OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2019, 11:50 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Rather than detail all missed item since last entry, I'll just skip most of them.
<non-TT stuff>
Last Thursday, after getting home from a 2.5 hour drive each way to look at 2 properties, was trying to work out where a couple of easements on another contender were. The contract of sale, a non-searchable PDF document, at least mentioned them. One was for a high pressure gas pipeline, and listed what looked like every property it went through in a sizeable portion of country NSW, twice, the other for some sort of electricity transmission which I don't think had been acted on, or if it had been was not on the property we were interested in. Do you think I could spot whether the first one actually crossed the property in question? To make matters worse the property was the result of multiple subdivisions so may have been mentioned as one of 3 different lot and deposited plan designations. Anyway I was still doing this after the nominal start time for the club on Thursday night.
</non-TT rant>

So anyway I turned up to the club late and played someone 2 if not 3 grades below me, JP. I very quickly lost the first game. The 2nd gami I got by the skin of my teeth, and similarly the third game. I actually considered going home then and there. Note to self: don't do that sort of non-TT stuff so close to playing TT.

Had a couple of doubles followed by a few games with MD. Suffice to say I didn't get even one game off him.

Saturday arvo went as usual.

This weekend we have the district championships, so hoping for some reasonable practice between now and then, even on Saturday arvo I might be a little selfish for once.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 12:03 

Regular transmission resumed for a while ...

Got to the club late last night, however mark 1 eyeballs were not overly strained before arrival. Played CJ with instructions from JL to beat him for him because "CJ hits the ball too hard". Did it 3-0, going to deuce in the last. Then E? for 3-0.

Then was a rematch with MD from last Thursday, for 2-1. What a difference being relatively unfatigued visually makes.

Had a hit with M?, making sure they were moving their feet. I made sure there was mostly alternating back- and fore- hands with the odd repeat on either side thrown in.

Last was a series of games with JL. I think I went up 3-0, then lost one then won a further 2 or so. Apparently when he went back to the other state for their Vets Open championships he and Roadrunner as he was known here discussed quite a bit how he could beat me. I have freely admitted to JL that Roadrunner used to beat me by rushing me via relentless attack off the bounce. That may have been why JL started off serving fast with his pimples until I stopped trying to return them by coming over them, thus negating the fact that I would usually put some sort of varying spin on them.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019, 11:57 

On Thursday night went to the club hoping to practice for the upcoming district championships. I played a few matches and went home. Oh well.

Saturday arvo at the community centre started slow but did pick up. I assured one member that a mobile TT shop would be at the district championships. Again no chance to get any real practice, although one of the regulars did try and give me a go.

Sunday morning got a text from the mobile tt shop owner that they were sick as a dog and wouldn't be coming. I sent an email to that effect off to the tournament organisers but neither had received / read it when I got to the tournament, texted one of the people I had told about the mobile tt shop being there, and put a few dozen balls I had for the community centre in the car as the ball sponsor wasn't going to be there.

At the tournament I won my group in the u1400 (CR) but lost to a guy I lost to in the recent comp. In the u1550 (CR) I beat a looper and lost to an old fashioned hard bat player who ultimately lost in the final. In the combined doubles I played with a fellow committee member and lost both our group matches pretty easily.

The player I had told at the community centre turned up for the mobile tt shop and I had to tell her (and showed her the text on my dumb phone) that it wasn't there and apologised profusely for her wasted time and petrol.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2019, 11:34 

Went to the club last night. Played AF first up for 0-3. Style match ups, you gotta love them. Then JL for 3-1. Mind you the 1 was 2-11. Then a hit with M?, a newer player. Then home earlyish for some domestic brownie points.

Spring comp starts next week. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 11:55 

Things at home meant that I didn't go to the club on last Thursday.

Went to the PCYC with eldest on Saturday lunch timeish for a little over an hour, some drilling but most just free hitting, no games. Also saw someone from the community centre there on the other table.

Then went and ran the community centre as usual on Saturday afternoon. Had a reasonable hit with J?. It is funny how new people turn up once then never again. Oh well.

Comp started last night. I was stand-in captain as our real captain is unfortunately having to work evenings. Anyway it was me, AF & JL playing for us pirates.
AF & I play our first singles on 2 tables. I went through my opponent F? 3-0 pretty easily. Admittedly I am within 9 (CR) of the cutoff for the division we are playing. AF also won his first singles.
Then I put AF & I for the 1st doubles which we also won. All things being equal, I will usually play the 2 players who have just played singles for each doubles.
Then JL & I played the next lot of singles on 2 tables. I was playing PC who I had recently played in the district championships. Another 3-0 for me. JL won 3-2 I think.
Then JL & I played the next doubles for a 3-1 win.
JL & AF then played the last singles for 3-2 & 3-1 I think respectively, with the last doubles AF & JL winning 3-2.

So over all it was 9-0, 27-6 for us. Afterwards AF & I agreed that it was a lot different to last comp where we were a division higher. Our real captain turned up after his work and took care of the formalities of submitting the results.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 11:58 

Went to the club a little late last night, but still had a good hit.

Played ?? who was not very consistent and couldn't handle varying spins for 3-0.

Then a couple of doubles matches, one with a left hand penholder. I (being left handed) almost entirely used my back hand to serve and receive, often standing the wrong side of the middle line to do both. The other was with a right hander where he would serve & receive with his forehand while I assumed the normal left hander position to cover the table with my fore hand.

Next was a singles with MD for a last gasp 2-1 for me.

Last was JL. At some point he made the comment that I made him play my game to which my reply was "How else do I win? I don't win by playing everyone else's game". We played for quite a while for 5-2, being me winning the first 4 then him 2 in a row then me the last one. He was always shaking his head at either how I would somehow win points or he would somehow lose them.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2019, 11:46 

On Saturday morning went for a hit with my eldest to the PCYC - some drilling & some free play.

Saturday afternoon was the community centre with a pretty good rollup.

Sunday arvo was back down to the PCYC (after saying no to going halfway across the city to a pay to play place where in all likelihood the journey to and from could have been longer than the play). This time we had to wait a while but then got on for much the same as the previous day. To cap it off we had a doubles against DZ & CJ which we won pretty easily 3-0.

Monday night was comp, our same team of myself, JL and AF who turned up late but not too late. First up was against MC, an older penholder. We traded games before I prevailed in the 5th. Meanwhile JL was doing much the same with CC. The first doubles was JL & I v CC & TC, which I think we won 3-1. Then it was me v CC for 3-1 & AF v TC also for 3-1 I think. Then the 2nd doubles for me and AF v TC & MC for 3-1. Last singles was JL v TC for another 3-2 and AF v MC i think for 3-1. Last doubles was JL & AF v CC & MC for 3-1. Over all another 9-0 win.

Next week we play away with only 2 of our team available. We may have to play a Div 4 player as our 3rd. We'll see.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2019, 07:55 

Got to the club late on Thursday night. Had a warm up hit with an older lower grade player. I was happy to just have a hit wth him, but he wanted a match. I played him right handed and won fairly easily. Then played a fun doubles with a group of lower graders. Next was a doubles with JL v MD & PU. Following this was a singles with MD which I lost 0-3. Last was a marathon v JL (who thinks he should be able to beat me, difference in CR numbers notwithstanding). I think I won 5 or 6 - 1.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 12:14 

Ran the Saturday afternoon at the community centre as per usual. Only played in a couple of doubles as we had a fair turnout. Made money for the month, as I found when totalling the takings and depositing 5them yesterday.

Played comp last night away at a RSL. Just like old times, they are the only club that gives you something for nothing - no entry fee and a free drink. Anyway we looked like only having me from our team able to play at one stage. I suggested IM who we had listed in our team originally but had withdrawn, as he was legal for no extra cost, and he was able to play. We also had a lower division player fill in.

We played only on the one player - for this most places have 2 tables going. I was up first against RP. He just wanted to hit loop drives, mostly forehand. I got away with the 1st game. In the 2nd game he went for one and ended up knocking over the table the umpire was sitting at which was quite a way away from the action, breaking a full glass and ... the umpire asked me if the point stood and I asked if the point had finished before the incident and confirmed that he had won the point. We had a break while someone cleaned up the mess including broken glass. RP won that game, although I wondered when we resumed whether he or I would be more affected. I got the next 2 games for the win by doing my usual of varying placement, pace and spin, along with the odd miraculous block, for 3-1.

JH filling in at times looked like he was a bit out of his league but to be fair never gave up, losing with a respectable 0-3 to SC.

JH & I played the 1st doubles my theory being to use players who are warm from the previous singles. we went down 0-3, but in at least 2 of the games we went to 9 or better.

IM played GB first after the doubles. I jokingly told him to try to make GB play a forehand, but he couldn't do it. I think he lost 0-3.

I next played SC who couldn't handle the varying spin for a 3-0.

This doubles IM & I pretty easily outplayed GB & AC for a comprehensive 3-0.

IM played RP next. This was a good win for IM, although RP complained he had just come back from 6 weeks away. I just took a peek at RP's CR record and it looked like he played in another comp last Thursday, so excuses, excuses. I think this was 3-1 for IM.

Last singles was JH v GB. I told JH to play him as if he was playing me, but that didn't work out too well for a 0-3 score line.

This left the final doubles with the rubber score being 4-4. IM & JH gave it a good tilt but it was not to be. I think it was 0-3.

So overall 4-5 for the night.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 11:36 

So I went to the club last night. Got there only a little after opening time so while waiting for a partner put up 2 tables. Had a warm up and game with RK, then a lower level pen holder. Then a couple of fun doubles with mixed teams. Then a more serious singles with MD which I lost 0-4. Oh well.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 11:53 

Went to the PCYC with eldest son on Friday night. Drilled for a while, then free hitting, then son wanted more drilling, what he called "counterhitting". I did what I usually do to counterhit (his forehand to my backhand) but I apparently flick too much. When I tried not flicking too much the ball went everywhere but the table. During the free hitting I had pointed out a very few of his serves that were hidden or were thrown excessively sideways, after the rally / point had finished. At the end of our time there he thought that I was the worst person in the world for pointing out these things on one or two of his serves, and that I shouldn't do it, and anyway that he had never been pulled up for it at tournaments and the top players do it ... He then accused me of hiding the ball in one of my serves (unlikely in my opinion as the ball is usually if not always in front of my body / arm etc) and not throwing the ball up from a totally flat palm and that I shouldn't pull anyone up for their serves because my serve wasn't perfect. After pointing out that I was trying to help if in the future he got a particularly stringent umpire, and that what he practiced was what he would do in a match I kept quiet in the hope that the head of steam he had built up would dissipate - which it didn't unfortunately.

Ran the community centre on Saturday afternoon. I had printed out a local TT camp poster for a few of the juniors who had come along a few times this year but of course they didn't turn up. We did have one new junior who could hit the ball plus a couple of young girls with their father who had seen our sign on the footpath and just walked in off the street.

Looking forward to comp tonight at the club - I have the key to open up. I have tried to not do this too much as I already do that for the community centre, so hopefully this will be a one-off.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 11:56 

Another comp match another "interesting" incident ...

Turned up at the club with key to open it up to find it already open. Oh well. Later on I got rid of the key, so all is good.

We were playing a similarly named (sea going robbers the both of us me hearties) opposing team at home. First up I played SB, the husband of one of Australia's top 10 women, who has recently started playing TT in the spirit of if you can't beat them join them I suppose. It was his first comp match. He asked if I used non-standard rubber and I showed him my T05H & T05. This was for a very easy 3-0, while JL played CJ, winning the first but losing the next 3 for 1-3.

Next I would have played myself & JL as the warmed up players, but CJ wanted the doubles to warm up for his singles, so against my better judgement he and I played the first doubles. We won the first 2, lost the next 1 and I was thinking we would go to 5 but ended up winning the 4th for 3-1 to us.

After the doubles it was myself v CJ & CJ v S?. I won the first game to something like 2, then CJ (my side) complained about S?'s serve, interrupting things. I told him that he wasn't the umpire and to appeal to the umpire (their player). I lost the 2nd 7-11. I then cleared my head and won the next to fairly easily for 3-1. Meanwhile CJ v S? went to 5 but S? ultimately won. CJ refused to shake his hand, even when I specifically instructed him to, and accused me of doing nothing for him as captain.

Second doubles was myself & JL. I think we went down 0-3, although 2 of those we got to 9 or better.
Final singles was CJ vSB and JL v S?. CJ beat SB and JL, who had been undefeated up till tonight lost 0-3 to S?.

Rubber score at this point was 4-4 with the final doubles to come. Unfortunately JL & CJ went down 0-3 I think, so on the night we lost 4-5 again.

After all the shooting was over I appologised to S? for CJ's behavior but also told him exactly how he was serving illegally. That has been my approach - leave it till the night is over to point out illegality of serving. Sometimes I forget, but not this night. Mind you I regularly also have to remind JL to throw the ball high enough.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 11:50 

Last Thursday had a hit at the club. I tried to involve the garage level players there. We played some fun doubles. I had the usual match with JL for 3-0, and a 0-3 with MD.

Saturday arvo at the community centre was busy. I think I interested a couple of mothers in a TT camp for U/18s for the 2nd week of the school holidays for their children who have been coming alo9ng a few times.

Last night was an away match. I played AD first up while PU played LX. CJ was umpiring my singles. He called my opponent on his serve and after a warning gave me a point. I shook my head when he looked to me for whether to give me the point. I went on to win 3-0. PU I think won 3-1.

CJ & I played the first doubles v CE? & LX we wone 3-1 I think.

Then I played LX while CJ played CE?. I won 3-0 with LX asking to see my rubbers part way through the 2nd game, which I let him and said that I didn't have to. Meanwhile CJ kept attacking against CE who was quite happy to block and counter hit, for a 1-3 loss for us.

PU & I played the 2nd doubles v CE? & AD. We noticed that when we chopped or heavy pushed to CE? we were more likely to get the point, so that is what we ended up doing for 3-1.

Last singles was CJ v LX for 3-1, & PU v CE? again for 3-1, with PU defending as per the previous doubles.

Final singles was CJ & PU v AD & LX. The first game was 16-18, followed by us winning the next 3 for 3-1.

Over all it was 8-1 in rubbers, with CJ feeling he had let the team down.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 11:47 

Turned up at the club for a hit last night.

Started with a match with JH, two divisions below me. 3-0, although I missed a few of his smashes that I would normally get back.

This was followed with a couple of fun doubles.

Then a match with JL. He was determined to win. He got the first 2 games by being very cautious, which was not like him. I came back, and won the last in my (and his, more) usual style. He claimed it was 4-3 to me, but I can't remember.

This was topped off by a more competitive doubles, CJ & myself v JL & ??.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 11:39 

Ran Saturday afternoon at the community centre as usual. Healthy roll up. Had a father & 2 daughters, 9 & 10 come to have a hit. I joined them on the worst (least light) table and explained a few rules and had a hit with them at doubles, ensuring that the girls were on the serving diagonal and making sure they were most involved. I did show off with my "ghost serve" which actually worked first time.

Went to the club last night to have a hit and watch my team play. They went down 2-7. I played MD and lost 1-2, and MS 3-0, along with a doubles of MD & JH v MS & myself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next