 grams from this and make the twiddling even easier.

Attachment:
weight.jpg
weight.jpg [ 56.49 KiB | Viewed 1177 times ]

I still cannot believe it, I swear i feel the Defplay lighter!

PS. I search a bit in revspin.net and the Mercury2 is in the "heavy" side of rubbers, a guy writes " it is a bit heavy: 49 grams cut (exactly like Globe999)."
While the AK47 Blue is very light "Weighs cut about 38 grams (basically nothing)" & another " The rubber cuts tidily and is light (44g cut)." so I might be able to gain 4~8 grams from the rubber change.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 03:32 
Super User

tzifos wrote:

both came pre-assembled, from TT11.com and from an aliexpress store.

But as the handle of the Defplay is so hollow and light it gives me the impression of being lighter than 980 which is not true!! Is Yinhe Mercury 2 rubber lighter than AK47 blue?? I hope not as I have ordered it already.

I am still thinking of modifying the 980 handle as it is Flaired, not Straight so I will earn 2-3 grams from this and make the twiddling even easier.

I still cannot believe it, I swear i feel the Defplay lighter!

PS. I search a bit in revspin.net and the Mercury2 is in the "heavy" side of rubbers, a guy writes " it is a bit heavy: 49 grams cut (exactly like Globe999)."
While the AK47 Blue is very light "Weighs cut about 38 grams (basically nothing)" & another " The rubber cuts tidily and is light (44g cut)." so I might be able to gain 4~8 grams from the rubber change.

The Defplay V3 may feel light, due the hollow handle... Alternately, the 980 may be head-heavy, giving you the impression that it's heavier...

The AK-47, should be lighter than the Mercury II... However, I would not go by figures posted by someone else.. That someone else, may be using a regular sized blade... The AK-47, cut to the proportions of an over-sized blade, such as Defplay or 980, may weigh more...

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 06:45 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Honestly, just make sure it isn't near the sun when you store, and it keeps away from dust, oil, and other dirty stuff.

Rating: Recreational Player