OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 16:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:06 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
darucla wrote:
I've been hearing Gollum for all of Igor's posts, certainly since he started using "precious" regularly. I am more and more convinced that it's a bot.

No, he's not a bot. He posts (in a very similar manner) on Russian TT forums as well.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:07 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
pgpg wrote:
darucla wrote:
I've been hearing Gollum for all of Igor's posts, certainly since he started using "precious" regularly. I am more and more convinced that it's a bot.

No, he's not a bot. He posts (in a very similar manner) on Russian TT forums as well.

Might be a bilingual bot...

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:14 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Back on topic (not that I mind the diversions) I really don't mind the Joola Primes. Consistently round and durable, although as noted less spin than the seamless. They are a decent ball (of the type).

EDIT: I also don't think the Flash ball is too bad for seamless; better QC than XSF

185g

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 03:18 
Super User

darucla wrote:

Its a drunk biterman that is sad because chinese kill rusians players like bugs .he hates chinese and love japanese or any that can win the chinese

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 10:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

pgpg wrote:
darucla wrote:

I wonder if he's got the same reputation there as he has here. Come to think of it.. I wonder if LOTR has made it to Russia, or if most Russians know who Gollum was.

"Hi, all precious Playmates of mine
Hereby please be informed that I'm a mighty Boy, I would use a meager sponge of 1.2mm and it would enable me to destroy those "novelty" ABS sphere easely. Again, those ivory-hard ABS spheres would give a nasty stony feeling to my fist at most strokes."

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 00:32 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
The Return of the King took $12M in Russia and $14M in Russia CIS. Exactly what the difference is, I can't tell you off the top of my head. So, definitely know there.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 00:37 
Super User

darucla wrote:
The Return of the King took $12M in Russia and $14M in Russia CIS. Exactly what the difference is, I can't tell you off the top of my head. So, definitely know there.

Long before the movie, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit had been translated into Russian. So yes, I'd imagine most of Russians would know who Gollum is.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 00:59 
Super User

ziv wrote:
darucla wrote:

Long before the movie, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit had been translated into Russian. So yes, I'd imagine most of Russians would know who Gollum is.

Absolutely. But the sound of Gollum is definitely from Andy Serkis in the films.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 01:32 
Super User

darucla wrote:
ziv wrote:
darucla wrote:

Absolutely. But the sound of Gollum is definitely from Andy Serkis in the films.

For Russian spectators that wouldn't be Andy but a Russian actor instead, since movies in the cinemas are shown with audio dubbed so that all characters speak Russian (which sucks in my opinion).

PS: This is what Russian Gollum sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glmwf_yY-_U

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 02:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The Russian Gollum/Sméagol doesn't sound too bad. Serkis was better, of course.

I wonder what he sounds like in Chinese.. :lol: Actually I wonder if it was EVER released in Mainland China. Or dubbed into Mandarin/Cantonese/Hokkien/etc.

One of the funnier stories I've come across was what happened in China with the Harry Potter books. If you recall there was one or two years when Rowling ended up getting writer's block and there wasn't a novel. Well, in China, there's a HUGE industry of online books, not to mention cheaply printed (and pirated) translated books. So when the Harry Potter books stopped for a while, people took it upon themselves to write some. There was a certain volume called (IIRC) "Harry Potter and Walks-up-to-Dragon". The way it was described in the New York Times (I think it was), Harry Potter got turned into a midget and went on an adventure. A few months after I read that, I came across, on a mailing list, about what the book actually was (posted by a girl who could read Chinese and who had read Tolkien. The first couple pages (essentially, Harry Potter waking up with a headache) was new, but everything after that was a translation of The Hobbit. I suppose the "walks-up-to-dragon" part refers to the Lonely Mountain and Smaug... :lol:

Oh... a few minutes later, a little digging around..

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/worl ... china.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/10/opin ... tter1.html

"Harry becomes a fat, hairy dwarf after being caught in a “sour and sweet rain”; he loses all his magic and can get it back only by obtaining the magic ring. After he does, Harry becomes a dragon that fights evil. Voldemort has an even more powerful brother who makes trouble for Harry.

Excerpt: Harry doesn’t know how long it will take to wash the sticky cake off his face. For a civilized young man, it is disgusting to have dirt on any part of his body. He lies in the elegant bathtub, keeps wiping his face, and thinks about Dudley’s face, which is as fat as Aunt Petunia’s bottom."

A more extensive translation:

http://www.young-0.com/excerpt

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh the stuff we get into on this forum... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 08:26 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:

I wonder what he sounds like in Chinese.. :lol: Actually I wonder if it was EVER released in Mainland China. Or dubbed into Mandarin/Cantonese/Hokkien/etc.

ROTK $10M in China

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2019, 02:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Somehow, though.. $10M isn't much in a country of a population of over 1 billion.. :lol:

But I'll bet there were pirated VCDs everywhere.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2019, 03:03 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
LOOPOVER wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
Problem is you'd have to convince THAT MAN.. :lol: He's not known for deep reflection, after all. (I don't think this is strictly true, either - think of how many tennis rackets, baseball bats, football pads, running shoes, athletic cups, bicycles, cycling helmets, ice skates, hockey sticks, basketballs, shin guards, weightlifting sets people in the US buy every year.. Think if all this stuff was made in the US rather than being imported from China. And that's just sport equipment. Leisure products would have to include things like big screen TVs, lounge chairs, quad copters, video game consoles, personal toys... it's a lot more stuff than you'd think.. :lol: )

Yeah, table tennis is a tiny, tiny, tiny part of it all, balls being an even tinier part of that. Table tennis was always a penny ante sport. But when the tariffs go up they will go up. And the DHS balls and cheap tennis balls will cost as much as the Nittaku ones, because they're made in China.

Iskandar

Leisure products manufacturers are highly sensitive to the economy, going out of business. Once out of business not an easy turn around to start again. Tariffs on leisure products will definitely cause inflation.

One product to put USA tariffs, basketball shoes, which are very profitable. That would get a lot of media attention, and from the big name brands manufacturers.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2019, 03:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It might sound callous, but since profit margins are so high on basketball shoes, the importers could well afford to absorb the tariffs. It's the low ticket items that will see consumer prices rise.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 03:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Incidentally... there WAS a Soviet version of Lord of the Rings. Excerpts of it towards the end of this video.

50 minutes worth of it here:

The One Ring looks really cheesy. Cyrillic writing and all.

So now we know what Igor sounds like in real life.. :lol:

Iskandar