OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2019, 13:26 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

Hi Everyone!

So I have submitted your questions, and sat down with Min to get (what I think are) some really insightful and unexpected answers. Min is Australia's strongest player for the last 2 years, now starting to represent internationally and compete at a level rarely seen with LP, in particular in Australia!

She is happy to answer follow ups as time allows, please just give us a little bit of time to respond as I work with her on the English translation piece.

INTERVIEW with Min Hyung Jee (AUS)

What equipment do you currently use?
I use Tibhar MX-P on my inverted, I use TSP Curl P1-R in OX, and my Blade is TSP Hinocarbon.

Why do you use pimples and what made you decide to use them?
I started playing when I Was 10 years old - and I was trained to use normal on both sides. I had problems with receiving serve initially, and my backhand technique was not very good. My coach recommended that I change to long pimple, no sponge, so I started to learn that from age 11.

Have you used or tried any other pimple rubbers? and only in OX?
I have tried other ones in practice- I was trying to use Grass D-tecs for a while, but this was previously when the ball was smaller. Back then, spin reversal was stronger, and Grass has much better reversal and attacking capability - but with the new ball, stability is very important as I really need to have strong control to stay in the point with less spin. Consequently, I have only ever played tournaments with Curl P-1R.

You first came to Australia for the Bennelong cup - why did you end up choosing Australia, and why Queensland?
When I came for the Bennelong cup - we as a team actually got very little experience with Australia - no time to holiday, only competition. So that was not really relevant to my decision. My original plan coming to Australia was to actually take a break from Table Tennis as it had been my whole life for a very long time. So, myself and my Husband were interested in studying English - and having a working holiday. We chose QLD because there were lots of working holiday opportunities. After some time in Australia, it helped me realize and rediscover my love for table tennis and its community.

Do you ever serve with your pimples and why?
I do - but not particularly often. I use it as a variation to try to surprise my opponent. I will generally try to serve it as short as possible to cause doubt.

Why do you use pimples without sponge?
My coach told me to! I have tried using sponge, but I don't really like it. It's a bit too fast for me with the way that I play and because it's faster, sponged LP affects my recovery time as I am a forehand oriented player.

Do you mainly use the pips to set up an attack for your smooth rubber - or do you attack with your pips as well?
I try to do both - as for more one or the other, it depends on my opponent and their skills against pimple.

Who is your TT Hero?
Mima Ito! I like her game - but I like most how she will try to vary the game and change while she is playing depending on what her opponent is doing. Her ability to adapt is admirable. When I was younger and in training - I would make an effort to watch Ai Fukuhara because even though she uses short pimples, she plays similarly to me in that she uses them to set up a strong forehand where possible.

What do you do for your regular training sessions?
I try to focus mostly on footwork drills, concentrating on forehand and pivot, as my forehand is my weapon but also is less consistent than my backhand (smooth or pimple) so it requires more regular training for me to feel comfortable. Even though while in matches I use my backhand 70% of the time - I don't train it as often because it feels more natural to me.

Do the color of pimples matter to you? I notice you use black.
No, they make no difference to me. it just depends on what I get at the time, and with my forehand rubber.

Here is the video of the Australian National Championship 2019 final (click on it to start), her match starts at around 15.00. It's a Facebook video, so i hope everyone can see it.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2019, 14:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great Interview, thanks Min and SuperHappyFunSlider!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 11:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

A couple of further questions :oops:

1. Does she glue/reglue her own bat? If so, the Curl P-1r has quite a strong glue sheet, how does she remove it from the blade?

2. In counter-hitting ralleys, at times it seems she often twiddles every point. Is that done just to confuse the opponent, or do you expect a ball you can attack after you play a shot with the pimples?

3. Do you only attack with the pimples when there's backspin on the ball?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 19:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm surprised there hasn't been more interested or discussion on this interview! :o Perhaps you've all read it, and there's nothing more to be asked?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 22:45 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
How has the ABS ball affected your game? Do you find it harder to generate enough underspin on blocks to prevent kill shots? Do you feel like your playing level has been affected? How have you adapted, and have you changed your approach or strategy at all?

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 03:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
Here is the video of the Australian National Championship 2019 final (click on it to start), her match starts at around 15.00. It's a Facebook video, so i hope everyone can see it.

Watch her opponent. It took me a while to notice but she twiddles. She plays penhold with two sheets of rubber but doesn't use the reverse side. The black sheet is inverted, she serves with it but rarely uses it otherwise. Once in a while she'll attack with it on the forehand side. The red side appears to be short pips, she attacks over the table with it, and uses it maybe 97% of the time other than serving.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 06:02 
Super User

I think Jian actually uses long not short pips? :?:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 10:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Whatever she uses, she's constantly attacking with it. Not just blocking.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 22:03 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
It would be more useful to watch video of her playing a conventional player with smooth rubber.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions