OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2019, 15:15 

Hi everyone
I wanted to know if it is legal to glue a veneer of willow onto the first layer of racket.
Thanks in advance :)

Blade : Matsushita Pro

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2019, 15:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It depends on whether the tang is considered part of the blade... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2019, 16:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes it's legal, as long as the wood (after gluing) is perfectly flat on the blade.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 14:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Actually, come to think of it... the tang CAN'T be considered part of the blade if this Armstrong blade is considered legal:

Remember, layers of wood in the blade have to be CONTINUOUS. Here layers are cut off in the tang.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 16:00 
Super User

I think this is one of those tolerated grey areas. That blade has cork to make penhold finger placements more comfortable.

Kaii Yoshida also places a large sheet of sponge on the back, I do something similar.

Not in the rules, but I doubt anyone was every disqualified for those "modifications".

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 20:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm pretty sure the flat surface refers to the playing are, i.e. that area that is used used for striking the ball, so the handle does not count, nor does the cork on the side that's not used for striking the ball.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 21:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

lasta wrote:
I think this is one of those tolerated grey areas. That blade has cork to make penhold finger placements more comfortable.

Kaii Yoshida also places a large sheet of sponge on the back, I do something similar.

Not in the rules, but I doubt anyone was every disqualified for those "modifications".

If you look closer it's more than just the cork missing. The handle is glued on to a short stub of a tang, and "overhangs" the back of the blade. A little easier to see here:

https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng ... 0-44-round

As far as I've seen Armstrong is the only company to make blades with this sort of handle, and I wonder why it's done like that.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2019, 20:11 

haggisv wrote:
I'm pretty sure the flat surface refers to the playing are, i.e. that area that is used used for striking the ball, so the handle does not count, nor does the cork on the side that's not used for striking the ball.

I think this statement as a whole, is inaccurate because my understanding is that you can strike the ball legally not only with any part of the racket but anything below your your wrist. So the best Dr.N frictionless simulations are returns with your hand maybe spread out all over the back of the racket, especially if you are returning serve ?

In a similar related matter, it is actually legal to hit the ball into the bracket assembly at the bottom on YOUR side of table & the ball bounce up and land on other side & the ball is legally still in play (your opponent does not win the point).

In yet another related matter, I heard there was a rule change that allows double or triple hits as long as they are in one continuous motion or something like that. Can someone clarify ?

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 06:38 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
DonBradman wrote:
Quote:
In yet another related matter, I heard there was a rule change that allows double or triple hits as long as they are in one continuous motion or something like that. Can someone clarify ?

The rule originally was no double hits at all. It then got changed to double hit OK as long as not on purpose. It recently changed to multiple hits not on purpose OK. Here is an extract of the very latest rules:

2.10 A POINT
2.10.1 Unless the rally is a let, a player shall score a point
2.10.1.7 if an opponent deliberately strikes the ball more than once in succession;

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 10:17 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

DonBradman wrote:
haggisv wrote:

I think this statement as a whole, is inaccurate because my understanding is that you can strike the ball legally not only with any part of the racket but anything below your your wrist. So the best Dr.N frictionless simulations are returns with your hand maybe spread out all over the back of the racket, especially if you are returning serve ?

Haggis is referring to the surface where the wood plies have to be "continuous", not to parts of the bat with which is it legal to strike the ball. Yes, it's legal to hit the ball with your hand if you're holding the racket, but the wood plies don't have to be continuous with your hand. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 15:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
In a similar related matter, it is actually legal to hit the ball into the bracket assembly at the bottom on YOUR side of table & the ball bounce up and land on other side & the ball is legally still in play (your opponent does not win the point).

This is true only seem it happen once (against me)