OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 08:22 

Blade: Pingskills touch
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Yinhe Moon Pro
I play at a non-profit club and try to help out a bit. The tables get dirty very quickly with sweat and dust. I was using a Frosch baking soda cleaner, but it has gotten a bit expensive. Looking for tips on how to and what cleaning agents to use for cleaning 6-7 tables once a week. Not really looking for table tennis - specific table cleaners because the ones I have seen are ridiculously expensive to clean this many tables this often. Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 10:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

A little dish soap, a little ammonia and water? That would be a general purpose glass cleaner, I suppose. I'd worry about eventual damage to the finish since it's water-based, however.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 13:01 
Super User

I never understood why sweat needs to find its way on the table. Those dirty, dirty table rubbers...

My old club just uses Windex. No issues to report.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 16:33 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
If the surface is badly damaged, clean with that Windex and if needed isopropyl alcohol.

I tried using Wax-on / Wax-off Wood polish on a Club-model Rollon Stag table and the surface got very shiny but sticky. Next time I will try using a Rub-on PU water-based varnish and see if I can't get a "glassy" smooth surface finish. :)

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 17:51 
Super User

man_iii wrote:
If the surface is badly damaged, clean with that Windex and if needed isopropyl alcohol.

I tried using Wax-on / Wax-off Wood polish on a Club-model Rollon Stag table and the surface got very shiny but sticky. Next time I will try using a Rub-on PU water-based varnish and see if I can't get a "glassy" smooth surface finish. :)

The question is; why would you want that?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 21:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
I would use some soap with neutral PH. I got some soap with neutral PH to clean my inverted rubber . It is cheap , 2 bars for 1 euro.No need for expensive rubber cleaners either. :) :) .

I boil water, then I add some little pieces of the soap I have previously grated :)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 21:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

DHS China, Shanghai, crappy piece of cellophane, known as Rainbow Exhibition Table. Shiny and skiddy stuff.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2019, 02:52 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
lasta wrote:
man_iii wrote:

Right. Stag Club Roll-On is the slowest piece of cr*p you can buy. Tt tables need to be very smooth and least amount of grip. So I can't really buy a new table...

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2019, 17:20 
Super User

Hi,

Some White Vinegar diluted in Water (50:50) works wonders ...

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2019, 21:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

lasta wrote:
man_iii wrote:

He doesn't like the ball jumping sideways? :lol:

igorponger wrote:
DHS China, Shanghai, crappy piece of cellophane, known as Rainbow Exhibition Table. Shiny and skiddy stuff.

And I wonder what prompted THIS. :lol:

man_iii wrote:
Right. Stag Club Roll-On is the slowest piece of cr*p you can buy. Tt tables need to be very smooth and least amount of grip. So I can't really buy a new table...

Sounds like you need one of those "DHS Rainbow" tables Igor's talking about above.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2019, 22:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I use the same inexpensive mix that I clean my pips with: A 20:1 dilution (with water) of Simple Green cleaner that I store in a generic spray bottle. For greasy table tennis tables, I spray it directly onto the table and wipe it away with a microfiber cloth. No residue or stickiness is evident and the table surface is dry and ready to use within 30 seconds.

For SP and LP, I get excellent results with this same 20:1 dilution by using a few sprays onto a microfiber cloth that I then use to buff the tips of the pips. I do this before each play session, and sometimes more often if gym conditions warrant it. Pips out players who have never cleaned their pips will discover greater consistency when playing with clean pips.

p.s. Have the common decency to clean up your own sweat droppings when you're done using a table that isn't yours! And don't even get me started on this sport's bizarre and unsavory practice of sweaty palm wiping on the table corners near the net posts..

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2019, 08:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

nathanso wrote:
And don't even get me started on this sport's bizarre and unsavory practice of sweaty palm wiping on the table corners near the net posts..

Does that even work? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 17:43 

Blade: SK Carbon /Garaydia T5000
FH: H3 Neo/TibharEvolutionMXP
BH: Spectol S1 /VictasV>15
Soda powder + white vinegar + water

The Buddha said: “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly,...” And to play table tennis.

天下武功 ,無堅不摧 ,唯快不破

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 10:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

lasta wrote:
man_iii wrote:

Not surprisingly - there are rules concerning friction of the table top. From Technical Leaflet T1:

http://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 016_v2.pdf

Quote:
4.8. Friction of the playing surface
The changes of both spin and trajectory when a table tennis ball bounces are governed
by the coefficient of friction (CoF) between the ball and the table; the part contributed by
the table to the CoF is almost exclusively a property of the surface finish. We formerly
specified the CoF of the playing surface, but have subsequently learned that there are
unidentified variables that reduce the reproducibility of the method. The following is
therefore advisory, not mandatory:
The dynamic CoF between the playing surface and that of any ITTF-approved ball
should not be greater than 0.6 6 and not be less than … (this limit will be set during
2016, and submitted to BoD in 2017). (you'd think they'd have set this by now.. :lol: ) The CoF should be essentially the same
regardless of the direction in which it is measured.
A simple practical method of determining coefficient of friction uses a triangular raft or
sled supported on three balls, about 2 cm apart, glued to a piece of wood or other
substance that gives a total weight of about 100g. The maximum angle between the
playing surface and the horizontal when the sled will not continue to slip is measured.
The tangent of this angle is the CoF.
Alternatively the 100g sled described above may be pulled over the horizontal table at a
speed of 300 mm/min, and the pulling force is measured. The dynamic CoF is pulling
force divided by the weight of the sled, both in Newtons. The average of five
measurements should be taken. Care should be taken that any device used for
determining the pulling force should be as free from friction as possible.
It should be noted that not all balls have the same frictional properties; The CoF should
be measured according to a standardized procedure including balls used and prior
cleaning of balls and tables.

Interestingly enough - there are rules against tables leaving green or blue marks on balls (this used to happen back in the 1970s).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 06:37 

Blade: Pingskills touch
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Yinhe Moon Pro
I don't know how players manage to get so much sweat on the tables sometimes, but I wish they would take their own towel to clean it up. Almost like somebody was just rolling around on a table sometimes. Our club is in a large indoor soccer warehouse where we rent space. Tons of dirt on the floor ends up on the balls, then the from the balls to table and my (formerly) tacky rubber. I had a gallon of white vinegar for other cleaning purposes, so I made a solution with that and water. It cleans well and doesn't change the surface of the table. Most importantly, it's cheap.