OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020, 15:29 

Hello, I've been playing casually for the past few years and want to get a bit serious and train. I am thinking of buying the following items so please let me know if you would add, remove or modify anything there. Just want to be ready to train hard.

Sanwei Pro F3
DHS Hurricane Neo 3 black
Xiom Vega pro red
Yasaka edge tape
Andro salta double racket case
Butterfly soft grip tape
Andro speedball pack of 9
Donic vario clean glue 37 ml

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020, 23:01 
Super User

A bit advanced for someone coming from casual play, but the rubbers are serviceable.

Blade though, not a good idea. Suggest and OFF- all wood. 5 ply or a thin 7-ply works and would give you much better feel for the ball than that composite (I'm assuming a Viscaria-type blade).

My personal favourite "balanced" blade is the Donic Persson Power Play (<6mm 7 ply, very crisp feel, fast enough but very manageable).

Also any off- blade would work:
Stiga Offensive Classic
Butterfly Primorac
Sanwei N11
Sanwei M8 (alot of good reviews, but I think its a bit flimsy)

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020, 23:09 

lasta wrote:
A bit advanced for someone coming from casual play, but the rubbers are serviceable.

Blade though, not a good idea. Suggest and OFF- all wood. 5 ply or a thin 7-ply works and would give you much better feel for the ball than that composite (I'm assuming a Viscaria-type blade).

My personal favourite "balanced" blade is the Donic Persson Power Play (<6mm 7 ply, very crisp feel, fast enough but very manageable).

Also any off- blade would work:
Stiga Offensive Classic
Butterfly Primorac
Sanwei N11

Thank you for your reply. I have played in semi serious tournaments in the past and have done well, just trying to upgrade equipment at the moment. Thank you for the blade advice but every single blade you listed as an alternative is not available on the website I'm using lol.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020, 23:20 
Super User

Which website are you using? What blade are you using now? Would be a good benchmark.

I would also recommend replacing the balls with DHS D40+. Chances are you'll come across that much more often than Andro balls.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020, 23:31 

lasta wrote:
Which website are you using? What blade are you using now? Would be a good benchmark.

I would also recommend replacing the balls with DHS D40+. Chances are you'll come across that much more often than Andro balls.

I am using megaspin, I can't use AliExpress at the moment because I'm leaving the US next week so need to purchase this in the following 24 hours. I have been playing with the same premade racket for two years, the Stiga Titan. The balls are the same time issue, if I could I would order them off AliExpress. Some fast research tells me the website I'm using has the following allwood blades:
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (I'm liking this one the most)
Sanwei Fextra
Yasaka Battle Balsa (actually not sure if this is a off- allwood)
Yasaka Sweden Extra
Yasaka Silver allwood
Yasaka all-round plus
Gewo allround classic
Donic waldner offensive 2016

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 00:05 
Super User

Of that list, I would choose the Fextra. 6.5mm 7-ply, solid OFF. Can't go wrong.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 00:11 

lasta wrote:
Of that list, I would choose the Fextra. 6.5mm 7-ply, solid OFF. Can't go wrong.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm not sure what the main differences are between 5ply and 7ply, but I've read that 5ply blades are lighter and I think it would be better for my wrists and hands specifically. Will my game suffer a lot if I choose a 5ply like the Ma Lin Extra Offensive?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 02:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

lasta wrote:
Stiga Offensive Classic
Butterfly Primorac
Sanwei N11

The N11 is actually Yinhe. I used it before I changed to the M8. Nice, crisp flat hit, a little faster than the M8. I can't chop with it (I can with the M8).

I would suggest this combo:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1308156861.html

No need to worry about buying glue or edge tape, and there's an option with a case.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 02:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

BananaOG wrote:
lasta wrote:

I am using megaspin, I can't use AliExpress at the moment because I'm leaving the US next week so need to purchase this in the following 24 hours. I have been playing with the same premade racket for two years, the Stiga Titan. The balls are the same time issue, if I could I would order them off AliExpress. Some fast research tells me the website I'm using has the following allwood blades:
Sanwei Fextra
Yasaka Sweden Extra
Yasaka Silver allwood
Yasaka all-round plus
Gewo allround classic

Yasaka Sweden Extra, or Yasaka Allround Plus (I assume this last one's a five ply). The Fextra is a Clipperoid, somewhat heavier and faster than the 5 ply blades. Probably try it later on.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 04:00 

iskandar taib wrote:
BananaOG wrote:
lasta wrote:

Sanwei Fextra
Yasaka Sweden Extra
Yasaka Silver allwood
Yasaka all-round plus
Gewo allround classic

Yasaka Sweden Extra, or Yasaka Allround Plus (I assume this last one's a five ply). The Fextra is a Clipperoid, somewhat heavier and faster than the 5 ply blades. Probably try it later on.

Iskandar

Thanks for your input as well, I'm changing opinion on which blade I should buy now :D

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 05:55 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
BananaOG wrote:
Hello, I've been playing casually for the past few years and want to get a bit serious and train. I am thinking of buying the following items so please let me know if you would add, remove or modify anything there. Just want to be ready to train hard.

Sanwei Pro F3

I have that blade and it's way too fast/stiff... :( :n: Not a blade for casual player by any means.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 06:53 

Roy wrote:
BananaOG wrote:

Sanwei Pro F3

I have that blade and it's way too fast/stiff... :( :n: Not a blade for casual player by any means.

Well what I really meant was more intermediate, but I agree that the blade is not the best choice right now

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 16:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you can get one, get a Sanwei M8. I really like mine (I have quite a few.. :lol: ). Easiest way to get one is through AliExpress but you say that's out for now. Well, order one (or two or three) anyway... they don't have an expiry date.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 16:53 

iskandar taib wrote:
If you can get one, get a Sanwei M8. I really like mine (I have quite a few.. :lol: ). Easiest way to get one is through AliExpress but you say that's out for now. Well, order one (or two or three) anyway... they don't have an expiry date.. :lol:

Iskandar

Thank you for the recommendation, when I travel I will look into this blade. What are some good rubbers to pair it with?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 17:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Pretty much everything I've tried works... :lol: It's a matter of how much money you want to pay. A couple of $10 Chinese sheets, maybe.. AK47 Blue, perhaps. Or if you want to spend 3-4 times as much maybe Rakza 7.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!