OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 06:37 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Watched this video in the background and tuned in just for the technique demonstrations. What's truly incredible to me about her game (and you can see this in some of the actual games she plays in the videos above) is the lightning-fast transition from the pips backhand to the forehand drive/smash she uses. She demonstrates this starting at around the 35-minute mark.

Lots of us who play primarily a close-to-the-table blocking style stay in a backhand-dominant stance and so find it hard to get around for a forehand unless the ball is coming in slowly. She doesn't have this issue. First, of course, she stands in a more neutral stance, and yet when taking the ball with her pips, she still generally steps forward with her right leg, putting her in a backhand stance. But she then quickly brings her right leg back into a neutral stance. What's more significant, however, is that to do her forehand, she hardly pivots her body at all and uses a very short and compact forehand motion to pound the ball. As a result, she loses no time whatsoever in turning around from backhand to forehand. I'm sure it takes a long time to develop this kind of touch, but it's something worth practicing.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 21:37 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
I noticed the same thing: footwork on her BH shots (tough to change from my well established 'potted plant' technique) and aggressive/compact FH, both with pips and inverted.

One more observation: I'm really surprised how she manages to block so many loops, effortlessly too - her block is pretty active, with forward motion as seen in sideway shots, and yet it goes back pretty softly and reliably. Mine frequently fly off the end like bullets and it's not even close. Does she pull back on contact and then goes forward??? Could not see it in video. :(

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 03:07 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
I find it fairly easy to do active blocks with Dtecs (0.5mm) if I really focus on a relaxed grip. Not thinking that I'm playing with LP and behaving that it's a normal inverted rubber helps me mentally. Doing the old Waldner trick of just holding the blade with two fingers does wonders.

Her footwork is amazing like all pros. You can do anything with any rubber or blade if you have great footwork.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 10:28 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Not really Park Hyun Mi's video, but OX instruction nevertheless:

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 08:45 

Did they say what she uses on forehand? thin and hard inverted rubber?