OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 09:47 

I know that stamping ones foot while serving is fairly common. I was told that players did it to stop the receiver reading the spin of the serve based on the sound of the ball hitting the rubber. This always seemed wrong to me, how is it any different from hiding the serve behind your body or the arm? Anyway, I sometimes find it just a little annoying not so much from the noise point of view, but sometimes the stomp is so hard that it shakes the net, making me think for a split second that the serve is a let, and thus distrct me from making a good return.

I wonder - what is to stop me as a receiver, from stomping my own foot just as or before the server serves???!!!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 10:01 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
I also wonder what could stop you from yelling "Chole!" just as the server serves. Imagine that would distract them quite a bit.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 10:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The foot stomp thing was from back before the two color rule. You could have long pips on one side and inverted on the other, and both of them black. And you could serve with either side. Problem was, they SOUNDED quite different. Can't say I've seen people do it deliberately any more, since you can tell which side is which based on the color.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 11:38 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Foot stomping is not strictly illegal per se. However you can argue that it is in the realms of ungentlemanly conduct and if you are put off by it - the sound, the vibration or whatever - you should complain. Even more if it is not a natural part of the serve action.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 14:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I remember one year international umpires started warning players and calling lets when they stamped. Someone (might've been Tim Boggan) complaining about it (the umpires penalizing players that is, not the stomping) in Table Tennis Topics. Can't remember if this was before or after the two color rule. With the rubber matting they use for these days for international events, I doubt you could make that loud of a noise anymore anyway..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 02:35 

I learned to play in Germany in the 1970s, where players routinely stomped during a serve. I stomp, not to gain advantage, but because I do. It's a normal--and ubiquitous--part of the game.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 03:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Sometimes the floor is plywood and stomping shakes the table some. In those cases I am asking for an umpire if it is a tournament.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 05:57 

Blade: Stiga Defensive Classic
FH: Victas V>15 Extra 2.0
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5
Personally I probably stomp a little, but my intention has absolutely nothing to do with hiding the spin or distracting my opponent. It is merely part of my serve mechanic, shifting body weight and jumping into ready position. I understand some players really do stomp super loud, and it seems sometimes like it is to be distracting on purpose, I found this video of Ma Long doing what i think is a totally reasonable serve with a clear foot stomp. Again i think it it just part of good technique and weight transfer