OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus scare
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 05:16 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
our teams competition starting date has been delayed by a month - to late March. I wonder if it could affect the World vets in Bordeaux? Too early to tell... but I have held off buying flights.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2020, 12:27 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

There are now so many countries with people infected with the Covid-19 virus. :(

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2020, 11:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

DHS INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS- WASHABLE RACKETS, DJ 40+ ball of excellent accuracy.

https://k.sina.com.cn/article_216452120 ... =none&tr=9

Quote:
In addition to the rebound trainer stick, Double Happiness also introduced the industry's first washable table tennis and badminton rackets. New materials are used to replace the wooden structure. The racket can be washed and disinfected, which is in line with the requirements of health and safety movement during the epidemic.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2020, 13:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The amount of time Igor spends thinking up this stuff and messing with photoshop.. Probably hasn't anything better to do. :lol:

DJ40+ ... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2020, 23:31 

In Hong Kong, all venues of indoor sports have been closed since the end of January. We are forced to find privet tables to practice but all tournaments were canceled as well.

I heard that the Chinese National team will be practicing in Japan until the Olympic with the concern that they will be infected one day in China.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2020, 13:27 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

According to the paper a couple weeks back they were in Qatar or Doha or somewhere else over there. So is their badminton team.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2020, 05:27 

shaolinTT wrote:
By the time Olympics comes around, this virus should pass. Like a typical "flu", this Covid 19 should pass when the season changes, and it gets quite hot in temperature, especially in Wuhan in the summer. However, this virus or the mutated versions of it, will likely return and stay. Vaccines will one day be available, maybe part of the "flu shot"?

You're sure it will just pass like flu? Are you a virologist/epidemiologist? Just wondering - I'm a microbiologist and am not as optimistic as you are. There are far too many unknowns at the moment to make predictions on seasonality. There have been several cases in eg Singapore, and that's not particularly cold at the moment.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2020, 11:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What they're predicting is that the number of cases will increase until a significant percentage (70% for Germany, apparently) has gotten it, and then it will die down since people who have been infected and have recovered are immune. How long this takes will depend on how fast it spreads. The problem is if cases spike too fast the peak number of cases will overwhelm emergency room and hospital facilities, while if the spread can be slowed down the system might be able to handle it. The downside is that it will take longer for the pandemic to die down if that's the case, it'll drag on longer. In any case we're talking billions of cases worldwide and tens of millions of deaths.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2020, 13:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

https://m.eacheng.net/Alcohol-Disinfect ... 36829.html

Still going in for playing the game? Safety first.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 01:01 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I work in DC in the largest hospital in the entire DC/MD/VA area. It usually takes me 1.5-2 hours to get in. Today with all he school and federal government lockdown, it took me 45 minutes to get to work...during rush hour. Crazy! It's never like that even on a holiday.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 01:39 

shaolinTT wrote:
igorponger wrote:
THINGS GETTING WORSE AND WORSE. .

By the time Olympics comes around, this virus should pass. Like a typical "flu", this Covid 19 should pass when the season changes, and it gets quite hot in temperature, especially in Wuhan in the summer. However, this virus or the mutated versions of it, will likely return and stay. Vaccines will one day be available, maybe part of the "flu shot"?

This may happen...it may not. Remember, consider this. MERS (The ME meaning Middle East) is a coronavirus that began in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in May and June. The average daytime temp there was above 109, and got up to 115. So, the idea that heat and hot weather are always going to curb viral outbreaks is not necessarily true. for influenza, which his is not, that is pretty standard.

Ebola, another virus, tho not corona, made the jump to humans and had outbreaks in equatorial Africa. Again, viruses don't all respond negatively to hotter weather.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 06:40 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
We played the monthly Vets league last Sunday. First of all, just before the start we were gathered together and anyone with any symptoms was invited to go home straight away. Then we were instructed to use the alcohol based hand sanitiser that was scattered throughout the hall before and after matches, before and after eating. We were also told not to shake hands or wipe our hands on the table. Among the people I played, we all used elbow bumps instead of hand shakes, and at least once inclined heads to the umpire to thank them at the end of a match.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 01:16 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

kuifje wrote:
shaolinTT wrote:

You're sure it will just pass like flu? Are you a virologist/epidemiologist? Just wondering - I'm a microbiologist and am not as optimistic as you are. There are far too many unknowns at the moment to make predictions on seasonality. There have been several cases in eg Singapore, and that's not particularly cold at the moment.

You are correct. My apology. There is still so much we don't know.
"State of emergency" is declared where I am, in Canada. Situation is much worse in other parts of the world
I wish everyone in this forum is safe. This will pass. Hang in there.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 01:28 

If someone sneezes or coughs once, the virus can survive airborne for 3 hours. 3!

So, sure, social distancing and cleaners are a must. But you must make sure nobody sneezes or coughs (good luck).

I suspect that heavy breathing due to exertion (you know, like when you play TT) has a airborne droplet consequence as it does with many of my patients.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 01:36 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

It's the non-playing hand that's touching the ball when we serve, and I don't think we should breathe into and rub the rubber like Ma Lin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next