OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 65  Next
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 02:03 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Slip rails... ? Where you tie up the horses? Or would they be what they call a spur line in the US? Or a siding?

The faith that grows firmer from watching in vain
She'll wait by the slip rails for you..

Iskandar

When a pen is made out of posts and rails, one panel has rails that can be slid out of the way to form a gateway. Therefore, when you're waiting for your love to return, the slip rails will be where he (or she) arrives to pen his (or her) horse.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 02:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah... I did a web search and found several pictures. Aside from corrals they also put them in doorways of barns and stables. They even sell brackets just for this. I guess it's easier and lighter than building a gate, and if you just use two rails only the upper one need slip, the horse can step over the lower one. Don't remember seeing any in cowboy movies, but then...

This next one.. Well, that parody of "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" was sort of a combination of that song and this one. About one of the sorts of trials one has to endure as a professional folk musician.

I didn't realize there were Dylan impersonators (Elvis ones, yes..) until I heard a piece on NPR about a Bob Dylan festival that takes place every year somewhere in New England. They played several clips of performances (which seemed mainly done for the humor rather than actual fidelity to the original, judging from the way the audience was reacting). One guy even sang a duet with himself - "You don't bring me flowers" - I think the female part was supposed to be Barbra Streisand. Apparently impersonating Dylan is a little complicated - there were several versions you could choose from, e.g. "before accident and voice change Dylan".

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 05:50 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 13:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Wow... they even sound like The Seekers... :lol:

There's something about this song that lends itself to two part harmony. Keith Potger was one of the original Seekers.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2020, 02:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Banjo Paterson's magnum opus. This is worth a listen. Set aside fifteen minutes, probably best right before bedtime, get a cup of hot cocoa, it'll need your full attention.

The entire poem's on the Australian $10 bill - the WHOLE poem, in teeny tiny letters. Probably to thwart them pesky Russian counterfeiters (if you find a ten dollar note with all the definite articles left out of the poem - e.g. "Clancy of Overflow" - it's counterfeit.. :lol: ).

Oh.. I found this some days ago:

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks/e00073.html

THAT should keep me occupied for hours...

Iskandar

Post subject: Happy Australia day
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 02:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It's the 26th here, so let me wish you all a happy Australia Day (or for those celebrating Survival Day instead, happy Survival Day).

So this is the last video I'll be posting here, at least until next month.. :lol: I hope more people enjoyed the posts than were annoyed by them.

You really do learn things watching random videos. For instance, this concert was held before an Australian Rules Football match. So I learned that with Australian Football 1) the pitch is ROUND!, 2) the players wear these sleeveless, er, what do you call them - tank tops? :lol: The shorts kinda look abbreviated, too. From another video I found out that, to run with the ball, you have to dribble said object on the ground, much like in basketball, except the ball's oval (like a rugby ball), which makes it more complicated. What ARE those white bags all along the perimeter of the field? Are they part of the game? Can players run into them, or jump on top of them?

By the way, it's also the Chinese New Year (this year is the Year of the Mouse, apparently..). In my youth, around here, everyone (including TV commentators) said "Kong Hee Fatt Choy", these days it's "Gongxi Fa Cai" (no idea how one pronounces this correctly).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 00:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PLASTIC BALLS. ROTATIONAL THERMO MOLDING --much the same technology as widely used for making seamless table tennis balls, e/g Minkow famous factory in Shanghai.

It works, indeed.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2020, 21:03 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asi ... ink1_.auin

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 02:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I wonder if this "add oil" actually means "step on the gas" (in American English). In Malay we say "tekan minyak" (literally "push the oil") to mean stepping on the accelerator. I suspect it's the same thing in Chinese.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2020, 01:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This one is sort of an inside joke for Malaysians and Indonesians. Most Malaysians have probably heard this song on TV or on the radio at some point, and thought it was a song about rocking Pak Lingam's (i.e. Mr. Lingam's) baby to sleep. Mr. Lingam would be someone of Indian ethnicity, I've had three different Mr. Lingams as teachers when I was in school. And then you think about it one day, and you think.. really. That doesn't make sense, why would there be a song about rocking Mr. Lingam's baby to sleep? So you look it up. Thank goodness for YouTube. And that's how I found this video.

I suppose I'd paddle that fast too, if there was a shark chasing behind... :lol:

Iskandar

(Turns out Palinggam is a village in the city of Padang, in Western Sumatra, where they hold this boat race festival every year.. Anak Palinggam refers to the villagers..)

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020, 11:45 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Great skill and control with the skateboard. Made my palms sweat watching the video though.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2020, 02:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Something a little different for St. Valentine's Day.

I used to post reminders on my various mailing lists to buy chocolates on February 16th... they're usually 1/2 off, at least in the US.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2020, 18:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

One of the comments said "3:18 CREEPY DEMONIC LAUGH" so I had to watch until the end.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 21:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Das Bhoot.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 12:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 65  Next