OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 16:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

Brett talked to me at the camp about folding on serve and gave some thoughts on it. I know I'm not there yet but this is where I'm at now with it. I'm ready to take the next step in advice.

The results have been reasonably good using this serve in any case.

IMO, it is a good serve, looks like a side backspin serve - you could get it a bit closer to your body though. You could make it more pure backspin if you get the racket angle more towards you, but many good players serve this way (BRS) so nothing wrong with it as long as you know what you are doing.

Those pushes over the table, let the ball come long or let it double bounce, you will be surprised if you see that some of them still come off (doesn't mean they won't be annoying to loop). Or try to loop/flick them over the table. Push yourself a bit.

I think I agree with everything Laj said.

I like it when I watch a video and I don't know what to say. I first watched this serve about 5 days ago and I didn't respond. It means it's really close to being a good action.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 01:26 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
The pendulum in the video title is a bit confusing because the elbow isn't high enough for it to be a genuine pendulum serve - but it is a good serve once you get past that.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 01:28 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:

Omg Laj, you need to get a life man!

I'll play the game tho.

Attachment:
India Junior Boys Silver Medal Asian Juniors 2019.jpeg

Congrats! I guess the WJTTC is the next big thing now...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 01:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Omg Laj, you need to get a life man!

I'll play the game tho.

Attachment:

Congrats! I guess the WJTTC is the next big thing now...

Thanks.

Asian Senior Champs in Indonesia next week. I'm sure you'll find me on YouTube.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 02:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
Attachment:

Congratulations! Is it a stuffed monkey you are holding? What is his name?

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 07:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
The pendulum in the video title is a bit confusing because the elbow isn't high enough for it to be a genuine pendulum serve - but it is a good serve once you get past that.

I think the definition of the pendulum serve is a little different for me. Or has been. I'm up for more opinions. I suppose if the arm isn't acting like a large pendulum then it isn't a pendulum serve. My serve isn't a punch serve tho, so what is it then?

Closer to the body is something I'm not sure about just yet. I want to work in more body and keep the elbow up a bit more. Perhaps I can move my body closer during the body fold?

Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 12:42 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

I think the definition of the pendulum serve is a little different for me. Or has been. I'm up for more opinions. I suppose if the arm isn't acting like a large pendulum then it isn't a pendulum serve. My serve isn't a punch serve tho, so what is it then?

Closer to the body is something I'm not sure about just yet. I want to work in more body and keep the elbow up a bit more. Perhaps I can move my body closer during the body fold?

Thanks for the feedback.

It's a side backspin serve and it's form is pretty close to a straight backspin serve. You could call it a a forehand sidespin backspin serve. But as a pendulum side backspin serve, the form is not textbook.

Closer to the body just means that elbow has to come behind the body more which isn't that different from getting it up more. Okay, that's not necessarily true, getting the elbow high on the pendulum can be annoying.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 17:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

Brett talked to me at the camp about folding on serve and gave some thoughts on it. I know I'm not there yet but this is where I'm at now with it. I'm ready to take the next step in advice.

LTT119 is now available on ttEDGE.com

I've had this video on my list for some time and Russ inspired me to make it today.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 01:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

I've had this video on my list for some time and Russ inspired me to make it today.

Very convenient that I could just play my own video and watch to see what I do...and shockingly I actually do this thing on the serve. There might be other issues but I seem to be doing the leg thing correctly?!? It could be better...after watching it 5 times and comparing. Maybe this explains why magically this serve has turned into a point earner.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 01:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

Very convenient that I could just play my own video and watch to see what I do...and shockingly I actually do this thing on the serve. There might be other issues but I seem to be doing the leg thing correctly?!? It could be better...after watching it 5 times and comparing. Maybe this explains why magically this serve has turned into a point earner.

If I remember correctly, you were doing the double knee bend before the camp. Now you have the step.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 05:07 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Brett Clarke wrote:

Should one make a step when serving a pendulum serve as well?
What about the BH serve? I find myself stomping with my left leg but don't know whether or not it adds anything to the serve.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 14:34 

Nice video! Thank you Brett. Nearly everyone I know does it that way.

It's interesting to hear your reasoning because everyone I've spoken to about it has said that the stamp is there to cover the sound at contact. This makes it harder for the opponent to know if it was a brushing contact or a no spin contact. I think this is why I initially started to do it. But nowadays I do it because I'm shifting my weight from my back leg to the front one.

EDIT: Actually, I think I'll need to revisit this because since redoing my serves a few months back, I've lost a lot of this movement!

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 17:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Should one make a step when serving a pendulum serve as well?
What about the BH serve? I find myself stomping with my left leg but don't know whether or not it adds anything to the serve.

Yeah, you should do a twist and stamp combo on the pendulum serve.

The backhand serve is more interesting. On my list of videos to do, I've got "The Nigerian Serve". There are many different types of backhand serves.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 17:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
Nice video! Thank you Brett. Nearly everyone I know does it that way.

It's interesting to hear your reasoning because everyone I've spoken to about it has said that the stamp is there to cover the sound at contact. This makes it harder for the opponent to know if it was a brushing contact or a no spin contact. I think this is why I initially started to do it. But nowadays I do it because I'm shifting my weight from my back leg to the front one.

EDIT: Actually, I think I'll need to revisit this because since redoing my serves a few months back, I've lost a lot of this movement!

There is some truth to the sound thing. 20 years ago I would have said that sound is the main reason.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 22:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
A local coach encouraged me to do more passive returns with focus on keeping the ball on the table. I found one interesting thing: when I try to push or block/chop the ball back instead of looping it, I have a lot more time to read the spin. I see the toss, contact and follow through, and have a ton of time to watch the ball and read the spin. Whenever I prepare to loop, right after the contact I start moving and preparing my swing. At this moment I am focused at the ball and don't see the follow through very well. As the result, I see at most 50% of the information I get during a passive return and don't read the spin very well. I tried taking a small pause before moving into position for a loop, which I think improved my spin reading, but it became a lot harder to prepare for the swing in time. Does anybody else have the same experience with looping serves?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!