OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 23:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT118 is now available on ttEDGE.com

Yep, it's similar to some of the other videos, but I'm still happy with it. I'm not sure if it helps you to beat guys who just play aimlessly? I'm still picking away at some backhand content and I have a very long list of future topics, which even surprises me.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 01:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:

Yep, it's similar to some of the other videos, but I'm still happy with it. I'm not sure if it helps you to beat guys who just play aimlessly? I'm still picking away at some backhand content and I have a very long list of future topics, which even surprises me.

I think there is some danger in overanalyzing shots performed under match pressure lol.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 02:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I think there is some danger in overanalyzing shots performed under match pressure lol.

Sure, I agree.

Let's just pretend William was still playing. I'd get him to work on this stuff in training and at least make him aware of what it all means. You'd be very surprised at who doesn't understand what. There isn't a very close correlation between rating and understanding, to say the least. I discuss this type of stuff with players who play significantly higher than 1700. LTT118 has no boundaries.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 02:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

I don't think saying the same or similar things a few different ways is bad. In fact I feel like the series has progressed into better editions of similar content.

It's getting close to needing skill level numbers added to it or perhaps a flow chart on where to start and what next to watch. Start with LTT7 then look at LTT97 and then LTT118 for further information, etc.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 02:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

On the first forehand counter, Henzel is able to read where the ball is going and on the second one he pretty much has no idea. I'm not sure how I would coach that. I would probably try to take a step back if I see a flick coming. Or just train to read flicks better?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 02:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

On the form-follows-function continuum, is there a space for an arm-only FH counterloop?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 03:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

On the first forehand counter, Henzel is able to read where the ball is going and on the second one he pretty much has no idea. I'm not sure how I would coach that. I would probably try to take a step back if I see a flick coming. Or just train to read flicks better?

He made that same mistake 100K times. He would do it in training as well.

Top players can take the ball straight off the bounce, or at the top of the bounce, or well after the ball has dropped. It's all okay.

What you can't do is stick your butt out and reach for the ball every match. There are certain parts of a base shot that aren't negotiable. LTT118 is a lesson on how to practice and it's not an attempt to correct a ghost's shot from one ancient point.

There are situations where you won't have enough time to do the "right" things. You just need to know what is right so you can practice it. Sometimes people tell me they don't have time to turn correctly and they have half a point. You need to learn how to turn correctly at high speed. The first time someone bends their left knee correctly, they may not have time for the second ball.

Last edited by Brett Clarke on 31 Aug 2019, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 03:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
On the form-follows-function continuum, is there a space for an arm-only FH counterloop?

Is there space for a body only FH counterloop?...is my counter question

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 03:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've seen top pros hitting the ball to all the "wrong" spots, imo. For example, they just hit way too many balls across court and not enough into the body and down the line. I've spent a lot of time advocating against this type of play predictable play over the years. I've made videos about it.

The problem is, they are hitting the ball so well/sharp that they are winning a lot of points going to the "wrong" spots. I've been thinking about this a lot recently.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 03:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Did you turn your body as you typed the counter question?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 03:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

What would LLBeary do?

Did you turn your body as you typed the counter question?

What would LL Beary do?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 05:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

Top players can take the ball straight off the bounce, or at the top of the bounce, or well after the ball has dropped. It's all okay.

What you can't do is stick your butt out and reach for the ball every match. There are certain parts of a base shot that aren't negotiable. LTT118 is a lesson on how to practice and it's not an attempt to correct a ghost's shot from one ancient point.

This is a good post. What you are saying, while not obvious in the video, is that William had this technique error. I have lots of them also. Some of them I've identified and try to work on them but they tend to still show up in matches.

Lets imagine that William is going for 2020 Tokyo - how would you fix this flaw that he has done over and over (and over)? What is the plan to correct common bad technique?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 08:57 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

There are situations where you won't have enough time to do the "right" things. You just need to know what is right so you can practice it. Sometimes people tell me they don't have time to turn correctly and they have half a point. You need to learn how to turn correctly at high speed. The first time someone bends their left knee correctly, they may not have time for the second ball.

You really mean the first time someone bends their knee correctly, they may not even touch the first ball or may hit it well off the table.

The focus on doing the correct technique tends to be compromised by the belief (common amongst amateurs) that a technique is only being done correctly if it gets the ball on the table. People get stuck doing the same old crap because they are too concerned with how they feel when they miss the ball.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 08:59 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
Some interesting spectators in the background :)

Thanks for this. Hope all is well with you.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 11:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
You really mean the first time someone bends their knee correctly, they may not even touch the first ball or may hit it well off the table.

The focus on doing the correct technique tends to be compromised by the belief (common amongst amateurs) that a technique is only being done correctly if it gets the ball on the table. People get stuck doing the same old crap because they are too concerned with how they feel when they miss the ball.

This post is written by a man doing some real coaching.

When you teach someone proper technique, their level instantly drops.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408 ... 568  Next