OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 08:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 01:02 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I recently bought a Butterfly Matsushita Pro from a forum member (Ridderz - TY.) I thought I would just keep this as a collector's item,but tried it out with 729 Bloom Power and 388D-1 with 0.5 mm sponge. Unsurprisingly, I am not great with the pips, but I do try to make sure that my team has some understanding of what they do, and am getting to the point where I don't send everything into the net. But the Bloom Power on the FH has been a revelation. Lots of spin and control with adequate speed.

So, I have ordered some more bloom power, so that I can use on both sides of a setup. My question: does anyone know if the composition of the BTY Matsushita Pro is the same as the Victas equivalent? I am going to look for a similar blade, with preferably a normal head size, to use with the rubbers. I would hate to break the old blade in a match.

So. similar blade in feel, or in terms of blade composition?

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 02:41 
Super User

I think I am allowed to wake up my own older thread...
Anyway, I have carried on using the Matsushita Pro blade with Dawei 388D-1 and Hurricane 3. I am now very happy with both hands. But I am still worried about having only one old blade, which is not easily replaceable.

I have tried the Donic Defplay Senso V3 and the Andrej Grubba All+, and already had a JSH, but none so far are the same as the MPM. (All are good blades, but not the same).
So, has anyone done a direct comparison of the BTY MPM v the VKM Defensive? It seems the most likely currently available blade. Alternatively does any one have a Black Tag Butterfly MPM that they wish to sell, preferably in the UK.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 06:50 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
Out of curiosity: What’s the issue with the other DEF blades that you have tried? Too fast when chopping / blocking?

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 11:12 

Blade: DHS 08x
FH: Haitian Otarriinae
BH: Palio CK531A
Yinhe made a clone blade of Butterfly Matsushita Pro, listed as 980 Pro here: https://tt-maximum.com/en/shop/blades/yinhe-milkyway-980-pro-def (We call it Yinhe Matsushita/Yinhe D598 in China)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 11:33 
Super User

mart1nandersson wrote:
Out of curiosity: What’s the issue with the other DEF blades that you have tried? Too fast when chopping / blocking?
It's difficult to put into words. The difference is probably due to the speed with which the ball comes off the pips, and the control that I feel on the FH side. With the same rubbers, and I mean I used the exact same rubbers, I can put the ball where I want, and with the FH, I can loop well and consistently. I don't hit as hard with the MPM as with the H301, but the ease of the top spins and the 'LP-ness' of the BH, with which I can now hit quite hard, makes up for the lesser power.

In the hand, none of the others feel quite as nice.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 11:54 
Super User

thwblueboy wrote:
Yinhe made a clone blade of Butterfly Matsushita Pro, listed as 980 Pro here: https://tt-maximum.com/en/shop/blades/yinhe-milkyway-980-pro-def (We call it Yinhe Matsushita/Yinhe D598 in China)

I have read about this blade, which I believe is now called more commonly the 980XX (I think mart1nandersson has or had one in fact). There seems to be a wide range of opinions about it. My own experience is that Yinhe blades, while being very well made in general, often turn out to be faster than I would like. Problematically, it is very difficult to try one before purchase.

I may well get one though.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 15:25 

Blade: DHS 08x
FH: Haitian Otarriinae
BH: Palio CK531A
darucla wrote:
thwblueboy wrote:

I have read about this blade, which I believe is now called more commonly the 980XX (I think mart1nandersson has or had one in fact). There seems to be a wide range of opinions about it. My own experience is that Yinhe blades, while being very well made in general, often turn out to be faster than I would like. Problematically, it is very difficult to try one before purchase.

I may well get one though.

The Yinhe 980XX (Kim Song I) is not the (so-called) Yinhe Matsushita but it maybe another (new) clone of Butterfly Matsushita Pro:
1. Yinhe claims 980XX is developed for Kim Song I, who use/used Butterfly Defence Pro. And Butterfly Defence Pro is no difference with Butterfly Matsushita Pro.
2. Some one got a beta version of Yinhe 980XX before it is called Kim Song I. Yinhe said it's no difference but harder than Yinhe Matsushita (maybe for ABS ball).
3. The length of handle is different: Yinhe 980XX is 95mm (ST) 100mm (FL) and Yinhe Matsushita is 100mm (ST only).
4. The price is different: Yinhe 980XX is 480RMB and Yinhe Matsushita is 180RMB.

You can try both version :rock:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 16:06 
Super User

Every seller uses the two names interchangeably, including in the link to TT-Maximum. I suspect there was a design change; i.e. in the face graphic after Kim Song I did so well in Rio. The BTY blade has a 95mm handle, so that ties in.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 23:02 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
darucla wrote:
mart1nandersson wrote:
It's difficult to put into words. The difference is probably due to the speed with which the ball comes off the pips, and the control that I feel on the FH side. With the same rubbers, and I mean I used the exact same rubbers, I can put the ball where I want, and with the FH, I can loop well and consistently. I don't hit as hard with the MPM as with the H301, but the ease of the top spins and the 'LP-ness' of the BH, with which I can now hit quite hard, makes up for the lesser power.

In the hand, none of the others feel quite as nice.

I've really struggled with the blade since I switch to LP. I recently had a 1:1 session with Lars Borg (the guy that founded Japsko.se) and he adviced me to switch to a slower blade than the VKM to achieve better chops. I've been playing with the Stiga Defensive Classic after receiving that advice and it's amazing on the LP side as I can chop VERY hard with confidence. The downside is that the blade delivers a very low arc when looping no matter if I use T05 or FastArc G-1. I will stick with it for the time being as I put more balls on the table which has improved my win/loss ratio quite dramatically. It's also quite competent at chop blocking (not a regular feature of my playing style).

The handle on the 980XX is very small so I can't use it even though I have fairly small hands.

The JSH, Diode V and VKM are all very very good looping blades but I simply can't use them for chopping without only chopping at 70%.

You can probably find the old Butterfly blade on eBay.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 23:48 
Super User

No hits on e-bay. Anyway, it would kind of be more useful if there was a blade in current production. I have ordered the Yinhe, and will see how it goes. I am sure it will be of good quality, and the handle size is the same as the MPM, so not an issue. If it disappoints, it will go in the collection... I would get the VKMD, but it's twice the price and it is still a gamble.

Incidentally, I have tried FastArc G1 with the MPM, but I find the combination with H3 to be much better, and to deliver a faster loop because of the top spin imparted. But luckily, everyone is different, which maintains a certain level of interest in the world.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 02:03 

Blade: Butterfly Hadraw Shield
FH: Donic Coppa 1.8
BH: Donic Coppa 1.8
https://revspin.net/blade/butterfly-hadraw-shield.html

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 03:18 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
darucla wrote:
I recently bought a Butterfly Matsushita Pro

So, I have ordered some more bloom power, so that I can use on both sides of a setup. My question: does anyone know if the composition of the BTY Matsushita Pro is the same as the Victas equivalent? I am going to look for a similar blade, with preferably a normal head size, to use with the rubbers. I would hate to break the old blade in a match.

So. similar blade in feel, or in terms of blade composition?

Unless I am missing something... you can just get Victas Koji Matsushita (regular) and it looks (and should play) identical to your blade. Years ago when Koji left Butterfly and joined TSP, first thing he did he released the close of his blade.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2019, 05:54 
Super User

I never used the old Butterfly Matsushita Pro blade, but I have used the original VKM for 6+ years now with no regrets. It's the best blade I've found for great offense and great defense.

USATT Rating: 2013

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2019, 22:42 
Super User

For completeness, I now have the Yinhe 980xx, and find it almost indistinguishable from the MPM, apart from being heavier, which may be put down to the older blade losing moisture over the years. I find I have to make no adjustments when switching between the two.
This has allowed me to use the Yinhe instead of the less replaceable BTY. I have switched completely to this setup in league play now, and am improving my win rate noticeably. So, another Yinhe is on order. I have now started to really master (as opposed to being totally rubbish) the LP, but still feel like I would like to do some "proper" BH strokes occasionally, so I will probably put H3 38 degree on the BH of the new blade, just to try it. Some of the players I come up against are not fazed at all by the LP, so having an option would be nice.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 22:55 
Super User

darucla wrote:
For completeness, I now have the Yinhe 980xx, and find it almost indistinguishable from the MPM, apart from being heavier, which may be put down to the older blade losing moisture over the years. I find I have to make no adjustments when switching between the two.
This has allowed me to use the Yinhe instead of the less replaceable BTY. I have switched completely to this setup in league play now, and am improving my win rate noticeably. So, another Yinhe is on order. I have now started to really master (as opposed to being totally rubbish) the LP, but still feel like I would like to do some "proper" BH strokes occasionally, so I will probably put H3 38 degree on the BH of the new blade, just to try it. Some of the players I come up against are not fazed at all by the LP, so having an option would be nice.

Hi darucla!

Did you manage to find a direct replacement for the butterfly matsushita Pro?

If so, how was it?