OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2019, 07:35 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Played at the club last Thursday night - JL & I had 2 matches, 3-1 to me in the first and I think 3-0 in the 2nd. A few other singles and doubles with various lower grade players.

Ran the community centre on Saturday afternoon. One returning player turned up, still had the shots but the footwork was a little slow. Another good show up.

No TT tonight as we are playing comp away tomorrow night.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2019, 11:53 

Played away (not a euphonism!) last night for a win. In preparation, looked at the RC numbers of our opposition - only 1 was over 1000, but under the lower guideline, when the guideline was that they should be somewhere between 1250 & 1400. I expected we would win pretty easily as a result.

First up, I played KJ, a junior. He had an interesting forehand side spin serve that sometimes had a little top, sometimes a little back and sometimes no spin. Apart from that he was not consistent enough. So 3-0 to me. CJ won his 1st singles.

CJ & I played in the 1st doubles which we won 3-0.

2nd singles my opponent was TY. He did not enjoy my varying spin at all, for another 3-0. PU won his 1st singles 3-1 I think.

2nd doubles PU & I got up 2-0, fell apart a bit in the 3rd. Before the 4th I told PU to just get the ball back in to play and I would deal with it. Didn't work in the 4th. Then came back in the 5th. After changing ends we didn't change receivers, but when I came to serve I realised this so we did then. We came away with the win 3-2.

CJ played and won his singles while PU lost 2-3.

We were up 7-1 for the night with the final doubles left to play and I left for home. That may be enough to put us back leading the comp.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 10:42 

Ah a week has gone by yet again. Let me see, what has happened?

Played at the club last Thursday, mostly remembering the match against JL for the (usual) win.

Ran the community centre on Saturday afternoon which I had had a few phone enquiries for, but no shows for them.

Played at the club on Monday night. Played a lower grader first up where we both tried to finesse points, but it was 3-0 to me. Played AF (he had been away for a month) but something about styles I went down 1-2. Played JL for a 2-1. Then played 3 doubles matches exploring all combinations of 4 people.

Had a local committee meeting Tuesday night where I shared the TTA news that they are paying for everyone to use RC.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2019, 10:42 

Played at the club last night. First up was a guy with black and blue pimples out rubbers who I may have played either last week or last fortnight. 3-0. Next was JL. He won the first 2 then I got 1. By unspoken agreement we then made it best of 5 for 3-2 to me. After that was a fun doubles with a couple of ladies. Then a fun doubles with myself, PU, JL & JH. Lastly was U? from my old club for a 3-0.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2019, 10:49 

Ran the Saturday afternoon at the community centre on Saturday. Numbers were down but it was the last weekend of the local school holidays. Of course I got an enquiry to play there when I got home after running it. :(

Played comp last night at the club.

First up it was a long pimples back hand / smooth rubber forehand player with very good control on the long pimples. Of course he didn't use the long pimples in the warm up. I managed to serve him off a couple of times for a 3-1 win. Meanwhile AF played a smooth rubber / smooth rubber player with a very good back hand for a gutsy 3-2.

First doubles was AF & I v our singles opponents. We lost the first game pretty dismally but picked things up for a 3-1.

Next was the double smooth rubber player with my 1st opponent scoring. The scorer just watched me wreck my opponent's game with my usual spin variation for 3-0 to me. Meanwhile JL played an anti spin / smooth rubber player, going down 1-3.

2nd doubles was JL & I v the long pimples and anti spin players. We eked out a 3-1.

Last singles was JL against the long pimples player and AF against the anti spin player. JL lost 1-3 and AF won 3-2.

Last doubles was AF & JL v anti spin and double smooth players. It went down to the wire for an ultimate 3-2.

Overall we won 7 rubbers to 2. One more round, then semis and finals.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 10:43 

No Thursday night at the club. Real Life (tm) intervened.

Ran the Saturday afternoon at the community centre. No new people turning up despite recent enquiries, but still a reasonable turn out.

Played comp on Monday night. First up played a smooth rubber / long pimples combination kid. As per last week absolutely no warm up with the long pimples. We traded games to 2-2 and we turned in the 5th with me 5-3 up for a loss 2-3. He twiddled on the back hand had a very surpringly good back hand put away with the smooth rubber. We won all 3 of the doubles, and I won my other singles 3-0. All 3 of our team won 1 and lost 1 for a 6-3 score line at the end of the night.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 10:42 

Played last Thursday, not very memorable in that I can't now remember very much apart from that I arrived home relatively early after it.

Ran the Saturday afternoon at the community centre - more inquiries in the morning but no-shows in the afternoon. To be fair it was around 30C.

Played last night at the club. Because our other team was playing comp on 2 tables, played a few doubles to begin with. Then played MD for a 2-1 win. I was almost untouchable in the 1st & 3rd games but lost the 2nd very easily. Next I played AF for 1-2. Then last of all JL for another (unusual) 1-2.

Still waiting to find out where we have come in our comp - we are coming 1st with 2 match results from other teams unreported.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2019, 10:45 

Played on Thursday night after assuming that I wouldn't. Consequently lost a game, but not the match, that I shouldn't have.

Ran the Saturday afternoon at the community centre. An older lady, a regular did not turn up. Now 2 weeks ago when playing doubles, her partner had hit her on the arm or wrist with her bat in going for a smash. Last week she had shown up with an arm / wrist looking black and blue. Then her partner in doubles (different partner to the week before) had accidentally gotten in her way and she had tripped and fallen in slow motion. Her partner from last week rang her and found out that she had hurt her hip - shades of osteoporosis. This older lady also plays tennis most weeks, so I had thought that she wasn't going to be one with that sort of predilection. May find out more next week.

Heard via SMS that we ultimately came 2nd. The competition web site has still not been updated with the missing results. We still get a home semi-final which is tonight.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2019, 06:45 

We won the semi-final 7-2, one of which I lost to a lefty penhold looper :(. We also lost the doubles I didn't play in.

Apparently the other semi is being deferred to next week, and on being told which night was able to work out who came first. So we have another week's wait. If the team that came first wins their semi, we play on Wednesday fortnight at their venue, if the team that came 4th wins we play on Monday week at our venue.

Tonight is the local association committee meeting where I will be asking some questions about communication (or lack thereof) of results.

Just checked, now we have the comp table updated at last, well after it was of any use for the determination of who is in the semi-finals and where & when they were to be played.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2019, 10:57 

At the meeting the decision was taken to only very lightly slap the wrists of the other semi-finalists who deferred their match without asking prior permission of the committee in contravention of the comp by-laws. Oh well.

Played on Thursday night at the club. My main memory was beating JL (who beat me last time).

Ran the Saturday afternoon at the community centre for a very good turnout. Gave the key to one of the regulars to run next Saturday as I won't be there. More on that later.

Played at the club last night. Won 2-1 against JT, the one I lost was against a number of nets and edges, but he was in a position to take advantage of them. Played another guy who has improved a lot. First game I tried not to use back- and side- spin, only using top- or no- spin, so he got up to 7 or 8. The remaining 2 games I reverted to my "normal" game. Then I played EC (long pimples / short pimples player) and lost the first pretty badly, won the 2nd by the proverbial skin of my teeth and won the third a bit more comfortably for 2-1. Then a couple of combinations of doubles among MD, AF, JL & myself. This was followed by a singles with MD where he won the first 11-9, I won the 2nd 11-9 and he got the third, you guessed it, 11-9 for a 1-2 score line.

On Friday I will be travelling to the Central West Round Robin tournament again, playing on Saturday (hope to see Dusty from here again) and travelling back on Sunday morning, so no Saturday afternoon at the community centre this weekend as previously alluded to.

Hopefully before I go we will discover who our opponents in the final are and consequently whether we will be playing on Monday night at our home venue or Wednesday night at their home venue.

There is some non table tennis stuff happening but won't burden dear gentle reader with it.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2019, 11:04 

Played at the club last Thursday, some singles and doubles for OK results.

Travelled out to the Central West tournament on Friday, stopping off at a couple of places to look at houses.

The tournament on Saturday consisted had 16 tables set up and 48 (some said 49) players. The format was round robins of 3 or 4 players, no deuce so 11-10 was a real winning score, no lets for balls from other tables unless the ball went in between the 2 players, best of 3 or 5 games.

First round robin group consisted of 1 player from each quartile based on Ratings Central Rating, so 4 players and the best of 3 games. Top 2 finishers went one way and bottom 2 players went the other. I was the top quartile player in my group. I played the bottom quartile player first for 11-0, 11-0. I also beat the other 2 players 2-0 to progress upwards.

Second round robin was again 4 players and I think best of 3 games. Here I had a loss but it didn't seem to matter, for a 2-1 result in the group.

Third round robin was 3 players, myself, GE -the only player I lost to last year, and a young gun from the ACT. I managed to beat GE in 5 after exchanging golden point results in the first 2 games. The young gun was easily too good so did me 0-3, although he admitted to being glad to not have played me first up, having umpired the match between GE & me. He was also too good for GE.

That meant that the young gun made the top table and I made the 2nd top table.

Final round robin was for prizes for each table. I played MK first up. His forehand serve was often just hidden but sometimes not. I didn't say anything until there was a blatant full arm in front of the ball. I stared very hard at the umpire who then admitted that the arm may or not have been in the way. I then said, addressed to the umpire but making sure my opponent could hear it, something like "I will say this only once. My opponent is serving hidden serves on the forehand more often than not and the last serve was only more blatant than any of the others". MK apologised saying that he had not realised that his arm was in the way. Of course from then on he served with his arm taken out of the way without missing a beat. I kept my suspicions to myself. I lost that match 0-3, but am sure that if I had not fixated on the forehand serve and its (il)legality I could have done better. As it was I beat SB 3-1 and AB for a 2-1 result. SB beat MK 3-2 & AB for a 2-1 result, and also MK beat AB for a 2-1 result. So it was a 3 way tie for 1st. Because I had not won any games in my loss to MK, I came 3rd despite beating SB who came 2nd, and MK came first. Oh well.

Overall, I came 7th out of 48 players with 3 losses, and 3rd on the 2nd table.

Last year I came 9th out of a similar number of players with 1 loss, but 1st on the 3rd table (so better prizes!).

Still, a group of us went out for Chinese on the Friday night, and a lot had dinner at a hotel on Saturday night to relive matches and renew friendships so it was a good tournament.

Looking forward to our comp final match on Wednesday night.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2019, 10:38 

Played at the club last night - last hit out before the final.

Started off with a couple of fun doubles. This was followed by a match with EC (long pimples / short pimples) for a 2-1 win. Then a match with JH for a relaxed 3-0, although his game is coming together more and he is getting more back. Then another doubles with AF, MD & M?, this time best of 5. Last of all was a singles with MD for 4-1 where I thought I played quite well.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2019, 14:53 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Retriever wrote:
Overall, I came 7th out of 48 players with 3 losses, and 3rd on the 2nd table.

Last year I came 9th out of a similar number of players with 1 loss, but 1st on the 3rd table (so better prizes!).

Well done mate, despite the lesser prize it's still an improvement. I also improved my result a little, with 11th overall, 3rd on the 3rd table.
I think last year I was 3rd on the 4th table.

I'm still a little miffed that I lost two 5 set matches in the 3rd round, otherwise I would have been on the 2nd table in the final round. I would have enjoyed playing you again (though no doubt with the same result!).

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 10:48 

Thanks for that, Dusty.

Played the final last night.

First up was me v SS, a young combo bat player with long pimples on the back hand. I went down 0-1, came back to 1-1 but ultimately lost 1-3. Us down 0-1.

CJ played ZZ, another combo bat player, slightly older but also with long pimples on the back hand, for 0-3. Us down 0-2.

We combined for doubles v SS & J? for a thrilling 3-2 win. Us down 1-2.

Next up was AF v J? for another thrilling 3-2 win. Us even at 2-2.

Then I played ZZ and went down 0-3 I think. Us down 2-3.

Then AF & I teamed up v ZZ & J?. We went down 1-3. Us down 2-4.

AF then played SS and lost very convincingly and the final was over for us. 2-5.

Our team all agreed that we needed more practice against long pimples combo players.

I, in my other role as member of the association committee then presented the shield for winning to the non-playing (at least in the final :) ) captain of the winning team, and photos were taken. As we played it all on one table it was a very long night, especially being on the losing side.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 10:46 

Ran the Community centre last Saturday afternoon. Am planning an end of year lunch before our last session in a couple of weeks and have handouts for when our last session for this year is and when we restart next year. Got given last week's fees, which together with this week's made it a whole lot of change. Had a hit too :).

Last night spent a fair bit of time at the club hitting with lower graders and playing doubles. Towards the end had a match with MD for 2-1 but as there was no-one waiting we continued on to best of 5. He got the next one for 2-2, then in the 5th I was ahead maybe 9-3 and lost. Oh well.

I also received an email from a guy who used to play in the local comp for years but had moved out to the country a couple of years ago. We had met up at the round robin open 2 weeks ago. He ended up on the top table while I ended up on the 2nd top table for the final round robin. I had told him we were thinking of moving out his way sometime. Still negotiating and looking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next