OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 05:46 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
wilkinru wrote:
The concept in LTT117 has given me a new level of consistency in my forehand loop vs backspin. I think against block/top spin I was already doing this somewhat so it harder to tell. Against backspin it's more obvious because typically one has more time. Once you accept the pain required to do LTT117 then the stroke itself can become more automatic. I'm even getting better at the next ball because I get my forehand in so often.

However post camp there has been one thing earning me more points than anything else: returning short. NL mentioned once about returning long serves with two bounces. Sometimes I can make this happen but at the 1400-1700 level one doesn't need to even do that. It just needs to be half long but with good backspin. There have been serves I have returned with 3 bounces in actual rated matches. These have been huge point earners. I see far far too many long serves to really commit to returning short backspin balls but learning the concept of 3 bounces and having 'touch' can really can make a huge difference in the score lines.

I have put blood sweat and tears into TT the last few months and honestly this backspin touch yields the most. So balance out the 200 pound gorilla forehands with some touch too!

I agree with all of the above and I got into this at about the 1700 level. I don't think I said returning long serves with 2 bounces but if I did, what I really meant is that you can push a half long or long serve without the intent of making the ball go out to the opponent and if the ball stays fairly low and they are not used to timing it, they will struggle to attack it and will miss or give you the ball back with a push. Looping a push that comes out of the table is very different from looping one that is decelerating significantly and if someone loves to wind up and take big swings at the ball, just being subtle about your pushes can mess up their timing. For example pushing underneath the ball can have a very different effect from pushing behind the ball or hacking across the ball. While you shouldn't rely on pushing long, you should learn to give your opponents balls that don't say " hit me!" When playing the guys who will kill anything that comes long, varying the depth and speed of your pushes is an underrated skill, even if you can't keep the ball very short as it takes higher level players to tell when a ball is long and loose when it isn't obvious.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 06:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

You might have said or meant longer serves, or half long serves in context. The point is exactly what you said. Yeah the guys who are 1600-1700s tend to attack when they can and touch can really mess them up. I've yet to really give a 1800+ of that style a lot of trouble in general but the score line sure improves when they mess up a few attacks.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 00:12 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
This is the first video I share with the forum. Sorry for the weird format but I had to screen record a youtube live stream playing in the browser - wasn't able to find any other way to download a live stream starting with a negative time offset (i.e. -10 hours from now). I'm also not a fan of the camera position (too high) but it is what it is.
This is a casual match at the club yesterday, I'm playing a solid 1800-1900 guy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GvApdwsPmneVfBsJ6

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 00:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
This is the first video I share with the forum. Sorry for the weird format but I had to screen record a youtube live stream playing in the browser - wasn't able to find any other way to download a live stream starting with a negative time offset (i.e. -10 hours from now). I'm also not a fan of the camera position (too high) but it is what it is.
This is a casual match at the club yesterday, I'm playing a solid 1800-1900 guy.

Wow, 3-0 vs Federico is a great win. He has been playing forever and is really tricky.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 04:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:

I have been happy just a few times this week. I was happy when G.Sathiyan beat Arinobu and when Desai beat Skachkov in Czech.

Tonight, to my surprise, I felt happy once again when I saw Igor consistently drilling backhands at Federico down there in FLL. Oh, and also those left knee twist forehands at 09:39 where delightful. You should use your forehand more because it's there.

Where did the backhand loop come from Igor?

Last edited by Brett Clarke on 28 Aug 2019, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 04:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

freakinjstu wrote:
It's been a year for me now on TTEdge and thanks to you guys I've moved out of the beginner divisions :) I'm playing more experienced players now - but they are crushing me -I guess that's part of the deal. Here's an average match where I did not play badly but had no chance:

I believe my slow, plodding feet are my #1 issue and I'm committed to working on that ever day.

Any advice for my #2 area of focus?

PS: A local coach told me after watching this match, "You don't have to loop every push to your backhand. He's just sitting there waiting to jump on it. You can mix in some return pushes too". I guess this makes sense, but it goes against the "serve and third ball attack every time if possible" mentality that I've heard so much. Any opinions?

Thanks so much for posting freakinjstu. Sorry for the late response, but I've been flying and driving a very serious amount. I actually watched your match 5 days ago.

You have definitely improved and I like the way you are trying to take the initiative early in the points. Just because you miss a few backhands, it doesn't mean you stop looping when you are presented with opportunities. That's how you get better.

I think NextLevel mentioned that you could use your body even better on your bh and fh opening loops. I totally agree with this, however, I know it's a slow process and maybe you currently use more body in training. Just keep working towards deeper movements. I like the way you are stepping down into your serves. I'm going to make a video about stepping down on serves...at some stage.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 04:41 
Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
ziv wrote:

I have been happy just a few times this week. I was happy when G.Sathiyan beat Arinobu and when Desai beat Skachkov in Czech.

Tonight, to my surprise, I felt happy once again when I saw Igor consistently drilling backhands at Federico down there in FLL. Oh, and also those left knee twist forehands at 09:39 where delightful. You should use your forehand more because it's there.

Thank you, Brett, this really means a lot to me!

I guess I've been paying attention to implementing the LTT98 contents recently, and I'm happy that you think it's paying off.

Brett Clarke wrote:

Do you think it's a loop? I've always thought of my BH as a flat hit.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 05:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Watch LTT98 and then watch Igor Nadal

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 05:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
ziv wrote:

Thank you, Brett, this really means a lot to me!

I guess I've been paying attention to implementing the LTT98 contents recently, and I'm happy that you think it's paying off.

Brett Clarke wrote:

Do you think it's a loop? I've always thought of my BH as a flat hit.

Most are flat hits. I did see a few that I'm calling loops...at 1am.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 05:19 
Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Watch LTT98 and then watch Igor Nadal

Sorry, couldn't help it.
PS I missed that shot, btw.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 01:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:

Awesome! I have a theory that TTedge leans towards beating this style of player with the current content.

Things this random 1600-2000 rated player will do:
Serve too long but without purpose.
Plays 'slower'.
Pushes a fair amount.
Cannot block loops very well.
Returns serve passive.

I felt like all of them were in play and you won. Winning doesn't always happen for me against these types still but I sure go in with confidence against them. Do you feel the same, Nada...err Igor?

EDIT: I want to say...it's hard work to get to that point. The camp and the reps, all of that has to happen in order to start beating these types.

Also somehow the video ended up being pretty good quality.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 13:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Some interesting spectators in the background :)

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 16:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:

I find it amazing that there aren't more.

If given a choice, I'd rather watch players train than watch matches. I especially like watching players who have already lost in the event because you get to see what they are working on. The training/playing ratio of a player is above 99:1, so which is more interesting?

I actually left the Boll vs Lee Sangsu match to watch this Harimoto session.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 16:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

If given a choice, I'd rather watch players train than watch matches. I especially like watching players who have already lost in the event because you get to see what they are working on. The training/playing ratio of a player is above 99:1, so which is more interesting?

Can spectators enter the training hall? I guess everybody else are just busy working their butts off. I remember there was a video with Calderano training, where Wang Hao and FZD watched his session closely. And the next night FZD lost to Hugo.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 16:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Can spectators enter the training hall? I guess everybody else are just busy working their butts off. I remember there was a video with Calderano training, where Wang Hao and FZD watched his session closely. And the next night FZD lost to Hugo.

No, spectators can't enter the hall. I was talking about other coaches etc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407 ... 568  Next