OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Help choosing rubber
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 04:52 

Blade: Joola Viva
FH: jooLA Rhyzm 425
BH: jooLA Rhyzm 425
I've been playing for a few years now and id say i'm at an intermediate level. I've been using a Joola viva blade with JOOLA Rhyzm 425 rubber on both sides. This has been the only custom I've ever used and i'm finally deciding to buy new rubber. I've been looking for weeks now and i'm completely confused because of mixed reviews and opinions and my lack of experience with different equipment. I like my blade but always felt like my rubber was too fast since I was just beginning to learn strokes. I've finally adjusted to the rubber after a year and I don't know if I should use something slower and build my technic or use something similar. Ideally I want to spend under $60 for both sheets. Alot of people say try the mark V or Shriver but other say that its outdated and It seems like it may be a downgrade from the Rhyzm. The DHS hurricane 3 neo is a good price but seems like it may be too hard for me to use. I used a friends paddle which had the rozena rubber which I liked but I feel like it may be un necessary. Ive also been looking at some cheap Chinese rubber like Friendship Super 729 FX, LKT Rapid Speed, or TUTTLE Beijing IV. I also don't really know my play style but I would like to loop more. I'm good and pushing and blocking. The Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft looks good but seems like its too advanced for me and alittle too expensive. Also dont know if I should use different rubber on bh and fh if I did i would probably want something softer on forehand. How does rozena FH and H3 neo on BH sound?

Post subject: Re: Help choosing rubber
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 05:13 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Rozena on FH and H3 Neo on BH sounds unconventional to me.
Why do you think you'd want the FH rubber to be softer than the BH? Typically, it's the other way around.
Also, using the same rubber on both sides is absolutely fine, although it isn't a rule in any way.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 05:22 

I just assumed since forehand generates more power you would want more control. And also since I need to improve more with on my forehand.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 05:34 
Super User

atti wrote:
I just assumed since forehand generates more power you would want more control. And also since I need to improve more with on my forehand.

FH being able to generate more power is the very reason why many people would put harder rubber on the FH side and softer on the BH.

I think there's nothing wrong with trying the H3 Neo but I'd suggest putting it on the FH.
I guess what you could do is to buy one sheet of H3 Neo and try it on both FH and BH sides to see whether it suits you at all. It might happen that you will dislike the feeling as it will be different from what you are used to.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 05:40 

Yea i'm afraid I wont like how it feels, and I cant afford to try different thing. also is H3 neo good for someone who's still learning? Would the mark V be a smarter choice? Also any thoughts on the super cheap Chinese rubber?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 05:45 
Super User

KTL (LKT) Pro XP has had good reviews, is cheap and I believe non- or only slightly tacky.
Another option could be Friendship/729 Focus 3 Snipe which is also cheap, light, and non-tacky.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 05:47 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I'm a big fan of the so-called cheap Chinese rubbers. Something like 729 FX Super on the FH and 729 FH Lightening on the FH would set you back very little, be spinny and controlled, and be a good allround setup.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 05:58 

Some of those cheaper options seem like they may be too hard. I don't want to go any harder than my Rhyzm 425. The TUTTLE Beijing IV seems like a good alternative because its cheap Chinese rubber that apparently plays like European. I also wouldn't mind spending more money on something like the shriver if I knew it was worth it.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 07:41 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
atti wrote:
Some of those cheaper options seem like they may be too hard. I don't want to go any harder than my Rhyzm 425. The TUTTLE Beijing IV seems like a good alternative because its cheap Chinese rubber that apparently plays like European. I also wouldn't mind spending more money on something like the shriver if I knew it was worth it.

Is there a reason for that? Because you read it somewhere? Because someone told you? Because you have a sentimental attachment to 42.5 degree sponge (the clue is in the name!)? That's quite hard - the Tenergy 05 Hard is 43 degrees.

729FX Lightening is 35 degree sponge.

Beijing IV has 36 degree sponge... which is the same as regular Tenergy 05.

Sriver is excellent quality... but it's hard to know what you mean my 'worth it'. If you think spending $40-50 extra is going to make a massive difference to your game, you're mistaken. It's not a waste - the products are excellent quality, and good to use. But in my view you'd do just as well with 729 at half to a third of the price.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 07:45 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Have you asked to try a few shots with friends' / acquaintances' / strangers' bats that have any of the possible rubbers you have listed?

This may give you more information than 20 pages of replies to your question here.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 08:00 

I tried different people's bats at the place I play, but most of them use tenergy. I haven't encountered any shriver or mark V, also they usually use carbon blades so its hard to tell. Most people I play with tell me to invest in good rubber. They usually say the mark V is "old technology", I don't really know what that means. I just want to get something that will help me improve and can also allow me to compete with people that have more expensive rubber. I do well with the Rhyzm 425 so I don't want anything that feels too different.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 10:52 
Super User

When your skills develop to a certain point, you will know exactly what needs to be changed. From what I can see, you are not quite sure what to change from your current setup. So my advice is to stick with the same rubbers (get 2 new sheets) and play until you do know what to change. It will come naturally.

For a longer term tip, I recommend new players to use the HARDEST rubbers they can handle. 42.5 to me is super soft, very forgiving for poor technique, but extremely non-linear and unreliable for people with good technique and power. Harder rubbers and stiffer blades are more linear, predictable, thus better control. Not as bouncy on low effort shots, but more power on high effort shots. Your "hit rate" will be lower, but you will also feel the impact more clearly and notice a poorly executed shot, which helps with learning.

If using ESN, I recommend nothing less than 45, 47.5-50 is preferred.

If you absolutely need to change, Xiom Vega Pro is a very solid rubber at reasonable price, and a good benchmark for future purchases. Not too hard, not too fast. Similar to T05. It will be faster than what you have now, but not completely unreasonable. In time, you will realize nothing is too fast.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 14:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

atti wrote:

Strangely enough, to me Rakza 7 (which is reputably soft) is faster than Yinhe 9000 (excellent $5 Chinese sheet with typically hard Chinese sponge). I have them on the same blade, so it's easy to test by flipping the racket around.

There are lots of Chinese rubbers that supposedly "plays like European".. and I suppose it's true to varying degrees - DHS Tin Arc (Gold Arc 5 and 8 ARE European rubbers and don't count.. :lol:) , Sanwei Target National, 729 Presto, 729 Battle II, and the two we were discussing recently, Reactor Tornado and Three Sword Red Dragon.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 19:48 
Super User

ziv wrote:
atti wrote:
I think there's nothing wrong with trying the H3 Neo but I'd suggest putting it on the FH.

When I played double-inverted, I bought a sheet of H3 Neo, intended for FH, but I ended-up using it on the BH... Awesome rubber, for my BH ...

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 19:52 
Super User

As always, I'll recommend either ..

• Friendship/729 Focus III Snipe
  • Palio AK-47 (Blue and/or Yellow)
  • DHS H3 Neo, if you have a moderate budget
  • Xiom Vega Europe or Pro, if you have a bigger budget

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!