OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2019, 11:22 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Here are links to the proposals being voted on later on this month:

https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Propositions_to_2019_AGM.pdf

https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Propositions_and_Resolutions_to_2019_BoD.pdf

To summarise:
AGM
1.Changes to the constitution - jurisdiction of associations - membership & unaffiliated players and organizations
2.Changes to the constitution - co-opting IOC members to the Executive committee
3.Changes to the constitution regarding visiting players for TTX (!) & Veterans - allows players to enter Veterans (& TTX) events directly
4.Changes to the constitution to allow the Executive committee to allocate events to national associations or other organizations
5.Changes to the laws - 2.3.3 The ball shall be made of (celluloid or similar plastics - removed) plastic material and
shall be white, yellow or orange, and matt. {Note the addition of yellow & removal of mention of celluloid}.
6.Changes to the laws - 2.4.6 The surface of the covering material on a side of the blade, or of a side of the blade if it is left uncovered, shall be matt, (bright red on one side and black on the other - remove) black on one side, and of a bright colour clearly distinguishable from black and from the colours of the ball as defined in Law 2.3.3, on the other.
7.Changes to the laws - 2.10.1 Unless the rally is a let, a player shall score a point
. . . . . . . . .
2.10.1.7 if an opponent deliberately strikes the ball (twice - remove) more than once in succession -{ if you can hit it more than twice in the one stroke good luck}

BoD
8. Changes to regs for international comps - Executive committee not Bod to allow experimental rules in competitions
9. Changes to regs for international comps - Changes to doubles clothing regs for team matches
10.Changes to regs for international comps - Another change to doubles clothing regs for teams matches
11.Changes to regs for international comps - Changes to clothing regs at open tournaments
12.Changes to regs for international comps - Veterans can play in a smaller court (10m x 5m vs 14m x 7m)
13.Changes to regs for international comps - Allow advertisements in the playing are for alcoholic beverages but not distilled alcoholic drinks {I'll drink to that , hic}
14.Changes to regs for international comps - Advertisements on the net can now be solid
15.Changes to regs for international comps - No numbers on the back of the shirt so more room for advertising.
16.Changes to regs for international comps - Changes to seeding so that players from the same association will only be separated in the first round.
17.Changes to regs for international comps - Allow Veterans events to be player entry, no need for approval from the association, as is currently
18.Changes to regs for international comps - More on allowing Veterans events to be player entry as per 17
19.Changes to regs for international comps - Changes to the Olympic team matches order of play
20.Changes to regs for international comps - More on seeding separation as per 16
21.Changes to regs for international comps - More on seeding separation as per 16 but Olympics
22.Changes to regs for international comps - New format for the World Championships - 3 options
23.Changes to regs for international comps - Regulations for World Veterans Championships
24.Changes to regs for international comps - Change to World Junior Championships to get full entries when some quota entries are unused
A. Changes to regs for international comps - Celluloid balls to no longer be approved
B. Changes to regs for international comps - ETTU wants changes to the World Championships to be postponed see 22
C. Changes to regs for international comps - ETTU wants more of its teams in the World Team Championships {and cites statistics to prove it!}

No, I don't know why the numbering went from 24 to A above.

To summarise my summary:
1. Celluloid is now gone according to the ITTF
2. Someone doesn't like red rubbers so wants them to be bright and not the same colour as the ball
3. If you can hit the ball more than twice in the one stroke it is now illegal
4. Veterans must not be as mobile as senior or junior players but are more mobile than wheelchair players
5. ITTF wants a finger in the World Veterans Championships pie and is willing to take it on as is
6.China won't play China in the first round of ITTF tournaments but will in subsequent rounds
7. ETTU is a bit of a stick in the mud and thinks it deserves more.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2019, 18:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks Retriever! :up: :up: :up:

The rule about allowing other colours apart from red is interesting, not sure what the motivation is, but I'm sure they'll benefit from further approval fees.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 09:29 

I have had discussions with a TTA board member about how to get proposals put forward. If I sent a proposal to TTA it would apparently get forwarded to the National Umpires and Referees Committee. My thought is that I will instead go via the state URC, writing an email to the secretary with proposals, reasons etc.

Boosting - either make it totally legal for players as well, or make it totally illegal for manufacturers as well. The first would probably be a rehash of the proposal from last (?) year that was withdrawn (suspiciously?) prior to the AGM.

Minimum friction rule - either remove it for pimples out or instigate it for pimples in (antis).

I thought about the pimple aspect ratio rule, but it appears to already apply to both pimples in and pimples out, but it is pimples out (long) players that have complained long and hard. The 2 issues I am looking at are both "illogical" in their present form.

I will wait until after the results of the AGM and the BoD have become known and any changes to the ITTF handbook have been made so that my proposals are not "stale".

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 09:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

THE NO BOUNCE SHOT.
Lion Mantlet
This is my most sincere believe,
-- there is no formal prohibition for you to perform "no bounce" shot in competitive play, since there is no written Rule to prohibit such a trick.
I am a judge, I dont see any Rule to prevent the player from doing such a trick.

Yes, it was up to 1981, that there was an explicit provision in the scope of Table Tennis Rules to specifically deal with the "no bounce" strokes.
-- the rule has had something like "The ball cant be caught on the racket and thrown "
And this provision had then been expurgated (for no good reason) from the Rule Book, ever since the year 1981.

As a result, some players could now get opponent embarassed with such a trick, and we still have no good reason to fault the trickster. We still don't have a sustaining provision in the Rules, and it would be most reasonable to get the pre1981 Rule back now, I strongly believe. To give umpires /players a more explicit guidance

------------------------------------------------------

As a good example, BADMINTOM COMPETETIVE RULES still prohibits the ball catching, in most open terms, see Rule (f).

Quote:
-- f) The shuttle is hit more than once or comes to rest or is momentarily caught on the racquet
and thrown.

-------------------------------------------

Many of the sports umpires, even those Blue Badge, do struggle in dealing with the "ball catching, no bounce" case, (as on the Nippon sample video afore). Every rule must be well understood with every player at the root level, no ambiguity in reading of the rule is acceptable.

This is why I do forward the idea of further revision of the rule 2.10.1.7, like this
Quote:
2.10.1 Unless the rally is a let, a player shall score a point
2.10.1.7 if an opponent deliberately strikes the ball more than once in succession
or catches the ball on the racket and then throws.

* Shown in red is the rule amendment to be submitted for the next ITTF AGM 2020.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2019, 10:38 

The AGM & BOD meeting draft minutes have appeared now:
https://documents.ittf.sport/

As well as a couple of EC meeting minutes. Yee haa.