OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2019, 19:56 

I watched the women's final between Mima Ito & Chen Meng. Mima is mind-blowing. And it is incredible that Chen Meng withstood the barrage of deadly smashes by Mima & prevailed.

Now that defenders have been exterminated by smart systematic and clever planning by ITTF , in general it is more fun to watch women play . Men's play in most matches are a high speed comedy of third & fifth ball comedy of errors from a specttao viewpoint. Not saying this does not happen in women's game. With more defenders teh sport is more exciting on women's side even when some matches get expedited.

Not to mention the fact that you learn more by watching women (ata slower pace in general) except for exciting players like Mima.

And of course, unless you have an alternative lifestyle orientation , most men I am sure enjoy watching women than men. Watching another man play is so alternative. I personally go for watching women's tennis or volleyball or soccer or figureskating etc.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2019, 20:10 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I agree with you 100%. The woman's table tennis is much more interesting. Manika Batra is the only pro whose game resembles the long pip blocker style that many on this forum have. Also there are many somewhat successful two-wing women choppers for the classic defenders to admire.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2019, 22:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

IDK if it is better for learning, depends on your playstyle. But def better for watching.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 00:17 
Super User

I suppose different strokes for different folks.

I don't particularly like watching the women's game. And I hate to say that because I understand the immense skill they have. I just don't particularly enjoy watching that style overall. I do like the occasional firey fast, quick exchanges that are so prevalent in the women's game. Watching Ito's smashing style is fun to watch because it's so different. But by & large I see it and just think they play that way because most players can't play off the table and generate the necessary spin and/or speed to play like that. So right or wrong, I view it as a limitation. Now a natural one mind you. But a limitation none the less. So the style isn't for me as a fan.

It's no shock to me that one of the players I like is Ding Ning. I've never stopped to think why but I'd venture to guess it's probably because I think her style mimics the style you more commonly see in the men's game.

Last edited by suds79 on 11 Oct 2019, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 02:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I agree that the women's game is more interesting to watch. I don't think they play the short game because they "can't play off the table". It's because they CAN play close to the table. The level of power in the men's game is such that they're FORCED to play far from the table (and honestly, I think long-range loop rallies are boring). However, this is changing. The Japanese men have been known for playing close to the table, but now you've got Harimoto, and other players who USED to play far from the table are playing closer (probably due to the slower ball). The women's game is also where you have several choppers who are not only competitive, but very interesting to watch (though when you get two of them pushing at each other, THAT can get boring).

Incidentally, you all DO realize who the initial poster on this thread is, don't you? Oink oink oink.... sockpuppet alert sockpuppet alert. At least he hasn't gone into full hysteria mode yet...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2019, 05:15 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Thanks for the good question. :up: I usually look only men's TT. Why...hmm...because too many women's matches have too much counter driving close to table, which I find boring. Women defenders seem to have very similar (one note) styles, that are based on safe pushing and chopping. And when those defenders face average attacking women pro's, it's frustrating to see that those attacking pros often have no real power to penetrate safe defence. However, Mima Ito is interesting to see and top Chinese women play almost like men. But if you think men defenders like Hou Yingchao or Rufen Filus, they got lot of tricks in their sleeve and that makes things interesting to me.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2019, 03:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
I always learn more from women than from men in all aspects of life . :) .

As far as TT goes, you can watch more different styles in women's TT .You can even learn a lot in the so called never ending chopping rallies, precisely, they are teaching you patience and ball placement , no matter what . :clap: .

Also, I guess some people like much more the posture of women at receiving serves :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2019, 05:15 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I enjoy watching women's TT over the years. The level of skill is no less than men's, IMO.
The best era for me though, was the 1980's and 1990's. There were such great female TT players with different styles of playing.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2019, 11:34 
Super User

Women's all the way for those lightning fast at-the-table rallies :o which we seldom see in the men's game.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2019, 08:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I learn a lot from children as well. Please,Pay attention at 1.44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH56opAFS1g

These kids may be the future of tt,... :)

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2019, 09:47 
Super User

Sure Char Def with another version of the tomahawk serve for starters at 0:35 :o

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2019, 21:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

charmander defender wrote:
I learn a lot from children as well. Please,Pay attention at 1.44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH56opAFS1g

These kids may be the future of tt,... :)

Those kids would probably beat most of the players I play against here.. :lol: And me, to boot...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2019, 21:56 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
Those kids have clearly been taught to "Cho" after every point won. An entire generation in waiting to assault our ears.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2019, 23:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Maybe the ' CHO' thing is copied from the adults . I don't think trainers teach this 'CHO' sound, rather, what irritates some people is the intonation but the CHO in itself is a pretty stupid thing, really . :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I understand the CHO sound is a way to liberate the tension in the game, maybe a gay sound would be more creative and funny :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2019, 12:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

darucla wrote:
Those kids have clearly been taught to "Cho" after every point won. An entire generation in waiting to assault our ears.

You think this is new? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I came across this interview with Feng Tianwei some years back.. apparently her coach would fine her $5 (presumably Singapore $)for every point where she did NOT shout. In PRACTICE. :lol: Sort of a reverse swear jar.

charmander defender wrote:
Maybe the ' CHO' thing is copied from the adults . I don't think trainers teach this 'CHO' sound, rather, what irritates some people is the intonation but the CHO in itself is a pretty stupid thing, really . :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I understand the CHO sound is a way to liberate the tension in the game, maybe a gay sound would be more creative and funny :lol: :lol:

Er, it does mean something in Chinese... :lol:

There's someone offscreen (adult male from the sound of it) choing a lot louder than the kids are.. :lol:

Iskandar