OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 13:02 

Blade: Galaxy Children's Carbon
FH: Nittaku Moristo DF 1.3mm
BH: Yinhe Neptune .7mm
Being a fellow EJ, I just got to try this Sandwind, mainly, on the forehand.

My style offensive all-around with an attacking long pips backhand.

I loop as variation on my forehand but typical of taller players (6'2") I prefer to hit flat for winners, basically looping to hit.

And from the youtube videos of the Sandwind, similar to long pips, variation can be achieved with slide blocks and slide sidespin chop lifting strokes during rallies or service return. I enjoy chopping and from the videos, topspin seems easy enough to create.

It might be the perfect rubber for me...or definitely not!

I have a doubles event this Sunday so no equipment changes until after 5/12. I have a sheet of Sandwind 1.8mm coming from OOAK, so will report on results, though the rubber will be quite different than inverted so it may take a while to adjust my game to the new surface.

PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 17:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
i need to try this aswell.
im happy with butterfly raystorm but ive always wanted to try this as it is spin resistant

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 18:26 

I'm going to need a much faster blade, at least OFF, to play with the Sandwind. Only hit with it for about 10 minutes, you can forehand loop with it but not much spin as it seems to slide off the rubber.

But if I were to use it to chop and flat hit through spin, it may yet be a viable option, however that style would need 2 months training at least.

I may find a student who would naturally slide into that style. But another tournament this Saturday so I have stick to my normal set-up.

I currently train 4 students in the Palm Desert area, a Seemiller style lefty, with Pluto medium pips as his go to mode but also inverted so he can quickly adapt to different opponents. It's a nasty style last time we played he took the first game.

And 3 righty beginner players between 400 to 1000.

Taught young, playing for 42 years now, I'm 50! Highest rating 2003 in 2007,

Currently USATT 1747.

PostPosted: 24 May 2019, 19:38 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Sounds like you would be better off with a fast short pip like Waran in 1.5mm or 1,8mm on your FH . it is good for both hitting through spin, and chopping - not so good for looping unless against heavy topspin due to the low throw

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 18:24 

Ok, had more time on the Sandwind on the forehand, I'm having trouble creating heavy topspin with it but I can flat hit through any type of spin and it chops and pushes well with variation.

I know it's not meant to be a looping rubber, I just want the ability to loop if I start having trouble flat hitting heavy, low chop. Tonight at club I was able to hit through low heavy chop and also flat hit or chop heavy topspin loops with ease and confidence.

My dilemma, if I cannot produce heavy enough spin while serving or looping, will my game be effective enough to still play at a usatt 1700-ish level. Will a strictly flat hitting game with mixed chopping and slide pushing be as formidable as my usual inverted/long pip set-up.

I was only able to play in doubles last night, my usual playing mates saw I had long pips and an attacking Anti and they got conveniently busy playing other players :)

However I had enough success in doubles to try it out next club, Friday afternoon, and I will get singles feedback.

Also have a sheet of RITC 802-40 1.8mm coming, so I'm experimenting in between tournaments.

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 20:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Do you have pimples on the other side, or inverted?

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 01:56 

You are correct Darknight, Sandwind on the forehand, Yinhe Neptune long pips on the backhand. What I do like about this set-up is I don't need to flip my blade to the long pip side to return spinny serves, the Sandwind handles spinny serves with an open faced underspin sidespin swipe easily.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 06:30 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I also played for awhile with Sandwind on the forehand and long pips on the backhand. I think the Sandwind is a great and unique rubber, and I was enjoying lots of success with it with the old ball. I would've stuck with it if not for the ABS ball, which, in my opinion, made serving, pushing and looping with the Sandwind too ineffective due to the fact that the ABS ball doesn't spin very much, and when you coupled that with a rubber that doesn't generate that much spin, the results were that it was too easy for skilled opponents to tee off on the ball.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 13:43 

I have only played with the Sandwind with the 40+ ball but I have to agree with Tradesman, hitting through spin seems to be Sandwind's strength, it will be good for a player with a strictly flat forehand. I will play with it a little tomorrow at least one match but just received 802-40, which I think will have more all-around characteristics, now I got to start this thread to the short pip section lol.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 14:50 

Success with the Sandwind, destroyed the two top players, 3 matches, 3-0, easily.

Need a lot more practice with it. More to come I need to analyze after sleep.

I could reach in or take deep serves with a flat hit (medium fast) against any serve, heavy chop, heavy top, it didn't matter. I hit so many winners on the forehand side that my opponents would instead serve into my long pips just to get a slow enough ball that they were able to counter in some way. Then I started flipping my paddle to see how it felt on the backhand, pretty good.

It's like inverted, you can produce good spin. It's like Anti and/or short pips to, I can hit through spin without having the ball float off the table because of the spin reversal.

If I can master this rubber over time, my game could be down right scary.

More to come, I need to buy a new camera start watching film again, however I have been unable to load videos from my computer onto this website, it always freezes.

Regards.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 18:05 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
flipper4pipper wrote:
It's like inverted, you can produce good spin. It's like Anti and/or short pips to, I can hit through spin without having the ball float off the table because of the spin reversal.

Sounds extraordinary!

Quote:
I have been unable to load videos from my computer onto this website, it always freezes.

The approach I've used is to upload to youtube, but set it as 'unlisted', and then paste the URL to the youtube video here. The forum software will embed it for you.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 13:12 

Going to have my second full training session with my Sandwind LP combination Monday.

I really only have a month before my next tournament (I don't take breaks even in EJ mode, I adapt), so I need to work on the basics of several strokes, pushing, placement blocking, chop blocking, chopping and looping on the Sandwind/forehand side.

I will see if I can still flat hit through any spin on service return, which I was able to do last Friday with absolute ease, that being the main advantage to this rubber; can you imagine never "having" to push a serve back, just cracking it?

I get a new camera on Friday, I truly believe watching film is essential for improvement (and it's cool to replay a killer shot or point.) My main concern with this rubber is I may not get enough spin on my serves however I am willing to sacrifice this if I gain the ability to attack any ball at will.

More tomorrow.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 13:32 
Super User

On a side note, how do you find the Galaxy children's carbon blade? I have the allwood version which I will try at some point.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2019, 05:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
...been using Sandwind 1.5 on my bh for a few months. Great weapon , good control ,.... my aim is not speed any more ,.... at high levels maybe an off blade is necessary with SW .... we can deceive when serving ,..it is safe when receiving serves ,....

... and durable as well ,.... I can come back to SW at any time and no trouble adapting to it again ,....

I recommend it for anyone looking for a versatile game .. :)

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2019, 04:54 

TTbuddy, yes I really like the Galaxy Children's Carbon good feel when I need control and it snaps when I need power. Mixed results with the Sandwind lately but still encouraging. I need practice pushing with it, it kinda pops up like a LP push. Did have a good training session looping with it. My camera comes Saturday really need to film and watch film.