OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Help choosing rubber
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 04:37 

Blade: Joola Viva
FH: jooLA Rhyzm 425
BH: jooLA Rhyzm 425
lasta wrote:
For a longer term tip, I recommend new players to use the HARDEST rubbers they can handle. 42.5 to me is super soft, very forgiving for poor technique, but extremely non-linear and unreliable for people with good technique and power. Harder rubbers and stiffer blades are more linear, predictable, thus better control. Not as bouncy on low effort shots, but more power on high effort shots. Your "hit rate" will be lower, but you will also feel the impact more clearly and notice a poorly executed shot, which helps with learning.

Ive read on different forms that you should use flexible blades and softer rubber so you can have more feel to develop strokes. If its hard and fast wont the bat be doing all the work and you will rely on that instead of generating spin and speed from technic.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 04:40 

If i decide to get the H3 neo for FH what would be a good BH rubber thats less than $30?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 05:07 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
atti wrote:
If i decide to get the H3 neo for FH what would be a good BH rubber thats less than $30?

729FX Lightening is about 13 euros... I can't imagine it being much more usd.

Palio AK47 - blue or yellow - about 20 euros.

Both superb.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 12:33 
Super User

atti wrote:
lasta wrote:
For a longer term tip, I recommend new players to use the HARDEST rubbers they can handle. 42.5 to me is super soft, very forgiving for poor technique, but extremely non-linear and unreliable for people with good technique and power. Harder rubbers and stiffer blades are more linear, predictable, thus better control. Not as bouncy on low effort shots, but more power on high effort shots. Your "hit rate" will be lower, but you will also feel the impact more clearly and notice a poorly executed shot, which helps with learning.

Ive read on different forms that you should use flexible blades and softer rubber so you can have more feel to develop strokes. If its hard and fast wont the bat be doing all the work and you will rely on that instead of generating spin and speed from technic.

A common misconception. Its soft bouncy rubbers that do all the work for you. Harder is more linear in response. Not as fast on weak strokes, faster on hard strokes.

Same with blades (to a certain extent). Stiffer is more linear, response is more predictable, but less tolerant to wrong angles, poor technique etc.

Depends on how you define "control". linear and predictable=high control, or forgiving to bad form=high control.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 21:36 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
lasta wrote:
atti wrote:
lasta wrote:

A common misconception. Its soft bouncy rubbers that do all the work for you. Harder is more linear in response. Not as fast on weak strokes, faster on hard strokes.

Same with blades (to a certain extent). Stiffer is more linear, response is more predictable, but less tolerant to wrong angles, poor technique etc.

Depends on how you define "control". linear and predictable=high control, or forgiving to bad form=high control.

I have seen where soft rubbers + flexi-blades help players develop much more touch sensitive close-to-table game. The hard-medium-hard rubbers on All+ or Off- blades help with the power and spin away from the table ... there will always be compromise and the player must find the best combination that they can adjust for. IMHO (in my humble opinion)

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 04:05 

Ok so i think ill stick with something that has a similar hardness to the Rhyzm 425, would the h3 neo be too soft? What are some cheap rubbers that would be good for developing technic?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 04:22 

Blade: Stiga All round Classic
FH: Yasaka Mark V Max
BH: Yasaka Mark V Max
Recently I switched from Mark V to H3 NEO FH/729 Focus Snipe 2 BH. I would say stay away from tacky rubbers (H3 Neo) if you don't have excellent footwork, full strokes. 729 Focus Snipe is excellent, somewhat similar to Mark V at a lesser price about 10 Usd. You would need to adjust your technique a lot to handle tacky rubbers like H3 Neo, 729 Battle 2(better).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 05:02 

I could adjust if I need to, I just want something that would be good for learning. Maybe I should just go with the Mark V.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 05:08 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
atti wrote:
Ok so i think ill stick with something that has a similar hardness to the Rhyzm 425, would the h3 neo be too soft? What are some cheap rubbers that would be good for developing technic?

H3 Neo can never be too soft compared to Rhyzm 425. The H3 Neo's hardness would be about 46-50 degrees in ESN scale, I imagine, which is much harder than 42.5.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 05:14 

I think I prefer softer rubbers but I would get something harder if it would help me improve. I'm just afraid if I get the wrong stuff it could give me bad habits. Ive been looking into this for too long may just get the TUTTLE Beijing IV since its cheap and seems good.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 05:22 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
atti wrote:
I think I prefer softer rubbers but I would get something harder if it would help me improve. I'm just afraid if I get the wrong stuff it could give me bad habits. Ive been looking into this for too long may just get the TUTTLE Beijing IV since its cheap and seems good.

Just out of curiosity - what makes you think TUTTLE Beijing IV isn't "the wrong stuff"?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 05:30 

ziv wrote:
atti wrote:

Just out of curiosity - what makes you think TUTTLE Beijing IV isn't "the wrong stuff"?

It just seems like it wont be too different than what I already have.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 06:54 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
To be honest I am at a complete loss as to why you're changing in the first place. From everything you have said you like:

- hard rubbers
- good quality rubbers
- rubbers that won't hold you back with technique

You've also conveyed a general sense of mistrust and uncertainty about change, with a fear of making the wrong decision.

What you already have is all of the above. Sure if it's damaged or old, replace it. But unless you have a compelling reason to change it (eg it's not made any more, you've been explicitly advised against it by your coach, you can't get it easily, you can't afford it any more etc), I'm not sure why you'd bother.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 08:26 

LordCope wrote:
To be honest I am at a complete loss as to why you're changing in the first place. From everything you have said you like:

- hard rubbers
- good quality rubbers
- rubbers that won't hold you back with technique

You've also conveyed a general sense of mistrust and uncertainty about change, with a fear of making the wrong decision.

What you already have is all of the above. Sure if it's damaged or old, replace it. But unless you have a compelling reason to change it (eg it's not made any more, you've been explicitly advised against it by your coach, you can't get it easily, you can't afford it any more etc), I'm not sure why you'd bother.

The reason I’m changing is the rubber is very old, I don’t want to the same rubber because
1. I want to try different rubber
2. It’s expensive
3. I feel like it’s a little too fast but I may be wrong

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2019, 15:21 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Joola Rhzym 425 is one of the fastest and spinniest and most sensitive rubbers I have tried so far to date. Faster rubber would be Tenergy or BlueFire or Rasant / er series ....

I don't see why you would move away from a rubber combo that seems to be working out well for you.

Tacky rubbers would force you to re-learn techniques that would normally work on the Rhyzm ... and you won't be able to play certain strokes and techniques that would work on the Rhyzm .... simply because either the different/new rubber is physically demanding beyond limits of the player or the equipment ....

Other Euro rubbers won't be similar enough to the Rhyzm to warrant getting similar priced rubbers ... so why change to a different rubber at all ?

I would suggest getting coaching to overcome the problem, spend the same cash on new sheets, adapt your game to slow-down and gradually speed up to match skill/game-level to the rubber speed.

I have not found any fault with Joola Rhyzm 425 to this day, only Tenergy might be better rubber.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7