OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 02:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 13:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The 401 is not like H3 at all. The 401 has a soft and mildly tacky topsheet, with a firm but powerful sponge (once you engage it). The H3 topsheet is a lot harder and the sponge less dynamic. The 401 is closer to a slightly boosted 999 blue sponge.

The 07 Sticky feels more like a (firm) Tensor with a sticky topsheet. I didn't think it was quite as spinny as the 401, but it takes less effort to lift a backspin ball. I also felt it lacked a little topspeed, which makes me think it probably needs a harder (composite) blade to suit.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 16:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

OK, so now we've established that 401/402 is for chopping/defense/allround play, and 07 is for beginners/intermediate players. What are 01 and 15 for?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 21:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

iskandar taib wrote:
and 07 is for beginners/intermediate players.

Not at all, there are 4 version of this rubber, and at least two (Limber & stiff) are fast and high spin rubbers, suitable for advanced players.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 21:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

OK, so how do they differ (as a group) from 01 and15 (as groups)?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 23:25 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
haggisv wrote:
The 401 is not like H3 at all. The 401 has a soft and mildly tacky topsheet, with a firm but powerful sponge (once you engage it). The H3 topsheet is a lot harder and the sponge less dynamic. The 401 is closer to a slightly boosted 999 blue sponge.

Interesting you should mention that. I've been fooling around with blue-sponge 999 for a bit now (unboosted). A dream for pushing, chopping and service.

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2019, 15:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

kaesees wrote:
Interesting you should mention that. I've been fooling around with blue-sponge 999 for a bit now (unboosted). A dream for pushing, chopping and service.

Yes I agree, I used to use it myself. However 999 BS is quite slow and needed boosting to get decent speed, the 401 does not need that, even though the control for pushing/chopping is as good if not better than 999. 999 BS also has some quality control issues, something you won't find with 401.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019, 17:17 

Blade: DHS TG7-CP
FH: Joola Golden Tango PS
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
I wish I could try one of these on my FH

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 13:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

darkmoor wrote:
I wish I could try one of these on my FH

401 available here:

https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/victas-vs-401

999 Blue Sponge.. I assume this is it?

https://www.tenryu.com.my/store/Globe-9 ... d=842&in=1

The red sheets have red sponge, though.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2019, 03:51 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
Ok, so there is no other post about this rubbers, so I'll post my review of the Victas 07 Sticky Extra (black, max) here.

So I've been playing with it for almost 2 months now - 2-3 times a week. Mounted on Palio Chop #1.

First thing's first - it's only very slightly tacky.
Second thing. After playing with it for about 8-10 hours I was a little disappointed - it was slow. And I'm used to playing with Chinese rubbers and I know how slow can those be. But come on! It's a 40 Euro Victas rubber with the word "Extra" in it - it must be fast!)
So after about 8-10 hours of play it needed to be reglued cause I hit the table with the paddle and peeled part of the rubber off.
After regluing the rubber was not the same - it was MUCH faster. And till now it's fast and I like it.

I'll try to emphasize on some things I think are important about this rubber:

1. The topsheet is slightly tacky and soft.
1.1. The softness limits you in playing with very thin contact on topspin. It'll slip. I was doing this for about 4-6 training sessions. You can not play a very thin contact topspin with this rubber (for example it's easily done with the Battle 2 or the Hurricanes). You need to engage the sponge more.
1.2. The softness of the topsheet allows you to play some super aggressive and weird pushes and chops. A lot of my opponents say that I started doing some very weird shots (they would mostly use other words :rofl: ) Chopping is very easy, leaving some sidespins in the short game - easy, ignoring the opponent's spin is easy too. You just need to get used to the feel of the moment when the topsheet bends but the sponge still isn't fully engaged.
2. The sponge (when it breaks, or, maybe, when it's properly glued) has gears. As I said - after regluing the rubber it became much faster. But that is only on faster shots. It's still slow when you need it. I would say that it has great top end speed. For me it's top end speed is faster than most of the Chinese rubbers that I've used.
3. The combination of this sponge and topsheet make it really a hybrid rubber. I found out that some shots are better done with a chinese loop motion and some are easier done with an european loop motion. It's like killing a a heavy chopped ball - play it through - like with any chinese rubber. A floater that is falling - engage the sponge, play a shorter stroke more upwards and the ball kicks like it's a tensor rubber. A very interesting feeling.
4. The serve. Personally I love this rubber for serving. But! I use high toss serves - I think this allows me to use the soft topsheet better. My regular sparring partner said that my serves became heavier. And I also feel like I have more control over the serve.
5. Serve receive is good. The soft topsheet allows to ignore the opponent's spin to some degree.
6. The main drawback for some (probably) is the curve when looping. The rubber doesn't clear the net very easy - my topspin doesn't curve a lot with this rubber. Lots of tensors give you a much bigger window over the net, but this rubber throws the ball very low. I'm used to the fact that with chinese rubbers the topspin flies rather low, but with the Sticky Extra it flies really low.
7. The spin is good-very good. One just needs to get used to the combination of topsheet and sponge.

Well, these are my observations about the Sticky Extra. Overall I think it's a really good rubber and I'll stick(although it's not sticky :lol: ) with it. I hope the review is readable :lol:

Also I feel it's quite light. :rock:

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2019, 02:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Since it was supposed to be a tacky rubber - did it have a Chinese-style "protector sheet" on the top that needed to be peeled off?

v100ev wrote:
So after about 8-10 hours of play it needed to be reglued cause I hit the table with the paddle and peeled part of the rubber off.
After regluing the rubber was not the same - it was MUCH faster. And till now it's fast and I like it.

I wonder why this happened. Was the first glue job defective, perhaps?

v100ev wrote:
Also I feel it's quite light. :rock:

Did you weigh and measure the sheet?

(Hoping Haggis posts photos and weight/measurement data..)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2019, 17:05 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Since it was supposed to be a tacky rubber - did it have a Chinese-style "protector sheet" on the top that needed to be peeled off? ]

I wonder why this happened. Was the first glue job defective, perhaps?

If I remember correctly - it had such thing(a film on the rubber). But I'm not sure. The whole process of unpackaging and gluing was done in the club so I just had a glance or two.

About the glue job - who knows. When we peeled it for re-gluing it didn't seem to be glued bad..

iskandar taib wrote:
Did you weigh and measure the sheet?

Nop :) It just felt lighter after my Tuttle 55A which was lighter than the Battle 2 :)

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2019, 20:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Everyone needs to buy one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000110976296.html

The 500g/0.01g one would be best I think. Only $7. And yes, they're quite accurate - I've tested mine against analytical balances. You can also test them with coins. Use a paper cup or similar to weigh sheets of rubber, blades and bats. Put the cup on the platform, tare, then balance the object to be weighed on top of the cup.

Don't be caught EJing without one... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 06:58 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
I. an allround player with v15 limber on backhand and v15 stiff on forehand, both in 2mm, on an old Rossi power blade (fastish blade). I find the limber version of the victas rubbers way more catapulty than the stiff version (much higher throw angle). much harder to place balls accurately with the limber than the stiff. I'm curious to know how is the 07 any different than the 15, since they each come in 3-4 flavours!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 20:12 
Super User

Yesterday was raining heavily and the windows in the club where open - so a great chance to check how the Sticky Extra performs in very moist(do you say so or should I use another word?) conditions.
So overall - awful :rofl: It seems to me that the soft topsheet doesn't help at all. The ball was dropping like a rock after I tried spinning it up. Hitting was fine, but I can easily say that I haven't played with such a rubber before. All my chinese rubbers performed much better in the same conditions.. Well, that's that. I still like the rubber very much, but I'll need to be aware of this fact :)

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2019, 02:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This isn't unusual. MOST rubbers suffer from this - when it gets humid enough that water starts condensing on the rubber (yes, it gets like that here, during the really bad all-day thunderstorms during the monsoon) MOST rubbers quit working. The only ones that work are the various 999s. Good to have a special humid weather bat in your bag.

Again.. in what way are 01, 07, 15 etc. different from each other?

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next