OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2019, 15:11 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Here are few pips players with this blade, some are thinking of it and I have one for testing. There are information about the blade in Troublemaker discussion.

I believe that Gruppa blade has reputation as on of the best allround blades and it is suitable for beginners. Now some players say it's great with ox pips. For me it definately feels different from my other blades. How I should describe it... :?: It has kind of balsa like bounce, so it reminds me most my Firewall+ blade in feeling, althought Gruppa is way slower. The bounce gives natural speed to ox pips, so the ball is easy to move forward and risk of popping it up is reduced.

The FH is problematic for me. I have tried T05 max and Fastarc g1 max. They feel like playing with pillow - mushy, not much feeling, too much dwell... Again the feeling is similar to my balsa Firewall+ blade in a negative way. Some FH shots go well and I did some fast counters that would not have been possible with any other blade, the speed is good, especially in smashing, but I have to try some other FH rubbers.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2019, 21:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
i have had 3 grubba all+ blades.some have a silver motif some have a black one on the bottom of the handle.i have had 3 grubba pro all minus blades.all of these blade feel different to each other which is strange.i really like the all plus blades.i know a few pip players who use them.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2019, 23:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
I have 2 Grubba all + blades.They perform similarly- not all the blades of the same brand work in the same way .It is light with just enough speed . The top ply is very weak so be careful when ungluing,I think sealing the blade is a must .

The pips work fine with control and blocks are consistent , the blade has quality and great feeling as well.My fh depends on the performance of the LP . I use a soft sponge and the mm must be between 1.0 and 1.5 max.That's why my pips are not affected badly by the fh rubber .At the moment, Moristo Def in 1.2 is going great as I can perform all kinds of strokes safely,consistenly and effectively .

A great defender in superdivision here uses this blade . :)

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2019, 23:59 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Roy the problem you had on the forehand was probably due to using max tensor runners on a softish blade. Unless you are an out and out power looper 1.7mm or 1.8mm would probably work much better for you.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019, 19:11 
Super User

I just have to get used to T05 with Gruppa blade... I think that Dan Seemiller is playing with same combination, althought his 30 year old blade might be different. Or maybe I get thinner rubber to test, if I am happy with pips side.

I am also interested hearing how mynamenotbob and Charmander defender play with thin sponged inverted on the FH. :?: What are the strengts compared to Tenergy? How good is the spin in serves with Moristo 1.2?

As I have said before, in theory I good FH loop and attack and I have won some good players by FH loop, but very often loop is useless, because 1) it's totally off, 2) opponent pressures my BH only 3) opponent don't give much looping chances or 4) opponent is very good in top spin rallies, so I should avoid at any cost. So in the end I and up just keeping ball at the table with my FH, and in a way it's crazy to play with CWX+Rhytzm equipment with that passive strategy, because thats hell of a bouncy combination. Why I don't play with spinny and controlled rubber in those kind situations, where my FH loop is useless, one might ask? :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 04:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Roy wrote:
I am also interested hearing how mynamenotbob and Charmander defender play with thin sponged inverted on the FH. :?: What are the strengts compared to Tenergy? How good is the spin in serves with Moristo 1.2?

I mostly use the pip side and a thin forehand rubber gives me the best control. 1mm rubbers serve and push very well. I can smash just fine. I can do it from the forehand or backhand after twiddling. I loop a few times a match (spinny, medium speed), but usually try to get back to using the pips a.s.a.p.

I get most my points from 1) pick-hitting, 2) off the serve, 3) chop blocks, or 4) when I can get the opponent confused about the spin.

I do pretty well against opponents who aren’t strong attackers. This gives me time to twiddle and do different things.

Against good loopers who put pressure, I play pretty defensively. Mainly try to keep it short and place the ball awkwardly to keep them from attacking. Chop blocks and pick-hitting when possible.

For me, Tenergy 05 1.7 is too thick and heavy. That’s the only one I’ve tried.

Stefan Kostadinovic is the king of the Grubba blade. I try to play like this. Operative word here is TRY.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 14:36 
Super User

This blade seems to be quite a bit in the spotlight, these days, to have piqued my interest ....

Just to confirm - This is one with the Phoenix printed on the face of the blade, right ? What the difference between the All+, and the Butterfly Grubba Pro ..

Also, how're these blades for close-to-the-table passive blocking ?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 15:14 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Attachment:
grubba.jpg
grubba.jpg [ 228.45 KiB | Viewed 6916 times ]

This is the new design and the old design. To me, they play the same. The straight handle feels perfect in my hand. The flared version has a much smaller diameter.

The Grubba Pro is slow, oversize, and more for chopping. Seemiller's 30-year-old Grubba Pro is faster than the current model.

There is also the Grubba Carbon (also ALL+), which doesn't have the unique feel of the Andrzej Grubba ALL+. I also have the discontinued Grubba Variant, which is a very good ALL blade.

For me, the Andrzej Grubba ALL+ is by far the best of the four, especially with the plastic ball.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 15:55 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:

For me, the Andrzej Grubba ALL+ is by far the best of the four, especially with the plastic ball.

Is this your current go-to blade ? and what (in terms of game-play) do you like about it ?

I'm asking, cause I'm in the market for a new setup

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 17:14 
Super User

ootbs wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

Is this your current go-to blade ? and what (in terms of game-play) do you like about it ?

I'm asking, cause I'm in the market for a new setup

First of all, compared to def blades like Defplay, Gruppa blade is more close to table and of the bounce kind of blade. I tried FH chopping with Gruppa blade, but it didn't go well, the balls jumped all over the place, while Defplay kind of blades takes hold of the ball and gives nice flat trajectory. So with Gruppa blade I go naturally for more offence and closer to table, while with Defplay I feel comfortable by taking a step back and let the ball come.

With T05 max the Gruppa is propably not best blocking blade :lol: , as the throw is very high. But with some other FH rubbers it might be great at blocking, because of it's dwelly soft bouncy nature, that makes good feeling also in ox pips blocking.

For me Gruppa blade is totally playable for both sides, compared to some stiffer blades that I have like Spinlord Ultra Carbon Def or some clone of Timo Boll alc. For me stiff and hard blades lack feeling and playability in pips side and they lack spin in FH side.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 19:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Attachment:
grubba.jpg

This is the new design and the old design. To me, they play the same. The straight handle feels perfect in my hand. The flared version has a much smaller diameter.

The Grubba Pro is slow, oversize, and more for chopping. Seemiller's 30-year-old Grubba Pro is faster than the current model.

There is also the Grubba Carbon (also ALL+), which doesn't have the unique feel of the Andrzej Grubba ALL+. I also have the discontinued Grubba Variant, which is a very good ALL blade.

I always thought dan seemiller used the grubba pro.i went on the butterfly site and he replied.he uses the all plus grubba and not the pro.
did he use the pro before bob ?
i play tt in a league and one of my team mates has the original grubba pro which is an ALL blade.its as heavy as lead and brill for blocking.hes had several new blades but always goes back to his old pro

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/fs-old-b ... 58565.html

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/ ... Old-blades

If i can find a heavy grubba pro ALL blade i will prob buy.
dont see many though and i search the english e bay daily
my mate has the Black tag version

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 22:59 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Attachment:
seemiller.jpg
seemiller.jpg [ 301.9 KiB | Viewed 6830 times ]
Exactly right. Seemiller uses the old ALL model of Grubba Pro (a great looping blade), which hasn't been available for a long time. For many years, the Butterfly website falsely advertised him as using the defensive ALL- version of Grubba Pro, which was never the case.

The speed, control, and blocking trajectories of the Grubba ALL+ blade are terrific. But the most important attribute is the amazing feel. Roy explained it perfectly. The stiff and hard blades normally recommended for pips players lack feeling and playability on the pips side and lack spin on the FH side. I remember someone on a German forum once called the Grubba ALL+ "soulful," which is something that stuck with me.

To put it into "Bleach" terms, Grubba ALL+ is the table tennis version of a Zanpakutō.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 23:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

^good to know.ill have to get the old model pro to try as i use anti.
prob got em on the german e bay.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2019, 03:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Did they make them thinner for the new version all+ ? Butterfly states 5.1 mm.
The old brown/cream handle version was 5.8 mm I seem to remember .I played against someone using the old version when the plastic ball came out his topspins were as heavy as any I've faced ,he had Xiom Omega on f/h.(don't know which Omega no)
A friend had the old version too and it felt slow enough for controlled ox pips play

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2019, 03:31 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

dazzler wrote:
Did they make them thinner for the new version all+ ? Butterfly states 5.1 mm.
The old brown/cream handle version was 5.8 mm I seem to remember .I played against someone using the old version when the plastic ball came out his topspins were as heavy as any I've faced ,he had Xiom Omega on f/h.(don't know which Omega no)
A friend had the old version too and it felt slow enough for controlled ox pips play

I only have the old version of ALL+ in flared and it is pretty thin. I don't like it. The straight handle on the current version is perfect.

Attachments:
grubbafam.jpg
grubbafam.jpg [ 61.84 KiB | Viewed 6784 times ]

| My OOAK Interview