OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Help with my setup
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 18:46 

My blade actually from iskandar recommendation

i use sanwei m8, it feels good really. I tried several all wood blade like a yasaka sweden extra tha’s more expensive and actually i don’t like it after i tried m8 wow

Blade give a nice wood feeling that i never felt before. I can really feel the ball and give me a lot more confidence just for 9$ vs yse 28$

Rubber i used jupiter 2 and 729 tack speed before.

Now i used xiom vega pro and euro

After one month, i see sanwei m8 not give me consistency in block. It’s good in loop and attacking, but don’t give a lot of spin to.. i need more extra power to give me a lot of spin and my block is not consistent i can tell it just bad

I’m a beginner- intermediate still improving my technique

Any suggestions why it’s so difficult to block and play close to the net? With this m8

Because my block on yse more consisted. That’s the different $ show on yse?

Ohh... when i have a match with pips, i have difficulties to lift the ball after fourth ball.. for first attacking it’s still okay, but thirds and fourth the balls always goes down.

It’s that problem with my technique or my blade? Because i know it just right i put a lot of power with good touch to lift but fourth ball always goes down.

Anyone can suggest more consistent beginner- intermediate blade?

Actually if i no need to change my blade it’s okay, I don’t want to EJ-ing and try until find the best is costly. And no sense. I just want make own to be okay and perfect.

But other thing, i train 5-6 days a week. 2-3 hour. I just passioned to wins some club tournaments and maybe national is my achievement

Post subject: Re: Help with my setup
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 19:38 
Super User

Hi Aden,

Might sound like common sense, but I think its mostly a technique issue.

Watch some instructional youtube videos on correctly looping backspin. Shadow practice by trying to find optimal muscle group synergies. Use your whole body for every shot, maximize racket speed, not just arm/wrist snap.

Easy tips would be:

-Stay low, as low as you can and constantly remind yourself to get lower. Never get up. Bend those knees, lower your head, bump out that ass. Keep reminding yourself, then repeat, and repeat again...and keep repeating. Its too easy to get tired, forget, and stand up. Tattoo this on your knees so you get extra reminder. Tattoo it on your forearm too, so that when you wipe sweat off your forehead you get another reminder.

-Start low, I find looping backspin to become almost natural if you consciously start the swing lower. Longer backswing (almost knee height) and swing, it will come naturally.

-Firm but not tight grip, do everything you can to ensure consistent racket angle throughout the entire stroke, don't curve, don't wrap.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 21:39 

lasta wrote:
Hi Aden,

Might sound like common sense, but I think its mostly a technique issue.

Watch some instructional youtube videos on correctly looping backspin. Shadow practice by trying to find optimal muscle group synergies. Use your whole body for every shot, maximize racket speed, not just arm/wrist snap.

Easy tips would be:

-Stay low, as low as you can and constantly remind yourself to get lower. Never get up. Bend those knees, lower your head, bump out that ass. Keep reminding yourself, then repeat, and repeat again...and keep repeating. Its too easy to get tired, forget, and stand up. Tattoo this on your knees so you get extra reminder. Tattoo it on your forearm too, so that when you wipe sweat off your forehead you get another reminder.

-Start low, I find looping backspin to become almost natural if you consciously start the swing lower. Longer backswing (almost knee height) and swing, it will come naturally.

-Firm but not tight grip, do everything you can to ensure consistent racket angle throughout the entire stroke, don't curve, don't wrap.

Thankyou for answering, very good answer actually.. very motivating. Thanks

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 11:59 

Last night i play and get more easily after a few training. But sanwei m8 i think i need change for sure.. when i hit hard it sound like crack wood, truly not consistent anymore. After I train for smashing

Is good only for someone new at Tabletennis,.. learn basic technique and just for fun. Not for a someone in serious path.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 12:30 
Super User

Crack wood is actually good.

After you buy a few dozen blades, you start trying to optimize between speed-weight-feel, the feel gets lower and lower as you progress to powerful equipment. By then, you start missing the crack wood feel.

You can look into a Xiom Offensive S for a not too expensive but reliable and controllable OFF blade. Actually, any 5 ply in the OFF range shouldn't have many jarring deficiencies.

Other options I've tried and liked the feel of:
Primorac
Korbel
Yinhe M-4
Tibhar Stratus Power wood

All plays within a 85% similarity range.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 13:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

aden f wrote:
Ohh... when i have a match with pips, i have difficulties to lift the ball after fourth ball.. for first attacking it’s still okay, but thirds and fourth the balls always goes down.

Sounds like the spin is building up. You're looping and the (long?) pips player is chopping, right? The spin is feeding on itself and getting stronger. That's why you'll see some international players alternate between loops and pushes. When you loop is comes back as backspin. Which you push, and it comes back as topspin. If the ball comes back high, kill it.

Be thankful you CAN consistently loop backspin - most "beginners" can't.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 13:31 

lasta wrote:
Crack wood is actually good.

After you buy a few dozen blades, you start trying to optimize between speed-weight-feel, the feel gets lower and lower as you progress to powerful equipment. By then, you start missing the crack wood feel.

You can look into a Xiom Offensive S for a not too expensive but reliable and controllable OFF blade. Actually, any 5 ply in the OFF range shouldn't have many jarring deficiencies.

Other options I've tried and liked the feel of:
Primorac
Korbel
Yinhe M-4
Tibhar Stratus Power wood

All plays within a 85% similarity range.

Cheers.

I know, it’s vibrating too much as well. And the handle make me uncomfortable with my shots actually i use double grip tape. Still uncomfortable..

My hand kindda thin but i’ve long finger, i’m a tall guy.. so thin handle make me uncomfortable..

Is tibhar stratus power wood have a good control and consistency in a block and rally shot? I really need that

I’m looking for control + spin.. not looking for speed.. my style of play is more ball placement and control shot but deadly..

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 13:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

So the Yinhe N11 probably wouldn't work then.. :lol: It's a little faster than the M8, but enough that it makes chopping difficult. Almost no vibration, nice feel for looping, and has a thunderingly crisp flat hit. And relatively cheap to boot.

Not really sure what this "crack wood" thing is about... one main reason I switched to the M8 was it was slower and easier to control close to the table, but also because I could FEEL the ball better (through vibration). Perhaps you're right that it's more suited to lower level play, at the lower levels you don't have opponents who can consistently produce the types of loops you see in those rubber review videos, which you have to block back. There is a great deal more pushing and touch-type play over the table, for which I feel the M8 is ideal. Yet, it's plenty fast enough to attack with.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 14:29 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
aden f wrote:
i need more extra power to give me a lot of spin...

aden f wrote:
I’m looking for control + spin.. not looking for speed.. my style of play is more ball placement and control shot but deadly..

aden f wrote:
I’m a beginner- intermediate still improving my technique

Extra power generally means less control and it doesn't equate to extra spin. In fact stiffer faster blades can have the opposite effect, especially closer to the table. It seems to me that you would be better staying with Allround to All+ rated blades, at least for the time being until your technique improves further.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 16:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I must admit.. one of the BIGGEST reasons I switched from the N11 to M8 was that I started landing a lot more of my loops and drives. I could swing harder and still not miss. It really helped with the flicks, too.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 16:23 

Blade: YinHe N11
FH: KTL Pro XT
BH: RITC 563 OX
It looks like N11 has slightly larger (prolongated head) compared to M8....
And N11 feels like a higher end racket comoared to M8... maybe just perception...

Love N11 so far, even the OX MP side...[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
"Zombi shotgun" side... kills them dead.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 20:02 

Blade: DONIC Defplay Senso V3
FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm
BH: TSP SpinpipsChop II 1.4mm
I have both the M8, the N11 and W6 (as they are cheap blades, I don't have to sell them). For me the W6 is the best for looping between these 3 blades. M8 is a super super fine starter's blade, but N11 is a lot better a bit faster and spinnier.

@work setup: blade: Yinhe 980 | FH: Yinhe Mercury2 2.1mm | BH: Yinhe Neptune 0.7mm
to-be-used setup: blade: DONIC DefPlay Senso 3 | FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 soft 1.8mm | BH: TSP SpinPips Chop 2 1.4mm

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 02:32 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I must say, Yinhe's build quality is second to none. It's at least as good as Darker's, much better than Stiga's. The original N11 (not the current N11s) had these absolutely mirror smooth surface plies, when you took the cellophane cover off it was like tactile heaven to touch it. The handle looked plain as sin, but that was beside the point.. :lol: It was only a $10 blade. I can't believe I found something even cheaper that I liked better (the M8) - I liked it even better than some quite expensive 7 ply hinoki blades (Darker, Nittaku, Yinhe) that I'd bought earlier. Sanwei's build quality's not as nice, though.. some slight variation in thicknesses from blade to blade, some minor defects in the handle pieces - but for overall feel I haven't found anything better (and frankly, I've stopped looking).

Iskandar