OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 06:43 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
Def-attack wrote:
They are very different. OG feels like Diabolic ES, a little harder perhaps (at least in 0.8 mm). OG has better spin reversal than Diabolic and lower throw. With Stiga balls ABS2 has clearly less spin reversal than OG and is also faster and with higher arc on blocks. But ABS2 is good for attacks against back spin. OG is ok for that but since it is very slippery you need to be cautious with bat angle etc. Hard attacks with little spin is tricky to handle with a thin OG (like with most antis).

Thanks for your feedback!
I never played the Diabolic (or any other MSP anti) but I assume it plays softer than the ABS2. Did you try the Barna Glanti with a thicker sponge as well?

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 08:34 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I tried OG in 1.2 mm and in the clip above we actually used a 0.8 mm with an extra 0.8 mm red sponge (same as Vortex) under, so that would make it a little slower than OG 1.6 mm with its original yellow sponge (that one I have not tried yet). 1.2 mm would be great on Deluxe I guess on TCT it is better with even slower. I am guessing 1.2 mm red sponge with OG topsheet on TCT blade would be very good. We did try to remove the sponge from the OG but that felt very close to impossible (so instead we used a thin red under 0.8 mm).

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 09:52 
Super User

I don't see any spin reversal in this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JqXcc5Dy3c
The attacker loops over the table and even pushes balls over the table. The attacking with the Super Glanti looks pretty nice though.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 20:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
^looks good

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 21:49 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I had the same thought as you Matt, the balls looked mostly dead, and not all that short. Nowhere near the reversal that you see in Scandal or Reflection.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 22:01 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

dwruck wrote:
I had the same thought as you Matt, the balls looked mostly dead, and not all that short. Nowhere near the reversal that you see in Scandal or Reflection.
It has better reversal than Scandal if you use ABS-balls (Scandal is not good with ABS). But it is very sensitive when it comes to combination of thickness and blade. Also, technique is important, blocks should be directed almost down, not up. So it is not always the best to take the ball as early as possible, rather wait a little so it is higher and you can block it down rather than up. And you should have a light contact, trying to remove speed. Also, how tight grip you have on your bat can vary the spin.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 02:51 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I have to disagree when it comes to Scandal. I've been training with it for about 3 months now, and it gets a crazy amount of reversal with the latest balls.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 02:58 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

dwruck wrote:
I have to disagree when it comes to Scandal. I've been training with it for about 3 months now, and it gets a crazy amount of reversal with the latest balls.
Sorry, my bad, I was not very precise in my description. My experience with Scandal is limited to the Stiga Perform, the least spinning ball. And for some reason that one and Scandal is a horrible match. But I have no idea how it works with other ABS balls.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 08:50 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I’ve used it with many tournament grade (Nittaku, Joola, XuShaoFa, DHS) and training balls and get some crazy levels of reversal against spinny loops.
When I watch that video, I see a list of float balls, if you notice most of the misses by his first training partner are long. It looks to me like he’s lifting the ball, expecting heavier under, and it’s more dead. The performance looks more similar to the Dr N ABS rubbers than other DMS rubbers.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 13:19 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
The performance looks more similar to the Dr N ABS rubbers than other DMS rubbers.

Doug, I am not sure if you have played with Dr. N ABS2 but I do get good reversal with it on spinny loops. We mostly play with Nittaku Premium or the practice balls. My practice partners do not loop over the table as seen in the video.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 22:16 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Hi Matt. I did try the ABS2 and ABS2 Soft. You are correct, there is some reversal, but from my experience not as much reversal as DMS rubbers like Scandal and Reflection. ABS2 versions do seem to attack better and offer other benefits. I was trying to express that in terms of spin reversal, it appears to be Scandal>ABS2>Barna Glanti. Which is fine, different people want different things out of their rubbers. I would think the Glanti would be easier to control and use, that's always the classic trade-off in defensive rubbers, the trickier for opponents, the more difficult for the user.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2020, 10:12 
Super User

Blade: Gerry Viscaria Super ZLC
FH: Tuttle G20 President
BH: Slick antispin
dwruck wrote:
it appears to be Scandal>ABS2>Barna Glanti. Which is fine, different people want different things out of their rubbers. I would think the Glanti would be easier to control and use, that's always the classic trade-off in defensive rubbers, the trickier for opponents, the more difficult for the user.

I have to disagree.
I tried both Scandal (0.9mm) ABS 2(2.1mm) and Super Glanti (0.8mm). We use some Chinese training balls (forgot the name) and in terms of spin reversal: SG>Scandal>Abs 2.
SG is also the fastest and is the easiest to attack with.
They were mounted on blades with hard outter ply (mahogany, walnut)
But I agree the video from DMS looks bad.

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 08:31 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Interesting, maybe they need a video with Amir using it. I absolutely love watching his game.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 17:22 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Haven't tested it yet, but RED .8 GLANTI weighed 33 grams UNCUT

No real opponents to battle during the quarantine... though I tested it out on the robot, and having done so in the past with many other rubbers, then testing them in live play -- I think my sense of what a rubber will do on a robot vs human is pretty well honed in by this point.

Tested on a custom blade: 7.2mm thick, 104 grams, with 2 layers of carbon and a walnut backhand outerply along with a koto forehand outerply

- Very good reversal, probably the best I've seen or as good as any other I've used (DMS reflection, scandal etc. and dr neubauer tarantula, rhino etc.)
- Speed in .8 is fairly zippy in comparison to something like reflection 1.5 - didn't feel much slower than OX d.tecs when hitting into the ball, though still held a slower gear which was easier to unlock than OX LP
- Ball trajectory is lower than other rubbers, due in part I believe to the thinner sponge which flattens out the trajectory by adding speed off the bounce
- Great ability to attack backspin balls because of the high reversal
- Attacks against no-spin or low-spun balls can be fast, but lack consistency as expected when using any low grip rubber

Final thoughts on first impression: A decent speed, high reversal anti spin that is geared a little more toward the offensive side of the spectrum and sacrifices some control for speed and pressure. Not to the degree of faster antis like DMS diabolic or Dr N rhino for example. To me it feels softer, and makes for a nice half-way anti between ones such as dms reflection and dr n tarantula.

*** Weighed the 1.2 red UNCUT sheet at 34 grams. So only 1 gram heavier going from .8 to 1.2 sponge

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2020, 18:17 
Super User

Blade: Gerry Viscaria Super ZLC
FH: Tuttle G20 President
BH: Slick antispin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9VTJxdOfgc
Impressive

BH - Slick antispin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next