OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 17:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 00:40 
Super User

Hi netdriver,

I want to take back the recommendation about the sponge pads.

Just finished a session playing "naked", removed sponge padding in the front and back. Everything felt clearer, impact was much more crisp and no longer any "dampening" feel on moderate impact drives. Smashing felt sharp and "explosive".

Fingers hurt like hell, but I think I can recondition them.

For all your RPB players out there, give single sided naked blades a try!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 19:38 

Blade: Nittaku Rorin
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: -
lasta wrote:
Hi netdriver,

I want to take back the recommendation about the sponge pads.

Just finished a session playing "naked", removed sponge padding in the front and back. Everything felt clearer, impact was much more crisp and no longer any "dampening" feel on moderate impact drives. Smashing felt sharp and "explosive".

Fingers hurt like hell, but I think I can recondition them.

For all your RPB players out there, give single sided naked blades a try!

haha, sounds great to hear that you like your blade without the sponge on

are the wings on your blade sanded? i dont have a cpen blade but i would really sand the living s*** out of them like i would with a jpen

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 21:23 
Super User

Yes, I sand the the wings, and even some grooves on the back of the handle.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 04:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

See what KTL/LKT does to their blades. When I bought my first blade when I playing again, it was a KTL Instinct (the shakehands version) and it puzzled me as to why they sanded grooves on the front of the blade, next to the handle. And then it occurred to me.. apparently they do that for penhold players, and for some reason they also did it to (at least) my shakehands blade as well. Maybe all the blades went through some automated machinery and it saved time to just run all of them through, instead of just the penhold blades.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 04:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

man_iii wrote:
I had wrist problems when I started with Shakehand! :-D :lol: hence the main reason I switched to Penhold. FH was not stable in Shakehand due to excessive wrist movement.

Has it actually helped? :lol: You were complaining about not being able to generate power on the penhold forehand some months back...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 22:55 

alright, i did mention that i would post a video of my session in saturday. however, due to unexpected personal issues popping up i did not manage to attend my training session. i apologize for that :(

but dont worry, i will get the video up eventually. ;)

anyways, after much thoughts over the few days, ive decided to work my forehand all over again starting from zero. loose yet fixed forearm, wrist and elbow position while the rotation of my body powers my stroke (weight transfer).

i came to the decision after an experiment ive done regarding my forehand stroke.

ive found out that ive been using my arm too much in my strokes. and when i compared my usual forehand stroke to the stroke where i use weight transfer with my arm fixed in place, the quality of the shot of the stroke done through weight transfer only is significantly higher. shocker. :P

ive experimented on my grip too, and ive decided to stick to my current grip except with minor adjustments. the thumb more parallel to the cork this time around, but still pretty deep (my thumb touching the rubber). meanwhile, my middle finger is more inline with the axis of the blade with my index finger placed right below it. thanks for the suggestions, lasta. they've been very useful to me. :D

as for equipment, i think i will use my 3-ply jpen for training. 1-ply hinoki is probably not a good idea to use since its too fast, and my 3-ply jpen is very much 5 times slower than it.

i dont know what plies my 3-ply jpen is made of. there is no brand or names plastered on it. when it first came to me it was only packaged in clear plastic and a dull grey cardboard box without any letters or labels at all. it smells pleasant and has a pleasant feeling too, but its definitely not hinoki. it does not have the distinct feeling of hinoki either. but all that it matters is that it is slow enough for training.

the cork on the 3-ply jpen is really terrible though. :lol: but its still tolerable.

thoughts?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 09:06 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
iskandar taib wrote:
man_iii wrote:
I had wrist problems when I started with Shakehand! :-D :lol: hence the main reason I switched to Penhold. FH was not stable in Shakehand due to excessive wrist movement.

Has it actually helped? :lol: You were complaining about not being able to generate power on the penhold forehand some months back...

Iskandar

Well, I am still working on it :-D :lol: The results so far are mixed. When I go for H3 / H3Neo I cannot attack with sufficient spin or speed. TG2Neo has very good spin+speed, but I can't smash well.

Yasaka Shining Dragon is the best rubber that allows my FH to smash, loop, cut, push and do everything very very well.

Yasaka RakzaX and Palio Thors is the best all-out offensive attack combo so far.

729-2 / 729 SuperFX / any other Chinese rubbers above 39 deg. are reasonable near table, but away from the table I can't put in enough spin or speed ...

Xiom Asia rubbers and Jupiter-II rubbers are simply too hard for me to get any kind of "feel" on the ball ...

--> Rakza7 throw is too high for me now ( I would guess since Chinese rubbers have that lower throw ... I have gotten to comfortable and used to it ... and H3/H3N is the exception with the higher throw ... )

I remember sometime back I mentioned that putting "body"-snap and other "extra" torque was causing too much variation in my returns.... well now, I have found that if I do the extra lower-mid-upper body torque for just against PO / Anti players, I can control the speed and spin a lot more smoother in the rallies.

Regular FH as before, shoulder-snap and some minimal upper-body turn into the ball. Wrist and forearm at minimum if needed to guide the direction. I am working on making it less "snap" and more short acceleration at only the point of contact .... this allows enough time to recover ... and more consistent stroke and expected results. :up: :) still working on more power though :lol: :D

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2019, 11:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

So in other words - it depends on what rubber you're using? :lol: How would this relate to what you thought was causing the problem - wrist instability?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 02:20 

are you confusing me for man_iii? i didnt really talk anything about rubbers in this thread so far :D

though if anyone wants to know what equipment i am using now, im using a red Super 729 FX rubber in 42 degrees hardness and 2.2mm sponge. my blade is a pretty cheap and low end 1 ply hinoki jpen, Kokutaku Bishu No. 1 D40

the equipment i plan to use for training is a 6mm 3-ply jpen of unknown brand and wood. the rubber is also pretty decent, a Tibhar Legend with MAX sponge. tacky rubber with a medium hard sponge.

chinese rubbers arent usually recommended for 1 ply hinoki jpen but i think the 729 is alright, although i prefer the more clearer feeling i get from a softer sponge. not a very forgiving set up at all :D

once i use the 729 for another few months till next year, i plan to switch to the all new Sanwei Target 90.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 01:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

In my last reply here? I was SPECIFICALLY addressing man_iii. And I was specifically asking about the post he made right before, where he mentions rubbers. Earlier he mentioned having "unstable wrist problems" when he was playing shakehands, which was why he took up penhold. Whatever the problem was, it doesn't sound like it has been fixed..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 13:17 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
In my last reply here? I was SPECIFICALLY addressing man_iii. And I was specifically asking about the post he made right before, where he mentions rubbers. Earlier he mentioned having "unstable wrist problems" when he was playing shakehands, which was why he took up penhold. Whatever the problem was, it doesn't sound like it has been fixed..

Iskandar

Hi Iskandar let us not hijack this thread from the OP :lol:

To answer your question about C-pen "fixing" my unstable wrist, that was nearly 7 or 8 YEARs ago ! :-D and it really did fix my unstable wrist problems due to the inherent use of the wrist flexibility in Penholder's technique and game.

Nowadays I can play Shakehand even better but there is not much development in Shakehand for me. Penhold just felt natural and has kept on improving. ( My shakehand has improved BECAUSE I play penhold ... so shakehand isn't my goto despite getting better )

I am working on getting my FH topspin to a higher level and the harder sponge rubbers seem to be helping me more though I still tend to "flat"-hit with the harder rubber ... Softer rubber would be more forgiving and still generate the spin on any of my penhold FH strokes. My aim to generate variable power based on variable distance and height :lol: this is what I am working on right now :lol:

Penhold is the superior technique for me. It fixed my unstable-wrist problems. This may not work for everyone. YMMV 8)

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 13:22 
Super User

netdriver wrote:
are you confusing me for man_iii? i didnt really talk anything about rubbers in this thread so far :D

though if anyone wants to know what equipment i am using now, im using a red Super 729 FX rubber in 42 degrees hardness and 2.2mm sponge. my blade is a pretty cheap and low end 1 ply hinoki jpen, Kokutaku Bishu No. 1 D40

the equipment i plan to use for training is a 6mm 3-ply jpen of unknown brand and wood. the rubber is also pretty decent, a Tibhar Legend with MAX sponge. tacky rubber with a medium hard sponge.

chinese rubbers arent usually recommended for 1 ply hinoki jpen but i think the 729 is alright, although i prefer the more clearer feeling i get from a softer sponge. not a very forgiving set up at all :D

once i use the 729 for another few months till next year, i plan to switch to the all new Sanwei Target 90.

I used to use Sanwei Target National. It is super-tacky and mid-fast rubber almost like Palio Thors. But Target National topsheet is very susceptible to damage ( dont use towel/sponge/cloth to wipe the topsheet! ) and the rubber degraded within 6 months for me. I had to take it off to boost heavily with Falco to get it back on the blade and restore most of the speed.

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 02:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

man_iii wrote:

To answer your question about C-pen "fixing" my unstable wrist, that was nearly 7 or 8 YEARs ago ! :-D and it really did fix my unstable wrist problems due to the inherent use of the wrist flexibility in Penholder's technique and game.

Nowadays I can play Shakehand even better but there is not much development in Shakehand for me. Penhold just felt natural and has kept on improving. ( My shakehand has improved BECAUSE I play penhold ... so shakehand isn't my goto despite getting better )

I am working on getting my FH topspin to a higher level and the harder sponge rubbers seem to be helping me more though I still tend to "flat"-hit with the harder rubber ... Softer rubber would be more forgiving and still generate the spin on any of my penhold FH strokes. My aim to generate variable power based on variable distance and height :lol: this is what I am working on right now :lol:

Penhold is the superior technique for me. It fixed my unstable-wrist problems. This may not work for everyone. YMMV 8)

I'm not trying to convert you back to shakehands.. :lol:

I remember back when you started posting about your problems generating power on your forehand, that you had an awesome RPB, and didn't use a traditional backhand at all. So I was trying to figure out why. When you posted that video (which I only found about six months after the fact.. :lol: ) I was pretty sure it was your grip (which you say you've since fixed). And then this thing about the wrist comes up. Maybe that was the problem. But you say it's been fixed, even though the forehand power problem is only partially fixed and depends on the rubber you're using.

Ah well, interesting problem nonetheless... I had problems with counterdriving rallies (i.e. "warm up") for a long time, one day I suddenly figured out what the problem was. Or rather, I was able to overcome it in some mysterious way. I went from not being able to string together several hard counterdrives to being able to consistently block counterdrives to actually putting quite a bit of power into the counterdrives to being able to switch between counterdrives and loops at will. Still not that consistent, part of the problem is the people I play with aren't all that consistent either.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 22:14 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
man_iii wrote:

I'm not trying to convert you back to shakehands.. :lol:

I remember back when you started posting about your problems generating power on your forehand, that you had an awesome RPB, and didn't use a traditional backhand at all. So I was trying to figure out why. When you posted that video (which I only found about six months after the fact.. :lol: ) I was pretty sure it was your grip (which you say you've since fixed). And then this thing about the wrist comes up. Maybe that was the problem. But you say it's been fixed, even though the forehand power problem is only partially fixed and depends on the rubber you're using.

Ah well, interesting problem nonetheless... I had problems with counterdriving rallies (i.e. "warm up") for a long time, one day I suddenly figured out what the problem was. Or rather, I was able to overcome it in some mysterious way. I went from not being able to string together several hard counterdrives to being able to consistently block counterdrives to actually putting quite a bit of power into the counterdrives to being able to switch between counterdrives and loops at will. Still not that consistent, part of the problem is the people I play with aren't all that consistent either.

Iskandar

Consistency ! :?: |( It is a terrible thing to inflict on a budding TT player :@ :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2019, 01:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Budding?? We're all in our geezer-hoods.. :lol:

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next