OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2019, 00:22 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
Thank you very much for your rating. The summary chart will be update this week.

Please continue to send your rating. More we have, more accurate it will become .

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019, 13:59 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
My impressions of Spinlord ORKan 1.5 mm on a Donic Defplay Senso

1 Speed 5.5
2 Control 9
3 Short game 7
4 Long game 7
5 Own underspin 8
6 Own topspin 7
7 Reversal 6.5
8 Disruption 6.5
9 Block 9
10 Attack 6
11 Defense 8.5
12 Flat hit 6
13 Float 9
14 Knuckle ball 8
15 Push 7
16 Classic Chop 8
17 Throw Angle Medium

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 01:48 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
I'm not quite ready to rate these yet, as I have not had enough time to completely evaluate all of them yet, but I can share some thoughts on them and how they compare to each other. I've been using Keiler for a number of years after using long pips for an even longer period of time. I like to attack topspin with my pips, and this colors my perception of some of these, which are meant more for a blocking game. I'm a mid level player, my USATT rating tends to float between 1800 and 1900, just to give you an idea of how well I play.

I've been using Keiler for 5 years or more, until 2018 when for some reason they made a change to the sponge. It is now a dark orange sponge sourced from China(?) which lacks the dynamic play that the earlier yellow/orange sponge possessed. So the hunt is on for a new medium pip to replace Keiler, one other option is to buy the topsheet and add my own sponge, depending on what substitutes I find in my search.

I tested Power Pipes last night for about 3 hours. Not enough time to give a full review, but enough to know I want to give them another go next week. I have also tested Do Knuckle and Super Do Knuckle, along with Orkan II recently.

I like the Power Pipes best of the 4, I'm able to counter hit against a short pip hitter, block and counter against a 2 winged looper. The short blocks were especially effective against the looper. In particular the counter hit against topspin is much better and easier to do than with Orkan II or Super Do Knuckle (with these 2 rubber sheets I found just punch blocking or soft blocking worked better). I need to play with more players to see how it fares against different styles, but this is by far the best I've used since adopting Keiler about 5 years ago.

What I had trouble with was heavy pushes, I need to work out the proper racket angles for pushing, and found it much easier to just hit or flip these balls. I'll try them out some more next week and see if I can solve the issue with heavy pushes.

Do Knuckle would be my second choice and a very close second place finish, with Super Do Knuckle and Orkan II being harder to play with and control - for my style and strokes - they finished last. I probably could adapt and use any of these given some time.

Moving into 3rd place is Elfrark, it is slower than Power Pipes and Do Knuckle, although faster than PimpleMini. More reactive to spin than the other rubbers also. Chopping is a lot like Feint II, requiring you to build up your spin over successive chops.

All tests with 1.4.- 1.8 mm sponges in Red, on Xiom Hayabusa Z blades.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 01:52 
Super User

A little more info:

Spin on Serves: Elfrark>Do Knuckle=Power Pipes>Keiler>Super Do Knuckle=Orkan II
Ability to serve short: None of these is particularly spinny compared to Inverted, so short serves are limited to keeping things low to make them harder to attack.
Looping: These rubbers are limited to utilizing the spin on the ball, so are dependent on your opponent to pull off this stroke, basically a fake loop.
Flat Hitting: Power Pipes>Do Knuckle=Keiler>Elfrark>Super Do Knuckle=Orkan II The limit is when hitting top spin counters for the last 2 finishers.
Pushing Control: Power Pipes>Do Knuckle>Keiler>Super Do Knuckle=Orkan II>Elfrark Elfrark reacts more to the incoming spin than the other pips.
Pushing Spin: Elfrark>>Do Knuckle>Keiler>Power Pipes=Super Do Knuckle=Orkan II Elfrark is the only one that seems to have the grip for this stroke, testing still in progress.
Open against backspin: All of these seem to be able to open successfully, although the techniques required may be different.
Top speed: Power Pipes>>Do Knuckle=Keiler>Orkan II>Super Do Knuckle>>Elfrark This is somewhat dependent on the spin on the incoming shot, some of these are about useless against topspin balls except to block, but can attack chop or no spin easily.
Blocking: With Power pipes at the top of the list and Elfrark at the bottom, the rest cluster in the middle depending on what the incoming spin is and the type of block you attempt. Power Pipes seems to be the easiest to use/most effective for me, and Elfrark was the least effective and hardest to handle blocking at the table.
Throw: Low for the most part, except for Elfrark of course. I didn't notice any particular tendency to pip up shots, except as noted. Elfrark does react more to spin than the others.

Summary: The current frontrunner is Power Pipes, followed by Do Knuckle. They are competing with Keiler for a place on my rackets. Super Do Knuckle and Orkan II are back in the box of unused rubber gathering dust, their inability to attack topspin limited their usefulness for me. Elfrark has moved to a Kris II (blasa) blade for further testing.

There are a couple of other things I would like to try, Aggressor and Explosive sound interesting, oh and Power Pipes in a 1.5 or so sponge. There are also some new long pips that might work for me. The EJ bug is strong this year!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 02:37 
Super User

Good info. Thanks.

One caracteristic that often is not considered is the pips alignment. Pp are vertically aligned. So spin are a lot invlove when the pips are in the same direction of the ball. So if you hit, chop, push with the ball perpenticulary to the ball flight, you hit a row of pips ( perpendiculary)so the ball get stopped more by the pips and you get a float ball ( no reversal).if the ball goes in the same direction of the pips alignment you tend to have more reversal. ( ball rotation parallel to the pips and are less stop by the pips.)

Try this with pips verticaly oriented like pp or agressor) Try to chop, push, conter with the tip of the blade pointing toward the side of the wall. Then try the same shot with the tip of the bat pointing toward the floor ( for underspin reversal) and toward the ceiling ( for topspin reversal ) and come back to me and tell me your result. I also create more topspin against short low underspin with pointing the bat toward the floor and do a hit. ( Call it a punch)

For agressor, it is a more disturbed rubber. I had it for about 1 month. Then the control of pp is better and switchedm You won a lot of point with its reversal hit thaT fly fast. You play counter and after 2 exchanges the ball turn into a backspin ball but you can't really see that and the opponant send it into the net. I will try it again when i will play a more lp game. Against fast experience looper pp is into business. I change the way i counter ( like he zhou jia) with the pp. I want to try to hit like that with agressor. Finally i will try ox pp to see the addition of disturbance effect vs the lost of control.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 03:04 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Having also decided to abandon Keiler and having found Orkan a bit slow and difficult to counter hit/drive with topspin (vertical pips), I am currently trying Dawei 388C1 (HZ pips) with promising results for a control orientated MP. Will submit a review in a week or two. Power Pipes in 1.5mm is however giving me the itch to get out the credit card!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 05:59 
Super User

maddrag wrote:
Good info. Thanks.

One caracteristic that often is not considered is the pips alignment. Pp are vertically aligned. So spin are a lot invlove when the pips are in the same direction of the ball. So if you hit, chop, push with the ball perpenticulary to the ball flight, you hit a row of pips ( perpendiculary)so the ball get stopped more by the pips and you get a float ball ( no reversal).if the ball goes in the same direction of the pips alignment you tend to have more reversal. ( ball rotation parallel to the pips and are less stop by the pips.)

Try this with pips verticaly oriented like pp or agressor) Try to chop, push, conter with the tip of the blade pointing toward the side of the wall. Then try the same shot with the tip of the bat pointing toward the floor ( for underspin reversal) and toward the ceiling ( for topspin reversal ) and come back to me and tell me your result. I also create more topspin against short low underspin with pointing the bat toward the floor and do a hit. ( Call it a punch)

Exactly why I purchased both the Do Knuckle and Super Do Knuckle, they have the different orientation of the pips. Do Knuckle pips run the same direction as Power Pips, so play similarly, and were easy for me to use as soon as I put them on the blade. Super Do Knuckle have the opposite orientation, and while I could learn to adapt to them, it seems like more trouble than it is worth. I'm not in the mood to adjust my technique at the moment. But it does demonstrate what you are talking about very well. Thanks

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 23:39 
Super User

Do both Power Pipes and Do Knuckle have vertical pips?

What orientation are the pips on Explosion? I find it hard to counter hit or attack with Topspin with vertical pips like Spectol or Orkan

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 00:12 
Super User

ChasFox wrote:
Do both Power Pipes and Do Knuckle have vertical pips?

What orientation are the pips on Explosion? I find it hard to counter hit or attack with Topspin with vertical pips like Spectol or Orkan

Looks like all of them are Vertical alignment. I also find Orkan hard to hit or attack topspin with, but the same is true for me with some horizontal sheets like Super Do Knuckle. I find the Do Knuckle much easier to use along with the Power Pipes.

It probably depends to some degree on the properties of the rubber sheet in addition to the alignment of the pips and with our strokes. I don't find Spectol hard to attack topspin with, but none of these rubbers are going to win a spin battle with inverted players. Even Spectol isn't meant to over power topspin players, even though it probably produces more spin than most of these mentioned and it isn't really that spinny although it can produce enough spin to attack when needed. The characteristics of Explosion I can't speak to, since mine won't arrive until probably tomorrow.

You can do a Google search for the rubber sheets and look at Images to see the alignment of the different pips. It only recently started showing pictures of Explosion (other than the package it comes in). I have been using Keiler (horizontal) and had no issues using Power Pipes (Vertical) or Do Knuckle (Vertical) pretty much using the same game plan and techniques as with Keiler. I had more issues using Super Do Knuckle (horizontal) and Orkan II (Vertical), attacking topspin with these was next to impossible with my current strokes. I'm not sure what that should tell us?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 00:38 
Super User

the alignment of pips is not the primary concern on how to play the pips. It is a variable that come far from the caracteristics of the pips, the thickness of the sponge, the blade,... It did make a small difference on the reaction of the ball on the pips. I think more stronger is the ball coming to you, speed and spin can start to make a difference.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 03:12 
Super User

Thanks Dennis

If you found PP and Do Knuckle somewhat similar to keiler they are probably where I need to start.

The shape of the Pip is perhaps more significant than the alignment, conical pips being better at imparting spin, cylindrical pips like on Orkan being more disruptive.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 04:23 
Super User

ChasFox wrote:
Thanks Dennis

If you found PP and Do Knuckle somewhat similar to keiler they are probably where I need to start.

The shape of the Pip is perhaps more significant than the alignment, conical pips being better at imparting spin, cylindrical pips like on Orkan being more disruptive.

That is one more factor to consider, and what originally drew me to Keiler. Now I'm finding that some other medium pips do work for me depending on the overall characteristics even if the pips aren't conical. Over the next 2 weeks I expect to be testing Power Pipes and Explosion (both in 1.5 mm, red), which should compare nicely to my Do Knuckle 1.4 mm, red.

There are so many different variables to consider, pip length, pip size, rubber formula, pip shape, pip density, the technique you use, how hard you contact the ball, what type of blade is used is another thing to consider, and the list goes on and on. It's hard to know without trying out different things, and even 2 things you think should be similar (Do Knuckle and Super Do Knuckle) may play very differently.

I'm looking for something, coming from Keiler, where I don't have to radically alter what I have been doing. So, I'm still searching, I have a couple of new things to play with this week and the next one, should be fun.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 05:23 
Super User

One thing also is being done with some players. They play a different racket depending of the opponent.

Against defenders of my clubs, I get my old TSP P& H LP and put it on my backhand. I keep the same inverted rubber for my FH. It gives me pushes that are impossible almost to push outside the table. Good control attack against his shop. So I play FH then BH then forehand, place the ball etc. I never loose against them with this racket. If I play the PP I often send my ball outside. Too fast. Practice will help but until that I used MY P&H.

Agaisnt fast looper I go with the PP. Block, counter fast. I can't push really or a fast one few time. My P&H set up is too slow and got kill by those looper.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 16:57 
Super User

Dr Neubaer on his web site talks about using two bats, one slower more disruptive one for use against attacking players and a faster one for use against slower players where he needs to attack.
I have found switching from MP to a fast spinny SP on by BH useful in the same situation as MPs need to have some pace to work best.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 05:00 

Blade: Neub. Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1 2.0
BH: Dr Neub Desperado OX
Other review or numbers in the medium list after playing a whole lot more with the 2 sheets of Aggressor: Aggressor 1.5 and Aggressor Pro 1.5

Dr Neubauer Aggressor 1.5

1-Speed : 7.5
2-Control: 8.5
3-short game: 7.5
4-long game: 8.5
5-own underspin: 5.5
6-own topspin: 6.5
7-reversal: 6.5 horizontal chop or 9 vertical ripchop
8-disruption: 9
9-block : passive 6 active 8.5 if you have the right angle
10-attack: 8
11-defense: 8.5
10-flat hit: 8
11-float: 9
12-knuckle ball : 6.5
13-push: 7
14-classic chop : 7.5
15-trow angle low or very low

Dr Neubauer Aggressor PRO 1.5

1-Speed : 8.5
2-Control: 7.5
3-short game: 8.5
4-long game: 7.5
5-own underspin: 7
6-own topspin: 7.5
7-reversal: 5.5 horizontal chop or 8 vertical ripchop
8-disruption: 8
9-block : passive 7 active 9 if you have the right angle
10-attack: 8.5
11-defense: 7
10-flat hit: 9
11-float: 6.5
12-knuckle ball : 7
13-push: 8
14-classic chop : 7
15-trow angle low - medium

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next