OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2019, 03:48 

Blade: Pingskills touch
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Yinhe Moon Pro
I’m a double-winged looper, but I am going to make a LP setup. It won’t be my main style, but I would like to give it a shot. Also to use with a couple players at club so we can help each other learn to play against LP. Probably mostly for at table blocks and away defensive chops, minimal attacking with the pips. I plan to use LP on both sides until Im somewhat competent to return the ball, then put smooth rubber on one side.

Please, any suggestions for a budget LP setup are helpful. Thanks!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2019, 05:57 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
Double Fish 1615 is a very good allround and cheap rubber.

For blades I guess that any ALL blade would do or something like the Yinhe LQ1 can be found cheap on AliExpress.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2019, 06:13 

Blade: Joola Carbon Pro
FH: LKT Rapid Speed 1.8
BH: Tibhar Grass D'tecs - OX
At least have on low friction LP and one with average friction. The difference is quite large and interesting to learn.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2019, 08:05 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Carpe Noctem wrote:
At least have on low friction LP and one with average friction. The difference is quite large and interesting to learn.

Specific rubbers? Name a few in each category (hopefully some cheap ones).

Also sponge/no sponge?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2019, 12:30 

Ok, I’ve got a paddle picked out on Aliexpress and a sheet of the 1615. I’m having s hard time telling the friction levels, but I would like to have one of each. I’d also like to try one with a thin sponge and one OX. Should the sponge be on the low friction or the high friction?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2019, 13:51 
Super User

TryHard wrote:
Ok, I’ve got a paddle picked out on Aliexpress and a sheet of the 1615. I’m having s hard time telling the friction levels, but I would like to have one of each. I’d also like to try one with a thin sponge and one OX. Should the sponge be on the low friction or the high friction?

You could try one of the following blades..

• Yinhe T-11 (Super-fast, but awesome for flat-hitting, but not for looping)
  • XVT Balsa Hinoki Carbon (I enjoy playing with it...Feather-light, Good speed, and excellent at flat-hitting.. You can also loop, with a bit of adjustment)
  • Yinhe LQ-1
  • Yinhe LQ-2
  • Yinhe 980
  • Sword 309 (Its, rated as a Def+ Blade, but I feel it's more like All/All+ .. Really nice for chopping. However, I found it to be quite heavy)

BTW, which blade from AliExpress, did you pick ?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2019, 19:03 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
Dawei 388D-1 (not to be confused with 388D) has got more grip than DF1615. Can also be found at very low prices.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2019, 19:07 

Blade: DONIC Defplay Senso V3
FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm
BH: TSP SpinpipsChop II 1.4mm
mart1nandersson wrote:
Dawei 388D-1 (not to be confused with 388D) has got more grip than DF1615. Can also be found at very low prices.

+1

In my club, all kids that would like to chop and play a Defensive game start with 388D-1 with 0.5mm sponge.

@work setup: blade: Yinhe 980 | FH: Yinhe Mercury2 2.1mm | BH: Yinhe Neptune 0.7mm
to-be-used setup: blade: DONIC DefPlay Senso 3 | FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 soft 1.8mm | BH: TSP SpinPips Chop 2 1.4mm

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2019, 02:58 

Thanks very much for the replies! I put in the order as Yinhe 980 blade, DF1615 ox, Dawei 388D-1 with 0.5 sponge. Since it’s 11-11, also threw in a couple smooth setups for the club as loaners after looking at another post. Now I need to get off AliExpress before more things get purchased :whew:

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2019, 14:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

One problem with using OX pips on both sides is that you'll have an extremely light bat. Not that that in itself would be a problem, but it's not realistic in terms of what one would be using "for real". So what you learn in terms of strokes and ball handling might feel very different compared to having a sheet of inverted on one side of the bat. Note that defensive blades are often large and heavy, this is possible because you're using one sheet of pips (which is lighter), and this makes the bat more like normal in weight. Using two sheets of OX pips would make even a large, heavy blade unusually light.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 08:05 

That’s a good point and something I hadn’t considered, Iksander. I’ll take into consideration that it may affect my strokes with different equipment. Really it’s that when I get the paddle I want to try to return everything with the LP to get a good feel for it since I won’t be able to twiddle well.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2019, 17:26 

The setup is definitely very light. Chopping defender is nowhere near as easy as experienced defenders make it look. Also, it feels like Im going nuts trying to be all over the court to get the ball back, which I’m guessing is why modern defenders like to loop on the forehand. But the defense blade makes is a lot easier than the offensive blade I had originally put LP on, so that’s a win.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2019, 17:50 
Super User

TryHard wrote:
The setup is definitely very light. Chopping defender is nowhere near as easy as experienced defenders make it look. Also, it feels like Im going nuts trying to be all over the court to get the ball back, which I’m guessing is why modern defenders like to loop on the forehand. But the defense blade makes is a lot easier than the offensive blade I had originally put LP on, so that’s a win.

How's the Yinhe 980 working-out for you ?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 06:42 

To be honest, I haven't tried it more than once. I've been changing from European to Chinese rubbers recently, so I've been trying a bunch of different smooth rubbers, trying to figure out what I want to stick with. On the one time I did try it, it was nice, almost like the blade soaked up extra speed from the ball to allow a good chop. It's not easy work running all over the court to return shots though :whew:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!